The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

McGlynn is probably what we need at this crossroads. With the recent boardroom changes not sure if he’s still as popular.
Car crash interview about GW then the immediate resultant loss of sponsors/RR ladies certainly hasn’t helped his reputation around the club.

Would like the club to sound out Ross (yes I know he’s still getting paid a kings ransom) with a view to a long term plan, can only say no.

Preference would be Wright and Liam Craig as player coach. He’s came unstuck at Killie but his SJ reign is very underestimated.

We pay a maximum of 80k for a manager when we are doing well. Having turned down 250k to lead queen's parks new project there is absolutely no way he's coming to us.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Someone on the alloa thread just posted Rice doesn’t have a contract beyond this season. Wonder if we should go cap in hand to him, although not sure it’s an option now given he knew he was second choice to Martin 😂 Rennie 😂

If the earlier posts are true (split BOD on Rennie & Rice) it would make sense to sound out Rice. We can’t afford to get this appointment wrong, for me I don’t fancy him as manager, but opening dialogue at this stage of recruiting would be correct.

25 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Didn’t want Rice in the summer, didn’t want Rice in December and still don’t want Rice now. Surely it has to be someone who had won this division before and knows exactly what it takes?

Chips?

33 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

The new squad cost rule comes into play in June 2022 so how could QP have paid a manager £250k per annum ?

I don't think queen's park will worry much about European football till they're out of league one to be honest.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Whoever it is dont piss about. Got somebody in mind make your move.

Wright / Craig would be good and if they could get Andrew Considine who's on his way out at Aberdeen as center back come coach all the better as that 2 of the spine of the team sorted Goalie and Center Forward and the support see positive signs things are moving in the right direction.

I agree that Wright/Craig is the standout option.  Not sure Wright would be out of out reach, he's not getting any younger and has been without a club for a while.  He might see turning us around as the catalyst towards one final bigger job before he retires.  

Not excited whatsoever by McGlynn.  He's done ok at Raith but, like Hartley, there's something about him and the way he operates I just don't like.  I think he'd be divisive and someone the fans would turn on quickly if he made a slow start.  The appointment needs to be someone who the support can fully get behind.  For me that's Wright or Rice.   

Interesting you don’t want McGlynn, who’s won this league before with a similar sized club in a similar position, because it could be divisive. Want someone who the support get fully behind, and suggest Rice, albeit fans would want him to do well, has been a divisive choice on this thread in particular since his name was first mentioned.

I don’t care if they’re the biggest Dunfermline fan in the planet, if they’re the best candidate and can get us promoted, that’s all that matters for me.

No more experiments, a proven track record of winning something a nice to have and knowing the division an absolute must.

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Raith won the league and would 100% have won it without the pandemic too. We were pish.

If we can get McGlynn, I said it in December too, we should go for him. 

That’s not true though, is it? Raith were given the league. We’ll never know how it would have ended with a quarter still to go.

They’ve absolutely shat the bed this season. After all the GW saga as well which he supported? No thanks.

9 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

That’s not true though, is it? Raith were given the league. We’ll never know how it would have ended with a quarter still to go.

They’ve absolutely shat the bed this season. After all the GW saga as well which he supported? No thanks.

Raith won the league

A lot of the talk at the legends event last night was that the board haven't lined up a replacement yet as the preferred candidate is still involved in promotion play-offs.

That would suggest Murray or Petrie which I'd take over any of the other names mentioned. For me Petrie is the better manager but Murray has experience working the FT/PT hybrid model if we go down that route.

Nothing else wildly exciting to report, a new contract for Dowds is being given priority but with Rennie away will apparently be more difficult

Given the age of the pitch and our injury record over the last 18 months it may fail it's annual inspection which would give us a year to replace it, with hybrid grass (eg Murrayfield, Tynecastle) being favoured.

Even if the league ended in the way it did they shouldn't have been anywhere near us considering the difference in budgets the two sides had. His recruitment was head and shoulders better than ours whether it was youngsters like Gullan Armstrong and Henry or oldies like McLean and Baird.  He's won this league previously and had finished runners up in the championship previously and third last year. This year they are probably doing as well as their budget would expect them too in comparison to the other sides if you put aside the miracles being carried out by dick Campbell.  The whole goodwillie thing I'm sure he regrets as much as anyone at Raith but at the end of the day as manager of the club he needs to recommend the best players he can and then it's up to the board to decide morally whether it's the correct signing or not.A manager that has won this league and done well in the championship whose recruitment record has been excellent in recent years surely has to be one of our options if he becomes available.

10 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

A lot of the talk at the legends event last night was that the board haven't lined up a replacement yet as the preferred candidate is still involved in promotion play-offs.

That would suggest Murray or Petrie which I'd take over any of the other names mentioned. For me Petrie is the better manager but Murray has experience working the FT/PT hybrid model if we go down that route.

Nothing else wildly exciting to report, a new contract for Dowds is being given priority but with Rennie away will apparently be more difficult

Given the age of the pitch and our injury record over the last 18 months it may fail it's annual inspection which would give us a year to replace it, with hybrid grass (eg Murrayfield, Tynecastle) being favoured.

I’d be absolutely shocked if we get Dowds to commit to us with the way he was treated by the previous board/manager. Would love to see it though as he’s our best player.

If people want a manager to get out of this league, then AJ has done it better and in a shorter time frame than McGlynn……..and both times he won a full campaign.

When we were one point behind them, it’s pure revisionism to say we were pish, and them being one point ahead were much better. The one deciding factor for me would have been home advantage. In eight Championship meetings at TFS, Raith won 2. There was 1 draw, and Falkirk won 5.

McGlynn knew it too.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

10 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

A new contract for Dowds might be a priority. Getting him to sign it is a different story, he won't be short of potential suitors with all of them playing at a higher level than us. That said he's maybe saw Griffiths payslip n thought I  fancy a slice of that. 

11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If people want a manager to get out of this league, then AJ has done it better and in a shorter time frame than McGlynn……..and both times he won a full campaign.

When we were one point behind them, it’s pure revisionism to say we were pish, and them being one point ahead were much better. The one deciding factor for me would have been home advantage. In eight Championship meetings at TFS, Raith won 2. There was 1 draw, and Falkirk won 5.

McGlynn knew it too.

With Johnston though your going to have to punt him if he does get you promotion as his record in the champ is diabolical. Mcglynn has a decent record in league one and the championship.