The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83

Progression is key but quite frankly I want to see us put in some type of challenge. Get the right manager in who will sign the right players then we will challenge, that’s the beauty of bigger budgets! 

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

While I don’t want McGlynn, if it turns out to be him, he will get my backing. Same for Murray or whoever else may get the gig.

BoD need to be clear what next season is all about. It’s easier to say “we are going for the title”, and while 10 clubs could say the same, is that really a realistic aim?
Is it qualify for the play offs while beginning to undo the damage  behind the scenes, and it’s likely to 24 months before we might be truly “in the mix” for the title?

Whatever it is, managing expectations is going to be a huge part of it. Last Friday in BTW showed the following and passion that very few clubs in Scotland can conjur up from almost nowhere. Don’t know how we harness that for what might be a really tough couple of years, but I hope it happens.

It’s critical whatever the BOD plans are conveyed with honesty and transparency. This is probably our last chance of being a FT model(ish) & gaining promotion.

Like a few earlier posts it’s time to look at someone that knows how to win this league. If it’s true what some PT fans are saying about McCall being unhappy we should get dialogue opened up without fail. Yes he can knock us back again, but it’s only a question.

Honestly don’t know about Murray, he’s had a few seasons to build a really decent team. McGlynn fits the bill, but guys like Wright could also fit.

We’re told that this season ahead is critical in getting promotion.

Whichever scenario you consider, it’s money that will determine where we are next summer.

That will require everyone who has bought STs & PATG fans to renew, after one of the most shitefest/abhorrent/disappointing seasons we’ve endured for a very long time………

39 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

BoD need to be clear what next season is all about. It’s easier to say “we are going for the title”, and while 10 clubs could say the same, is that really a realistic aim?
Is it qualify for the play offs while beginning to undo the damage  behind the scenes, and it’s likely to 24 months before we might be truly “in the mix” for the title

It’s going for the title, if they say anything other than that there is no point playing.

This is a competitive sport in a league where a bit of unity, leadership and teamwork makes you an automatic contender, which we haven’t had despite the £’s, that’s why a team of Montrose size makes us look like amateurs.

Hopefully we get the person in that unites players and fans making the toxic element a minority from those with a genuine supporter issue or opinion.

Are people suggesting trying to win the league is a step too far? We are in the 3rd fucking division. Surely it’s not too much to ask that we may be good enough to finish above giants of the game such as Alloa, Montrose and Kelty fucking Hearts.

Get any bullshit excuses about undoing previous damage etc in the bin. Show some ambition with the managerial appointment, overhaul the squad and go win this god awful division. 

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Early warnings from the BOD about what we can probably expect for the new season budget.
If (and it’s a huge if) we can sustain STs numbers and somehow release/punt/bin many of the charlatans without to much cost, I wouldn’t expect to much reduction in budget, but the reality will probably be a reduced budget. Can anyone confirm if Totts is now back in some capacity?

Can you please expand on your point of early warning from the BOD?

As folk feel the pinch of rising living costs, it's inevitable that some won't be able to stretch to a season ticket next year and no one can argue about that. 

The last few years will also have lost us a fair chunk of fair weather fans who found better things to do with their Saturdays during lockdown and beyond.  We won't get a lot of them back.  

For the rest of us, it's important that we buy ST's this year.  To get out of this league we have to have a competitive budget.  We have a new board now so those holding off over the last few years (which I suspect wasn't that many) need to return.  Rennie is gone too so it really does need to be a clean slate.  There's no one left to empty (apart from the players) and the club needs fans ST money more than ever this close season.  Its the only advantage we have over many of the other teams in the league and if we end up with 1000-1500 ST sales we could be down here for a long time. 

I still think too many people are ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a signed full time squad of 14 players for next season. Only McCann is seen as being good enough. The rest are not seen as good enough to play for the (currently) 5th best side in L1. That ensures no “bigger budget” for the season ahead.

I would guess that is something like 50% of the budget spent on players that will form no part of next season’s team. Talk about “squad overhaul” is easy to say, but without unloading a dozen of those players, it cannot happen in any meaningful way. The majority will sit tight, and take the money. A few might ask to be released from their contracts….but unless there is a decent offer elsewhere, why would they?
Why would Brad McKay give up two years of a salary he hasn’t the slightest hope of getting anywhere else? He will happily attend training/not attend training. He will happily sit on the bench or sit in the stand or sit in a coffee shop at Dobbie’s.

People can think we are this, and we are that, and we can do this and we can do that, but we can’t. There are no reserves of cash, and when half the budget is already gone on players that won’t kick a ball, I just don’t get this “new manager, squad overhaul” and we are fixed. I don’t get where that thinking comes from given the financial reality of FFC in 2022.

There’s a very loyal fan based completely fcked off with watching a set of thieves steal wage upon wage. The fans have demonstrated over the years that they will support the club in numbers. Unfortunately it looks like Covid and a wasteful set of imposters over the past three seasons has finally been enough for many.

The support that attended our last two games was pitiful, hundreds upon hundreds simply had enough, and decided on an alternative Saturday.

I genuinely think if they can get the right manager, somehow get the dross away, and a decent spine brought in, the fans will back the club. As posted the financial costs for many will be very difficult and unfortunately we will undoubtedly loose some fans.

Three STs from west of Glasgow will be renewing.

The “dross” who no longer have contracts is do-able of course, but the other 14…….it’s an absolute killer. Nor can the club afford to have a 25 or 26 players in the first team squad all over again. I would imagine 20 might be the upper limit.

Just now, Duncan Freemason said:

The “dross” who no longer have contracts is do-able of course, but the other 14…….it’s an absolute killer. Nor can the club afford to have a 25 or 26 players in the first team squad all over again. I would imagine 20 might be the upper limit.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I have us with 11 signed players for next season. Of which McCann, Watson (when fit) and Morrison would all be considered good enough for next season squad. Williamson has also shown at Thistle that he is better than what we’ve seen. The likes of McGuffie can then sit on the bench.

Already I have reduced your 14 needing moved on to 6. It is absolutely manageable. No excuses. 

14 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I still think too many people are ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a signed full time squad of 14 players for next season. Only McCann is seen as being good enough. The rest are not seen as good enough to play for the (currently) 5th best side in L1. That ensures no “bigger budget” for the season ahead.

I would guess that is something like 50% of the budget spent on players that will form no part of next season’s team. Talk about “squad overhaul” is easy to say, but without unloading a dozen of those players, it cannot happen in any meaningful way. The majority will sit tight, and take the money. A few might ask to be released from their contracts….but unless there is a decent offer elsewhere, why would they?
Why would Brad McKay give up two years of a salary he hasn’t the slightest hope of getting anywhere else? He will happily attend training/not attend training. He will happily sit on the bench or sit in the stand or sit in a coffee shop at Dobbie’s.

People can think we are this, and we are that, and we can do this and we can do that, but we can’t. There are no reserves of cash, and when half the budget is already gone on players that won’t kick a ball, I just don’t get this “new manager, squad overhaul” and we are fixed. I don’t get where that thinking comes from given the financial reality of FFC in 2022.

Who are the 14?  Not having a go but the number seems to go up every few pages.  

McKay is the extreme example - the only one with a 3 year deal and I agree the most difficult to move on.  The worst of the 2 year culprits (Wilson, Ross, Martin, Holt etc) can be told they won't kick a ball and that if they want to salvage a career in football they can go now. Some, if not all, will hopefully take that.  The wages may be ok but if they stay and play 0 games, their career will be over so they may see going now as a chance to take control of their career either in or outside football.  

Morrison, McCann, Watson and Mutch (as back up) can still play a part of the starting XI.  Arguably Nesbitt, Armstrong, Malcolm (and possibly Hetherington if he can keep up his form in last 2 or 3 games) can play a part as back up.  So that's 7-8 who with the right players around them and a proper coach/system don't need replaced.  

Convince some of the others to go, sign a decent spine and add some quality round that lot and we have a decent chance of success.  

22 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The BOD must try and get new investment. If a good portion of the Dross remains, my guess is we are truly F………..D

Holt 

Williamson 

sneddon

mccann

williamson

lemon

weekes

mcguffie

nesbitt

watson

morrison

mckay

ross

I make it 13. Whatever the list it is a complete rebuild

add Hetherington and Wilson 

Edited by Back Post Misses

33 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I have us with 11 signed players for next season.

Leaving aside the likes of Lemon etc, as I am not sure of their contractual length, then Mutch, Martin, Williamson, McCann, McKay, Watson, Morrison, Hetherington, Nesbitt, McGuffie, Ross, Wilson, Malcolm. 13. Given that we are in no financial position to terminate all, or even the majority of the contracts, then under the correct management a squad containing Williamson, McCann, Watson, Morrison, McGuffie for example need not be the complete disaster it has been this season. Hetherington was a perfectbly serviceable Championship player with part-time Alloa. Is it completely beyond a competent manager to restore Nesbitt to something like the form he showed in the early part of the season? Of those of out of contract or loan expired, no decision to be made and goodbye to ATS, Miller, Dixon, Jacobs, Kabia, Griffiths. I'd perhaps offer terms to Dowds (likely to have offers elsewhere) and Telfer. McKay, Ross, Wilson have surely got no future here and the goalkeeping situation needs attention. But, again, under an actual football manager the squad situation need not be the absolute write-off it has been this season.

That's why the managerial appointment is so crucial. 

Edited by AGPar

Every season that Falkirk FC are in the third tier of Scottish football, the primary expectation should be that we should win the league. Failing this primary expectation, the secondary expectation should be promotion through the play-offs. Anything falling outside of these two scenarios should be considered a failure. These should not be controversial statements.

Edited by 18BAIRN76