The Falkirk FC Thread

42 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Gaz said:
I'm not particularly convinced of this.
We haven't sacked managers / got rid of players for unfair reasons. That would give us a reputation as an unreliable and untrustworthy employer.
We've sacked managers and got rid of players because they've been absolutely hoaching and deserved to get binned.
The only folk who should be put off applying to us because of that are managers who are worried they're going to be absolutely dreadful, and to be honest we don't want any of those applying anyway.

Yeah, I doubt many managers are so lacking in self confidence that they would hold back from applying from a job as they might get sacked. Especially given they are likely.to be between jobs at the moment, and highly likely to have been sacked before and will be again.

That’s it in a nutshell. It’s the nature of the beast. Any conversation between a fired manager and a prospective new manager will inevitably be a Mandy Rice-Davies conversation.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Sorry, completely disagree. There is no honour amongst thieves……that is why you often see a manager being fired, and his loyal right hand man takes the reins and doesn’t leave.

Any manager offered the Falkirk gig isn’t going to take counsel from Hartley or McKinnon or M&M. Why? Because a manager’s interaction above is with the Board. None of those guys will have anything to say about our current Board, because they didn’t work with them. If anything, it’s the opposite. Given MRs performance, many will see the FFC Board as being incredibly patient.

I think you are conjuring up relationships amongst a cabal of managers that do not exist.

Agree with this. Not saying these factors might not be the difference in decision making but if the package is correct then most players/managers won’t think twice.

Kevin O’Hara and Myles Hippolyte both went to Dunfermline after being condemned by the club. 

Yogi went there after his friend Peter Grant got the sack after only a few months. 

Those are just what spring to mind. It’s not just Dunfermline thing though, football is littered with similar instances. 

McKinnon I hate with a passion but his recruitment was decent and M&M got the benefit of that at the start.

The starting 11 previously posted v Ross County should have been nowhere near the bottom end/relegated.

We are now in a bigger hole since then now tho 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Agree with this. Not saying these factors might not be the difference in decision making but if the package is correct then most players/managers won’t think twice.

Kevin O’Hara and Myles Hippolyte both went to Dunfermline after being condemned by the club. 

Yogi went there after his friend Peter Grant got the sack after only a few months. 

Those are just what spring to mind. It’s not just Dunfermline thing though, football is littered with similar instances. 

We've had probably more players that have played with ourselves and Falkirk than any other team (from our side). I can think of many others, Westwater, Bullen, Nicholls, Moss, Jim Jefferies as manager, Higginbotham, Longridge...

7 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Sorry, completely disagree. There is no honour amongst thieves……that is why you often see a manager being fired, and his loyal right hand man takes the reins and doesn’t leave.

Any manager offered the Falkirk gig isn’t going to take counsel from Hartley or McKinnon or M&M. Why? Because a manager’s interaction above is with the Board. None of those guys will have anything to say about our current Board, because they didn’t work with them. If anything, it’s the opposite. Given MRs performance, many will see the FFC Board as being incredibly patient.

I think you are conjuring up relationships amongst a cabal of managers that do not exist.

We will find out with the signings we make in the next couple of months lets hope for the first time in 5 seasons we get it right and your right. With our past hire and fire track record not putting signings off

Remember we will be looking for players while at the same time trying to unload contracted players. Not exactly a plus point in contract negotiations. If anything it will mean a substantial early release clause for understandable financial security for those we sign.

What a self inflicted mess ! 

Guest Caractacus Potts
24 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We've had probably more players that have played with ourselves and Falkirk than any other team (from our side). I can think of many others, Westwater, Bullen, Nicholls, Moss, Jim Jefferies as manager, Higginbotham, Longridge...

There has been a lot. Hibs also come to mind as having many players played with us both. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Of course they are viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. The player and manager turnover with a good % of contracts ended early over 4 seasons leads to no other conclusion.

Ex players and managers talk to each other so if Falkirk come calling you are going to contact your mates for a lowdown. What will go well - Not ! 

Simply rubbish!!

36 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Craigen, Watson, Williamson, Todorov, endless list tbh

Guest Ecosse83
2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Of course they are viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. The player and manager turnover with a good % of contracts ended early over 4 seasons leads to no other conclusion.

Ex players and managers talk to each other so if Falkirk come calling you are going to contact your mates for a lowdown. What will go well - Not ! 

Or a decent manager will trust themselves to be better than what has went on before them! 

2 hours ago, sick boy said:

Craigen, Watson, Williamson, Todorov, endless list tbh

Den Biemen. Probably respected and loved equally by both clubs. Quality for DA, and transformational for us.

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

McKinnon I hate with a passion but his recruitment was decent and M&M got the benefit of that at the start.

The starting 11 previously posted v Ross County should have been nowhere near the bottom end/relegated.

Pardon me? 

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

It’s actually frightening that McKinnons League 1 recruitment is the best we’ve had in the 3 seasons we’ve been in the league.

7 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Ferguson, Totten, Miller, McCall, McWilliams, Coyle, Smith.

Ian Pishwater

Edited by Back Post Misses

16 minutes ago, Russ said:

Aye Robbie Leitch, David MacMillan, Gregor Buchanan and Denny Johnstone. Real halcyon days.

One window signing, Cammy Bell, Gregor Buchanan, Mark Durnan, Denny Johnstone, Lewis Toshney, David McMillan, Connor Sammon, Robbie Leitch and Lewis Moore.

Offt.

I think we can all agree that no amount of rose tinted glasses will ever be enough to see the Sheerin/Rennie season as “the good old days”.

I always thought the centennial season would never be challenged as my personal lifetime low……even Totten’s “the relegation that never was” didn’t feel as bad, but this season is a genuine challenger.

Edited by Duncan Freemason