The Falkirk FC Thread

28 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Wait, he was performing extremely well for the team topping that division before we recalled him 🤔

No denying that Arbroath have something special going on this season and he did well in his spell there but I think he’ll struggle full-time at Thistle.

Time will tell!

Didn’t expect Dowds to stay, wasn’t treated right by Holt, wish him a decent career in the future. He may still develop but was cumbersome to say the least, reminded me of the fermers that came to play us from Tarff Rovers in 1970’s

Even when dowds came back he still had a number of honking games.  He was limited but certainly better than Wilson or ompreon that's for sure.  Will be interesting to see how he does at thistle but he's certainly no Zak rudden.

When it was decided to introduce some sort of youth program it was supposed to be a cut down version to start with which would hopefully be expanded at some point in the future.  Why then did Fergus suddenly start expanding the whole set up before we were in a position to actually afford it properly.  We have a setup at the same level as Raith and they have had a good degree of success bringing in players. To start under 11s etc you need to go back up to the same level of academy we had previously and there is no way we can afford that in our current state.  Bringing in u11s was a crazy idea and thankfully the new bod put the kybosh on it quickly. They are all guys who know the value of having a good youth academy but also realise that the club just can't afford it just now.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Don’t get your logic. You’re advocating binning the current squad in another post and here suggesting driving out the old and replacing them with the new is a bad “attitude”. Let’s face it, the club is in decline and doing what we’ve been doing hadn’t worked, so change is essential. 

When the club announced it was binning our academy I was one of the first on here to highlight that I thought it was one of the biggest risks the club would take and so it proved.
I’m rarely for major overhauls as I think a period of stability is what we are crying out for.
However we set ourselves back 10 years when we closed the academy and became a poor journeyman’s club.
I can’t advocate a period of stability just now as I simply don’t think we have managed to sign a single player to start to build the club around. So yes, you are correct, at the moment I think we need an overhaul to bring in at least one or two players to build the club around. Hopefully then we can establish stability, but I don’t see us as promotion material for a few more seasons until some decent talent comes through the academy or we miraculously sign someone with some heart….

16 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's open again as a chip shop. Which it was before. I'll give it a try soon, but I've been going to Milanos.

This information may, or may not, be important.

Is there guy that works down there swears he's Elvis?

On 19/04/2022 at 15:00, Bairn in Exile said:

Not acceptable, as you yourself agreed in a previous post. We are not a fucking hobby for Miller, he gives us 100% of his time and attention or he can fcuk off. I am sure that there are plenty of other potential managers out there who would gladly give us 100%.

To paraphrase the late, great Barry White, Falkirk are My First, My last, My Everything, I would expect that while a manager is working for Falkirk that that is his position too.

Never keen on quoting one of my own posts but this is to put this post into context.

Even although we haven't heard it much lately, I'm sick to death of Amarillo being the song that is played when we score a goal. What about You're The First, My Last, My Everything by Barry White instead?

"The first, my last, my everything
And the answer to all my dreams
You're my sun, my moon, my guiding star
My kind of wonderful, that's what you are
I know there's only, only one like you
There's no way, they could have made two
You're all I'm living for
Your love I'll keep for evermore
You're the first, you're the last, my everything"

Start at the 0.50 mark on the video below.

Just a thought,

Guest Brockvillenomore
7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

When the club announced it was binning our academy I was one of the first on here to highlight that I thought it was one of the biggest risks the club would take and so it proved.
I’m rarely for major overhauls as I think a period of stability is what we are crying out for.
However we set ourselves back 10 years when we closed the academy and became a poor journeyman’s club.
I can’t advocate a period of stability just now as I simply don’t think we have managed to sign a single player to start to build the club around. So yes, you are correct, at the moment I think we need an overhaul to bring in at least one or two players to build the club around. Hopefully then we can establish stability, but I don’t see us as promotion material for a few more seasons until some decent talent comes through the academy or we miraculously sign someone with some heart….

Agree with you on the academy and the current squad. Stability is only a worthwhile objective or plan when you’re in a good place. The club aren’t in a good place. From top to bottom we’re under performing. So change is essential. 

On stability though, this discussion started when a brand new poster with some sort of inside track, twisted what happened to a bunch of kids  for their own self interest. Irrespective of whether it was IF or somebody still at the club, this sort of behaviour isn’t great and explains the culture.  When people complain about change, or resign from their jobs,  it’s always because it impacts on them negatively and the status quo is at risk.  

Holt stood up at that Q&A and quoted 65 in 65 out blah blah blah. He then proceeds to sign a squad of shite on 2/3 years deals. All for the sake of stability. Oh and people let him away with it. 

So finally our last home game to end another disastrous season. Expecting a very sparse crowd & Dowds early announcement suggests we won’t see him again.
Had my fill & gave up attending weeks ago, and good luck for those choosing to watch.
Only glimmer of hope is that we can still attract a decent manager, the BOD work some magic in releasing the shite/imposters, and we can get a decent spine of a team in. Not too much to ask for…….

53 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So finally our last home game to end another disastrous season. Expecting a very sparse crowd & Dowds early announcement suggests we won’t see him again.
Had my fill & gave up attending weeks ago, and good luck for those choosing to watch.
Only glimmer of hope is that we can still attract a decent manager, the BOD work some magic in releasing the shite/imposters, and we can get a decent spine of a team in. Not too much to ask for…….

Having not put out an advert the managers job the only conclusion is they already have an agreement with the individual.

The reason for no announcement is that they are on contract till the end of the season.

Narrows it down excluding Wright, Ross, Miller.

13 hours ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Seriously. Who are ya? 🫣

You always have to wonder about new posters joining the party with their ‘inside’ (cough) information and a blatant agenda, almost certainly with the truth being a victim of a smash and grab  

Mr Fergus stood up at the AGM and said he didn’t have approval and was seeking it over the coming weeks and months. So much so a certain shareholder volunteered his services to convince the board that the funds would be made available.

Daft thing to say but typical of the man. I know all this because I checked my notes just now to be 100% sure. It was such a bizarre exchange it stuck in my memory.

Stubborn things facts.  

Mr Fergus clearly said he didn’t have approval, yet a week or so later he made the signings. 

On the subject of “mass resignations” this is very interesting. The BoD have made it clear improvements need to be made in how the back office operates and revenues increased. 

The club has been on the decline for ten years, the last 4 or 5 has seen a rapid acceleration of this decline. Losing people, through their choice, who have been within the club during this period is surely a good thing, not anything to be worried about.

Nice as these folk are and how hard they’ve worked for the club I for one feel fresh ideas, contemporary skills and energy is needed. Not the same old same old reheated and rehashed. 

And you always have to worry about posters who dismiss others version of the "truth" to prop up their own.

I'm not advocating on behalf of previous employees or suggesting an academy be financed (but we could easily establish an U20 at minimal cost to add to the U16 & U18 teams) . My point was that the management of the club was a mess pre new Board and is still a mess under the new Board. The current Boards line of "the big bad boy did it and ran away" is factually incorrect and they are as much to blame as anyone related to the treatment of young players at our club.

Worried it'll be Rice but at the same time, not sure how much better we can expect to get.

As for Dowds, wish him well enough, Holt/Deans threw him under the bus a bit but it's not like we could name more than 3 or 4 really good performances. As with everyone who leaves, the issue is more trying to find better replacements.

Still think if we'd been able to keep Keena, Morrison and him fit in the M&M season then we'd have went up. it was clear that the plan was for Dowds to play off Keena and have Morrison as our main creative force and as it was Dowds just never really looked like scoring. 

30 minutes ago, Nearly Sane said:

And you always have to worry about posters who dismiss others version of the "truth" to prop up their own.

I'm not advocating on behalf of previous employees or suggesting an academy be financed (but we could easily establish an U20 at minimal cost to add to the U16 & U18 teams) . My point was that the management of the club was a mess pre new Board and is still a mess under the new Board. The current Boards line of "the big bad boy did it and ran away" is factually incorrect and they are as much to blame as anyone related to the treatment of young players at our club.

As far as I know there are  plans to have a b team which would play in one of the lowland leagues .

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As far as I know there are  plans to have a b team which would play in one of the lowland leagues .

That's... actually a reasonable idea (unless you have to pay £40k like the LL), presumably the East of Scotland conference leagues?

Edited by ilostmyself