The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

A lot of the talk at the legends event last night was that the board haven't lined up a replacement yet as the preferred candidate is still involved in promotion play-offs.

That would suggest Murray or Petrie which I'd take over any of the other names mentioned. For me Petrie is the better manager but Murray has experience working the FT/PT hybrid model if we go down that route.

Nothing else wildly exciting to report, a new contract for Dowds is being given priority but with Rennie away will apparently be more difficult

Given the age of the pitch and our injury record over the last 18 months it may fail it's annual inspection which would give us a year to replace it, with hybrid grass (eg Murrayfield, Tynecastle) being favoured.

As much chance of us enticing Pep or Klopp with suggesting Petrie. He would've got a full time gig long before now if it was on his radar. He may try full time football if he gets an earlier retirement from his day job but zero chance of him going full time in the near future.

5 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If people want a manager to get out of this league, then AJ has done it better and in a shorter time frame than McGlynn……..and both times he won a full campaign.

When we were one point behind them, it’s pure revisionism to say we were pish, and them being one point ahead were much better. The one deciding factor for me would have been home advantage. In eight Championship meetings at TFS, Raith won 2. There was 1 draw, and Falkirk won 5.

McGlynn knew it too.

It's a different ball game now from when AJ Won league one, odds were highly favoured for him. The days of one or two horse races in this league are gone.

I said a while ago, I really don't envy the decision makers, the names suggested, even the ridiculous ones are not a safe bet. I'd normally have one or two names myself in mind but I don't, we need an appointment with a magic wand

Edited by MrDust

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

😂😂 what a lot of nonsense. You are entitled to think Falkirk may have eventually beat us to the title. The fact is, nobody will ever know. The teams were evenly matched, 1 point between us and 3 draws in our league games show that, it could have went either way.

However, to use our record at TFS in the Championship is completely irrelevant. Falkirk were a good Championship side for most of that period, they’re not anymore and weren’t when we shared a league in 2019/2020, it’s no more relevant than us turning up and winning at TFS this season after playing most of the game with 10 men, the clubs were at entirely different points than they were in 2019/2020.

FWIW, I wouldn’t renew McGlynn’s contract with us. 1 win in 16 league matches in a poor Championship is dreadful as good as the 2 and a half seasons previous to that were. However, any Falkirk fan turning their nose up at him when they are 5th in League One and closer to 9th than 4th needs their head checked, he would be a good appointment and certainly better than Brian fucking Rice.

Nonsense? That fact is nonsense? So you do not see home advantage as being an advantage at all? Wake up man ffs.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

6 hours ago, GeordieBairn said:

I’d be absolutely shocked if we get Dowds to commit to us with the way he was treated by the previous board/manager. Would love to see it though as he’s our best player.

I would be even more shocked if the treatment he got from the Deans Board, Sheerin and Holt were even a minor consideration in which club he decides to commit his future to. I think Dowds can differentiate the past from the present.

Is it just me that feels reasonably optimistic looking at the list of managers we could get? Tommy Wright with Liam Craig, John McGlynn or Ian Murray (dependant on how Airdries season finishes) are all very gettable. Then you add Jack Ross who is much more unrealistic but is out of work.

I see no reason why our next manager can’t come from that shortlist and they are all streets ahead of our last 4 or 5 appointments.

Lets get this right, empty the shit from our playing squad and get fucking going. 

5 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Is it just me that feels reasonably optimistic looking at the list of managers we could get? Tommy Wright with Liam Craig, John McGlynn or Ian Murray (dependant on how Airdries season finishes) are all very gettable. Then you add Jack Ross who is much more unrealistic but is out of work.

I see no reason why our next manager can’t come from that shortlist and they are all streets ahead of our last 4 or 5 appointments.

Lets get this right, empty the shit from our playing squad and get fucking going. 

Hard not to feel a touch optimistic when starting from such a low base. 

Christ, even a fairly average season would be just a mammoth improvement on the last 2. We might even go mad and beat a team in the top 5. 

22 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I would be even more shocked if the treatment he got from the Deans Board, Sheerin and Holt were even a minor consideration in which club he decides to commit his future to. I think Dowds can differentiate the past from the present.

Wasn’t treated particularly well by the fans either. Only brought back with wide open arms to the club because of how well he done at Arbroath under the tutelage of a real manager. Would highly doubt he’d have wanted back here in a hurry.

6 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

A lot of the talk at the legends event last night was that the board haven't lined up a replacement yet as the preferred candidate is still involved in promotion play-offs.

That would suggest Murray or Petrie which I'd take over any of the other names mentioned. For me Petrie is the better manager but Murray has experience working the FT/PT hybrid model if we go down that route.

Be some heel turn when Hartley is announced.

8 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

It will all come down to player recruitment for me. Regardless of who the new manager is, we won’t be going anywhere if there’s a 6th successive season of poor signings.

The new manager will have significantly less resources available so will need to have good contacts.

39 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

It will all come down to player recruitment for me. Regardless of who the new manager is, we won’t be going anywhere if there’s a 6th successive season of poor signings.

The new manager will have significantly less resources available so will need to have good contacts.

Resources will depend on whether the fans back the new appointment and the players being brought in.  Hopefully whoever the new incumbent is he's one that gets the fans interested.

If the preferred candidate is still involved in the playoffs it won't be Petrie. It's all well and good having targeted Rennie's replacement if indeed it all points to Murray. Getting him to come to this basket case of a club is a different story. He had success at Dumbarton, then went to a bigger club in St.Mirren and it was a disaster if memory serves me correct. He's also had a few seasons at Airdrie to build a squad it didn't happen overnight. He won't get that sort of time with us he would have to get us up straight away. And with this squad of dugshite players and a reduced budget in which to do it, if I was him I'd have serious thoughts about giving us a bodyswerve. 

When reading the following words;

The process of recruiting a new manager has already begun and we hope to be able to announce an appointment as soon as possible."

It would tell me that a decision has been made (see our previous coaches going back a few years). However, a good thing here is our board has substantially changed - doesn’t mean though that they won’t consider Kenny Miller (there might be those in the club who still can’t believe he came to Falkirk, so give him the gig, which will upset many).

Incidentally, does anyone else feel the BBC  pic of KM is a reminder of Alvin Stardust (minus the hair and charisma)?

13 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

When reading the following words;

The process of recruiting a new manager has already begun and we hope to be able to announce an appointment as soon as possible."

It would tell me that a decision has been made (see our previous coaches going back a few years). However, a good thing here is our board has substantially changed - doesn’t mean though that they won’t consider Kenny Miller (there might be those in the club who still can’t believe he came to Falkirk, so give him the gig, which will upset many).

Incidentally, does anyone else feel the BBC  pic of KM is a reminder of Alvin Stardust (minus the hair and charisma)?

It's not going to be Kenny miller.