The Falkirk FC Thread

With Johnston though your going to have to punt him if he does get you promotion as his record in the champ is diabolical. Mcglynn has a decent record in league one and the championship.

We can’t be thinking about the Championship though. The sole focus has got to be getting out of League 1.

Whoever we appoint just has to get us out of this league. Their record or wondering if they’re good enough for the Championship is irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

We can’t be thinking about the Championship though. The sole focus has got to be getting out of League 1.

Whoever we appoint just has to get us out of this league. Their record or wondering if they’re good enough for the Championship is irrelevant.

Of course but if  you have two guys  that have both done well in league one then I'd err towards the one whose got the far better record at a higher level. Plus Johnston's coming off a disastrous couple of years at queen's whilst mcglynn has been a success far more recently. It's not going to be Johnston anyway.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

That’s not true though, is it? Raith were given the league. We’ll never know how it would have ended with a quarter still to go.
They’ve absolutely shat the bed this season. After all the GW saga as well which he supported? No thanks.

I’ve lost track of Falkirk’s boardroom movements so you may well want rid of everyone anyway, but if supporting signing David Goodwillie is a disqualifier for being involved with Falkirk you might want to clear out the entire boardroom, CEO and management/coaches who all agreed to bid for him in January.

Glad that the correct decision has been reached and that Rennie will now leave the club (no idea why he’s involved in picking his successor mind you)

The next appointment is huge. Do we have the finances to get a proper manager in and clear out the dross that’s been left behind?

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The one deciding factor for me would have been home advantage. In eight Championship meetings at TFS, Raith won 2. There was 1 draw, and Falkirk won 5.

McGlynn knew it too.

😂😂 what a lot of nonsense. You are entitled to think Falkirk may have eventually beat us to the title. The fact is, nobody will ever know. The teams were evenly matched, 1 point between us and 3 draws in our league games show that, it could have went either way.

However, to use our record at TFS in the Championship is completely irrelevant. Falkirk were a good Championship side for most of that period, they’re not anymore and weren’t when we shared a league in 2019/2020, it’s no more relevant than us turning up and winning at TFS this season after playing most of the game with 10 men, the clubs were at entirely different points than they were in 2019/2020.

FWIW, I wouldn’t renew McGlynn’s contract with us. 1 win in 16 league matches in a poor Championship is dreadful as good as the 2 and a half seasons previous to that were. However, any Falkirk fan turning their nose up at him when they are 5th in League One and closer to 9th than 4th needs their head checked, he would be a good appointment and certainly better than Brian fucking Rice.

Edited by R.R.FC

By all accounts the budget for next season will be slashed so we won’t have one of the biggest budgets in the league. We would be best therefore with someone who has experience of overachieving and getting the most from limited resources. 

We will be able to offer very little by way of wages so we also need someone who has contacts to attract players who will see us as a stepping stone.

Not that he would come, but did Petrie not just renew his contract with Montrose not so long ago? 

Aye I’m sure he just signed a new 3 year deal. Sure he’s also a bank manager as well.

Absolutely no chance whatsoever of him becoming our next manager.

By all accounts the budget for next season will be slashed so we won’t have one of the biggest budgets in the league. We would be best therefore with someone who has experience of overachieving and getting the most from limited resources. 
We will be able to offer very little by way of wages so we also need someone who has contacts to attract players who will see us as a stepping stone.

If this is accurate about the budget then just make the decision to shell out so much money on Leigh Griffiths and his fat arse even more of an abomination tbh.

21 minutes ago, Russ said:

If this is accurate about the budget then just make the decision to shell out so much money on Leigh Griffiths and his fat arse even more of an abomination tbh.

I don’t know for certain but I’m not convinced the Griffiths signing will have impacted our budget for next season. 
Theory 1 - The 32 grand that B4L had may have been spunked on him? 
Theory 2 - I’ve heard the owner of the Maniqui is paying his wage.

Not sure if anyone can confirm if either theory is correct 🤷🏼‍♂️
If not, and we are throwing money at his fat arse knowing we have a vastly reduced budget for next season then it seems another really poor decision but I’m not convinced that is the case. 

Edited by JulioBairn

33 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

What does “By all accounts” actually mean?

Is this from someone who definitively knows what the budget will be or is it merely speculation?

2 hours ago, Trump said:

Interesting you don’t want McGlynn, who’s won this league before with a similar sized club in a similar position, because it could be divisive. Want someone who the support get fully behind, and suggest Rice, albeit fans would want him to do well, has been a divisive choice on this thread in particular since his name was first mentioned.

I don’t care if they’re the biggest Dunfermline fan in the planet, if they’re the best candidate and can get us promoted, that’s all that matters for me.

No more experiments, a proven track record of winning something a nice to have and knowing the division an absolute must.

Dunno, just think people would have a little more time for Rice than they would for McGlynn.  Could just be me but I find him unlikeable.  Of course you don't have to be likeable to be a good manager etc etc but I hated the sight of Hartley in the Falkirk gear and I'd find it hard to warm to McGlynn either.  

Wright & Craig would be my first choice.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

With Johnston though your going to have to punt him if he does get you promotion as his record in the champ is diabolical. Mcglynn has a decent record in league one and the championship.

A bit unfair. He managed a 5th place, 4th and was 7th when he resigned at Dunfermline. True his second spell at QotS was poor. Both his league wins with QotS and the Pars were pretty impressive.

54 minutes ago, Russ said:

And Leigh Griffiths gets paid £2500 a week. Seriously. 

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Depends on the budget because that drives everything else.  With finances under pressure not only with the support but with company sponsorship adverts etc so working out what it will be is a thankless task. Get it wrong it could administration so the board may err on the side of  caution.

New management team, New signings to get the best out the contracted players because we might not be able to afford to offload them ain't going to be cheap.

Hopefully we get told the state of affairs soon and see progress. Because nothing for weeks then a flurry of signing the dross nobody else wants 3 weeks before kickoff ain't going to cut it.

36 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

As a footnote to the recent discussion: Raith were elected to be champions & promoted as a result. McGlynn won f**k all.

He won the challenge cup a few weeks ago, definitely the man to take us to the 5 time champs next season.