The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, kiddy said:
26 minutes ago, LowerLeagueFC said:
charlie telfer wouldnt get a game at cowdenbeath. thinks he is way better than he is

Oh I think he'd get a game. Just he'd have precious little influence over it. I'd agree in an over inflated opinion on himself.

Where are you getting the 'over inflated opinion' bit? Have you spoken to him face to face? I think he comes over as quite a humble laddie any time he speaks.

14 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Didn’t know that but then why did we get rid of Hartley when he was left with a bunch of diddies? 

He (Hartley) recommended Richard “Mitch” Mitchell as our down south scout but the idea of signing players from down south came from Mr Campbell.

Bar that one summer Hartley hasn’t done anything like it before or since 2018 and it was right to part ways imo as Mitch wasn’t up to much and Hartley didn’t exactly get his Scottish based signings right either (Mackin, Fasan, Froxylious, Haber etc)

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The bfl handed over money to be used in the transfer window to sign a player. The manager signed the wrong player. Said manager is now moving on.  The money was wasted in this case but by the manager if you ask me not the bod. If the money hadn't been used I'm sure someone would've got it tight for that.  I said myself I think the cash would've been better spent on a centreback or midfielder but it's the manager who decides what he does with his budget at the end of the day. The goodwillie case is different. As I said who knows the full extent of that. I'm sure the guys on the bod will have learned from that one.

I asked at the time if it was the B4L money and was given some lovely response about it being a combination of B4L, Patrons and FSS as we are all in this together.

Now that is been proven to be a disaster the fingers are being pointed elsewhere 🤔

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So less than 30k . We'd need what 15 players minimum at least. A mixture of your 3 under 18s and some experience. I presume they are all expected to play for nothing?  First team squad will be tight this season so can't see many of them being involved.  Coaches I presume would want expenses at least but wouldnt have salaries.  All seems quite cheap if we can get a proper b team together for that kind of money.  Plus the it's a recurring cost not just a one off like Griffiths and that money was given to the club on the condition it would be spent on signing a first team player.

A B Team combining a mixture of first team players who need game time/recovering from injury, limited number of promising young players on pro contracts who are on the verge of first team squad (it'll be league 1 after all!), promising young players on amateur contracts/looking to earn contracts, trialists and U18s promoted on a game by game basis. Coaches could be senior first team players doing their badges (common practice at other clubs). I believe the old FV Academy used to part fund young players wages through apprenticeship schemes. Add in sponsors and if need be fundraising - where there's a will...............

4 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

For the record, at tea time on 31st January (well after the FSS vote) we had agreed terms with Goodwillie and he was set to sign.  We were paying Clyde £40k but they wanted £50k which we wouldn't pay.  Clyde called Raith to say they can have him if they pay £50k and the rest is history.  Extremely lucky on our part. 

Griffiths a strange one.  We clearly had the money for DGW agreed and so when we were let off the hook it suddenly would have felt like we could pay similar wages for a replacement.  Now I very much doubt Rennie randomly came up with Griffiths as a signing he wanted without a discussion that suggested we now had the DGW money ready to invest in someone on similar terms.  There was also a misguided belief that LG would excite the fans and bring hundreds of extra fans through the gates for the run in.   Nobody in that decision making process (board or Rennie) had clearly paid attention to the state of LG this season.  

So who told you the DGW story? 

Guest Ecosse83
4 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

For the record, at tea time on 31st January (well after the FSS vote) we had agreed terms with Goodwillie and he was set to sign.  We were paying Clyde £40k but they wanted £50k which we wouldn't pay.  Clyde called Raith to say they can have him if they pay £50k and the rest is history.  Extremely lucky on our part. 

Griffiths a strange one.  We clearly had the money for DGW agreed and so when we were let off the hook it suddenly would have felt like we could pay similar wages for a replacement.  Now I very much doubt Rennie randomly came up with Griffiths as a signing he wanted without a discussion that suggested we now had the DGW money ready to invest in someone on similar terms.  There was also a misguided belief that LG would excite the fans and bring hundreds of extra fans through the gates for the run in.   Nobody in that decision making process (board or Rennie) had clearly paid attention to the state of LG this season.  

That’s 100% spot on, straight from the horses mouth as they say! 

2 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

I asked at the time if it was the B4L money and was given some lovely response about it being a combination of B4L, Patrons and FSS as we are all in this together.

Now that is been proven to be a disaster the fingers are being pointed elsewhere 🤔

How are fingers being pointed. It's not the fault of either of those 3 groups its the fault of the bloody manager.

57 minutes ago, Nearly Sane said:

A B Team combining a mixture of first team players who need game time/recovering from injury, limited number of promising young players on pro contracts who are on the verge of first team squad (it'll be league 1 after all!), promising young players on amateur contracts/looking to earn contracts, trialists and U18s promoted on a game by game basis. Coaches could be senior first team players doing their badges (common practice at other clubs). I believe the old FV Academy used to part fund young players wages through apprenticeship schemes. Add in sponsors and if need be fundraising - where there's a will...............

Talk of us having a first team squad of 18 so can't see many being available for a b team.

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I get that managers are responsible for signing players (as they should be) but surely the bod would’ve had to approve the wage he was offered.

£1500 a week (at minimum) will be well above what we’ve offered players probably since we were in the premier league. I remember Peter Houston saying he couldn’t offer signings £1000 a week.

So the decision to pay that wage to Griffiths will have been a board one.

On the back of the manager saying that's how he wants to spend the money. If Rennie had said I'd rather spend it on two players the bod aren't going to say no.

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Where are you getting the 'over inflated opinion' bit? Have you spoken to him face to face? I think he comes over as quite a humble laddie any time he speaks.

Possibly part of his problem to be honest. Bags of ability but doesn't have that confidence and swagger players of his ilk really need unfortunately.

3 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

He (Hartley) recommended Richard “Mitch” Mitchell as our down south scout but the idea of signing players from down south came from Mr Campbell.

Bar that one summer Hartley hasn’t done anything like it before or since 2018 and it was right to part ways imo as Mitch wasn’t up to much and Hartley didn’t exactly get his Scottish based signings right either (Mackin, Fasan, Froxylious, Haber etc)

The only thing I know about Mitch was that Margaret Lang said at a supporters meeting that Ross county had recommended him. The same Ross county that wouldve been  one of our main challengers that season if we'd been any good.

6 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Trying to sign Goodwillie and spending a fortune on Leigh Griffiths. 

They appointed the manager and give him a budget. Those two issues IMO are the managers responsibility - not the Board 

Guest Ecosse83
6 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Who? 

Goodwillie himself. I don’t know him but I know someone who does. 

He wanted to come to us over Raith, thank f**k that didn’t happen! 

1 hour ago, Nearly Sane said:

I mentioned before that a B squad of the best/most promising 16-19 year old would be the ideal situation instead of 2 poor squads of U16s and U18s who are full of players making up the numbers.

Put them in a COMPETITVE U20 league such as the EOS and then see how they go. Playing a season of friendlies against other senior academies doesn't develop players at all.

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Not convinced that is true other than he wanted to come to Falkirk, as he has done for a couple of years 

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not convinced that is true other than he wanted to come to Falkirk, as he has done for a couple of years 

Don’t worry I’m not going to try and convince you one way or the other, I know the truth that’s enough for me! 

8 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Ah Mr Goodwillie definitely never lied in the past.