The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

It won’t be. If the Board tell their side of the story and it differs from the snipers agenda story and the DGW story they won’t believe the Board 

They could at least try. Something they haven’t really done yet. Hopefully soon though if what some are saying is going to be the case. 

5 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

He (Hartley) recommended Richard “Mitch” Mitchell as our down south scout but the idea of signing players from down south came from Mr Campbell.

So it was Hartley’s idea to get in an English scout and Hartley’s idea to sign a bunch of English players he hadn’t seen on the recommendation of their agent, but somehow not his idea to sign players from down south?

I really don’t understand some peoples desire to re write history wrt Hartley. He is a significant part of the reason why we are where we are imo.

Guest Ecosse83
8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It won’t be. If the Board tell their side of the story and it differs from the snipers agenda story and the DGW story they won’t believe the Board 

An agenda story now 😂

You wouldn’t know the truth so why deny something so strenuously that you don’t know anything about? 

Edited by Ecosse83

3 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

An agenda story now 😂

You wouldn’t know the truth so why deny something so strenuously that you don’t know a anything about? 

There are people coming on here with agendas. Not you necessarily but there are. It is obvious to anyone with any gumption. 
The Board side of the DGW story will be asked at an AGM I am sure. I 100% think some won’t believe what they say if it differs what some have been told by others. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

There are people coming on here with agendas. Not you necessarily but there are. It is obvious to anyone with any gumption. 
The Board side of the DGW story will be asked at an AGM I am sure. I 100% think some won’t believe what they say if it differs what some have been told by others. 

Fair enough decent response, my opinion is although they did go for him it’s done now and they won a watch by not getting him. I think  everyone was surprised at the backlash Raith received over it and maybe there was a bit of naivety there being interested in him. 

The Griffiths stuff I don’t agree with, I was happy when we signed him and really thought he’d do well but hey ho it didn’t work out, these things happen!

Anyway this is the last I’m going to say on the above subject, I only want what’s best for the club and the new guys need supported, they won’t get everything 100% correct, who does? The sniping on here will hopefully die down soon! 

Agendas? You’ve had an agenda for years to cause disruption and criticise the club. Now your group are in power no-one is allowed to criticise the bod.

Nothing wrong with holding the board to account - if they do a good job we won’t have anything to complain about. AGM is a long time away and not open to the ordinary fan.

While I can see the arguments for and against a youth academy it is worth bearing in mind that the so called 'Big 8' with Elite level funding hoover up most of the kids.  There are 12 further academies that receive funding of various degrees from the SFA.  Most of the 'best' youngers end up here. 

There has always been a feeling that parents egos play a big part in which club a youngster signs.  Many a parent loves to say that their kid has signed for The Rangers or The Celtic rather than for their local club where they would have more chance of actually breaking through to the first team.  Ask yourself, over the last 10 years for example, how many youngsters have come through the academy and played in The Rangers first team.  One or two will break through and that sells papers when quoted as being the next big thing in the Scotland squad.  However, it is big name signings that sells jerseys at Old Firm clubs and that will always be their signing policy.  

This all being so, is it not more financially prudent to have the 'Elite 8' funded clubs coach these youngsters until the age of 18 to 20 at which time they are released and then sign players from this pool?   Look at any club in the lower leagues and you can guarantee that there are a large volume of players who came through a Premier League club youth system but did not make it.  Its not to say that these players being released are poor.  No, there just comes a time where they have to be offered a professional contract and if they are not close to at least being on the bench regularly for the first team, they are set free.  Andy Robertson, probably the best left wing-back in the world, was released by Celtic.  Falkirk themselves signed Daryl Duffy from The Rangers and sold him for a handsome profit just a few years later.

While bringing a player through from the academy is always a great thing and allows the fans to say he is one of our own, is it not worth investing time and money in scouting the youth systems of others teams and signing the best of their end of season freebies who are closer to first team action when signed rather than years away in our own youth system?

Just an alternative point of view worth debate

36 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

Agendas? You’ve had an agenda for years to cause disruption and criticise the club. Now your group are in power no-one is allowed to criticise the bod.

Nothing wrong with holding the board to account - if they do a good job we won’t have anything to complain about. AGM is a long time away and not open to the ordinary fan.

Not open to the ordinary fan ?you make out as if you have to be a millionaire to get in FFS.  I'm an ordinary fan and will be attending whenever it's held. 

Of course the bod need to be held accountable but you also need to give them time.  Rennie didn't work out unfortunately. He's away. People were quick to point out that it's hard to get decent players in January well the same could be said for managers mid season.  They now have a full close season to get the right manager in and allow him to sign the players that will give us a decent team back . They also have their hands full trying to sort out the mess left by the last lot.  They will be judged like any other board though on how we do on the park this season but let's at least give them a chance to get things right first before we start calling for their heads.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Lads, obviously a horror show of a season for you. The worst in living memory probably. For you, what was the single worst game/performance this season? 

We got pumped 6-0 off Queen’s Park.

So, yeah, that.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Lads, obviously a horror show of a season for you. The worst in living memory probably. For you, what was the single worst game/performance this season? 

Can't wait to watch if chopped up into a hilarious "lol Falkirk!" Twitter video!

It’s the Queens Park away game and it’s not even close. It’s not just the worst Falkirk performance I’ve ever seen but genuinely the worst performance I’ve seen from a team at any level of football. The 6-0 score line actually flattering us in the end and had it been double figures would’ve been a lot more accurate of the gulf between the teams. It was a firm sign that the players had chucked it under Cones and it produced 4 or 5 of the worst individual performances that you’re ever likely to see.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

With the 6-0 disgrace aside. There is maybe 1 defeat we’ve had all season that we could walk out of saying we possibly deserved something from (1-0 loss to Queens at TFS) which is quite frankly disgusting, the rest we were absolutely diabolical in, including some of our wins.

8 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

For the record, at tea time on 31st January (well after the FSS vote) we had agreed terms with Goodwillie and he was set to sign.  We were paying Clyde £40k but they wanted £50k which we wouldn't pay.  Clyde called Raith to say they can have him if they pay £50k and the rest is history.  Extremely lucky on our part. 

Griffiths a strange one.  We clearly had the money for DGW agreed and so when we were let off the hook it suddenly would have felt like we could pay similar wages for a replacement.  Now I very much doubt Rennie randomly came up with Griffiths as a signing he wanted without a discussion that suggested we now had the DGW money ready to invest in someone on similar terms.  There was also a misguided belief that LG would excite the fans and bring hundreds of extra fans through the gates for the run in.   Nobody in that decision making process (board or Rennie) had clearly paid attention to the state of LG this season.  

Even Deans and Holt said DGW would never play for FFC for obvious reasons.

our new board tried to sign him.

As they say in the Dragon’s Den - for that reason I’m out!

Why the f**k are we still talking about this shit? It was bad enough in January when it looked like a possibility but now a few months later when we didn’t sign him and we never will sign him it’s fucking tiresome.

Get this Goodwillie shite right in the fucking bin.
Absolutely no reason to ever mention that piece of shits name in this thread ever again. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

Why the f**k are we still talking about this shit? It was bad enough in January when it looked like a possibility but now a few months later when we didn’t sign him and we never will sign him it’s fucking tiresome.

Get this Goodwillie shite right in the fucking bin.
Absolutely no reason to ever mention that piece of shits name in this thread ever again. Thanks.

Well said, I'm fed up reading about something that never actually happened i.e. the signing. Whether or not the BoD seriously considered offering him a contract is irrelevant because we never signed him. Those continually harping on about Goodwillie signing that never was are either trolls or have an agenda of some sort.  

The good thing about having no connection to either board means you get to call things as you see them rather than having an “agenda” either way. So here’s how I see it (FWIW)

Old regime - board full of Falkirk fans with egos who went from one disaster to another and have left the club in a complete shambles. Hopeless manager after hopeless manager and a team full of heartless imposters.

New regime - board full of Falkirk fans with egos. Hopeless manager and, despite 7 signings, we still have a team full of heartless imposters. In their short spell in charge they have also made poor decisions - DGW, Rennie and the shambolic handling of the managerial appointment. Staff leaving in numbers is also a concern that hasn’t been explained yet but I’m sure it will be and could be part of the bigger picture.

Personally, from the outside looking in, I’m disappointed by the start the new regime have made. However I do believe they will get it right and they do have a hell of a mess to tidy up behind the scenes. I’m definitely prepared to give them my backing but I will continue to callout the things I believe are wrong.

If the names I hear being considered for the managerial job are correct then I am optimistic we will make a good appointment and hopefully that is the start of our comeback.

Let’s hope it works out for all our sakes as this could be our last chance.