The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I too liked both Hetherington & Miller's interviews which obviously makes a change from listening to Rennie trying to out a positive spin on a shite result. Wouldn't mind Murray given it would stop Airdrie having our number for yet another season but I can't understand why he would want to entertain coming to us when he can still take Airdrie up through the play offs. 

Perhaps it may well be Murray but I'm pretty sure it will be after the play offs.

Guest Ecosse83

What slightly annoys me with the interviews is the constant question about getting the first goal, it’s almost as if they think they can’t win a game of football if the other team scores first. 

Yes obviously it’s nice to score first but there is no need to ask the question every bloomin week! 

I'm really not getting the love-in for Ian Murray on here. Has anybody had a look at his wiki page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murray_(footballer)

He's done feck all.

My big fear is that if he is appointed we get the usual spiel of "we have to give him time", "this is a long term appointment", we need to get some stability at the club".

No, we need to get somebody in who has won something or achieved a promotion, not somebody who has won nowt. Or else we'll be a part-time club celebrating our 150th anniversary in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. Cue the fireworks display.

Sparkler GIF - Sparkler GIFs

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

2nd place is nowhere if you don't get promoted. I reiterate, to date he has won feck all.

No. 5th place is nowhere, it's why you junked another 2 managers in the space of a season.  Three games to go and you are playing to remain 5th whilst Airdrie still have a chance of winning the league.

If Falkirk were in the position next season as Airdrie are now then surely that would be seen as progress?  If the last few years have thought you anything it is that Falkirk have no given right to win this league, or even get into the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

No. 5th place is nowhere, it's why you junked another 2 managers in the space of a season.  Three games to go and you are playing to remain 5th whilst Airdrie still have a chance of winning the league.

If Falkirk were in the position next season as Airdrie are now then surely that would be seen as progress?  If the last few years have thought you anything it is that Falkirk have no given right to win this league, or even get into the playoffs.

2 games to go, Airdrie are 5 points behind. Mathematically possible but unlikely.

What is so difficult to understand? We could finish in 2nd place in the league for the next 10 seasons but if we don't get promoted then we have achieved nothing. There is little difference between 2nd and 5th if ultimately you don't get promoted.

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

2 games to go, Airdrie are 5 points behind. Mathematically possible but unlikely.

What is so difficult to understand? We could finish in 2nd place in the league for the next 10 seasons but if we don't get promoted then we have achieved nothing. There is little difference between 2nd and 5th if ultimately you don't get promoted.

For Falkirk the difference would probably have meant that the manager kept his job for next season..

If you take your position to its logical conclusion then only the winner of the top division actually achieve something.  I guess it depends on what ambition s you have for your club.  However, ambition is no cloak for reality.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

For Falkirk the difference would probably have meant that the manager kept his job for next season..

If you take your position to its logical conclusion then only the winner of the top division actually achieve something.  I guess it depends on what ambition s you have for your club.  However, ambition is no cloak for reality.

Edited, sorry, I misread your post.

If you are in the top league and you finish 2nd then you are guaranteed a place in Europe, quite a prize. In our league 2nd place, unless it leads to promotion, is nothing.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Didn’t see the game yesterday but caught up with highlights. Maybe mistaken but EF with a bit of luck could have been two possibly three up early doors. 
Three decent strikes and pity we only get glimpses of very talented football player who clearly has so much, but decides for whatever reason not to perform on a consistent basis.

Huge task for the new manager awaits….

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I'm really not getting the love-in for Ian Murray on here. Has anybody had a look at his wiki page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murray_(footballer)

He's done feck all.

My big fear is that if he is appointed we get the usual spiel of "we have to give him time", "this is a long term appointment", we need to get some stability at the club".

No, we need to get somebody in who has won something or achieved a promotion, not somebody who has won nowt. Or else we'll be a part-time club celebrating our 150th anniversary in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. Cue the fireworks display.

Sparkler GIF - Sparkler GIFs

If it makes you feel any better, I have extreme doubts that he’ll be anywhere near the Falkirk job.

And we are more than happy to keep him, thank you very much! 😊

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

2nd place is nowhere if you don't get promoted. I reiterate, to date he has won feck all.

Surely it's all about expectation and the size of the budget that a manager has? If Airdrie finish second, and say, lose in the play-off final to Ayr United, should that be considered a failure? Not for me. It also doesn't mean that he is incapable of winning promotion with another team. Conversely, whilst Allan Johnston got Dunfermline promoted from League One with a significant budgetary advantage in 2916, that does not mean he would be guaranteed to do it with us, or that his achievement is any greater than Murray's. Given the likely financial constraints for next season, I'd see Murray as far more suitable.

I think Murray is getting a hell of a lot from a squad put together on a fraction of our budget, his recruitment has been good and he knows the league. He'd be right at the top of my list of realistic appointments and I'd be delighted if we managed to get him (I highly doubt we will)

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Highlights only left me with a "where were they goals when it mattered" vibe

Aye. Points to poor mentality in the squad. Play when the pressure is off. No surprise to me if they win the last two now. 

15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Aye. Points to poor mentality in the squad. Play when the pressure is off. No surprise to me if they win the last two now. 

It really does doesn’t it! Which probably makes sense, but with more than one manager failing to get enough from these guys it’s clear we need to make 3 ‘stand out’ singings of leaders in each area of the park regardless of which of the poor options we end up having to keep from this squad. Get that right, more leadership on the park and we might have an improvement next term. Sign more peahearts and we’ll go down. 

The new manager does not have the option due to finances to get rid of all the contracted players that got us into this mess. Maybe move 3-5 out the door but the majority will figure in next seasons squad. Managers challenge will be to build a side with the few signings of the quality required  to get the best out of their positives and limit their shortcomings. 

Goalkeeper that inspire confidence

Center Half that commands the defense and keeps the back line solid.  ie Darren Dodds type player nothing spectacular but consistent 

Midfield player with a bit of dig ie Liam Craig  it would transform the talented but lightwight Telfer if he stayed

Forward.  Not  fussed on the style just a goal scorer.

These are the 4 crucial positions that must be filled with the right sort of player next season depends on it and the new managers job.

I would go for quality before quantity