The Falkirk FC Thread

I think Rennie has signed the right type of player and with a better manager they probably would have done better, with the exception of ATS. 

I’m really not sure about that at all. Jacobs and Griffiths are both finished and whilst there’s potentially a player there with Kabia he’s got no heart whatsoever. Spends far too much time rolling about the floor in every single game.

That leaves just 2 in Jevon Mills and Paul Watson that could go down as ‘good’ signings. Imo it was just another in a long line of shite transfer windows and poor recruitment.

Guest FFC1965
1 hour ago, Russ said:

Is this an attempt at justifying McKinnon spell? Trying to spin it that we were ‘a Lyndon Dykes dive away from staying up’ is ridiculous and gives him a lot more credit than he deserves. He had 32 league games to keep us up he then had 2 home games at the end of the season against Alloa and Morton where if he took just 1 point we stay up and lost both games. Just because we’ve been shite since we sacked him doesn’t mean he deserves any sort of credit whatsoever.

We were absolutely dreadful under him, he was a massive failure and should have been sacked long before he was. If he was binned that summer when he should’ve been and had we appointed an actual manager that summer when this league was there to be won we wouldn’t still be in this mess.

Not an attempt to defend McKinnon.  It was typed in a hurry and was simply

(a) a reminder of the rationale for his appointment https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2018/08/31/ray-mckinnon-named-bairns-boss/  That's relevant when discussion is ongoing about Rennie (appointed explicitly as "the turnaround guy") and 

(b) a reminder of how shite we are now.  Sorry to do that.  We thought the 2018/2019 team was very poor at the time - not sure who in todays team (save for Dixon who is obviously still here) would get into that team. 

Here's the starting XI from the team that beat Ross County on the final day of the season

Burgoyne, McGhee, Dixon, Edjenguele, McKenna, Robson, Osman, McShane, Jarvis, Rudden & MacLean

Light years ahead of the fakers we have now and unfortunately many are contracted to 31.05.23

I think we have all been completely blinded/numbed as to what it actually takes to get out of this league, which is more than understandable due to two consecutive seasons of making a complete arse of it and continously making absolutely shite managerial appointments. With our infrastructure and the resources we have, it should be relatively straightforward to get out of this league; I'm not even talking about what follows in the Championship, I mean simply getting promoted out of League One. I don't think it is arrogant to say that - we completely deserve to be where we are at the moment and it is entirely of our own making. But I don't think even fans of other teams, who have had a great time laughing at over the last few years, would disagree that a half-competent manager would have Falkirk challenging for this league. Forget all the talk about DoF's, structure and 'five year plans' - in the summer, appoint a relatively experienced manager who knows how to win at this level, and I guarantee we'll be talking in 12 months time and we won't be far away.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

I think we have all been completely blinded/numbed as to what it actually takes to get out of this league, which is more than understandable due to two consecutive seasons of making a complete arse of it and continously making absolutely shite managerial appointments. With our infrastructure and the resources we have, it should be relatively straightforward to get out of this league; I'm not even talking about what follows in the Championship, I mean simply getting promoted out of League One. I don't think it is arrogant to say that - we completely deserve to be where we are at the moment and it is entirely of our own making. But I don't think even fans of other teams, who have had a great time laughing at over the last few years, would disagree that a half-competent manager would have Falkirk challenging for this league. Forget all the talk about DoF's, structure and 'five year plans' - in the summer, appoint a relatively experienced manager who knows how to win at this level, and I guarantee we'll be talking in 12 months time and we won't be far away.
Aye it stands to reason that a complete failure to challenge ( first season, Raith promotion aside) when combined with a comparatively larger budget than almost everyone we have faced in said league, can only point to mismanagement of said budget.

1 hour ago, Uncle Fester said:

Am I right in saying that after Saturdays pumping that by comparison Sheerin got sacked for less than Rennie?,,,,,,, question is,,,,,,,,, has he gone yet? 

Yes, if you strip away the excuses for either party, Sheerin got 22 points from 16 games and was gone. MR got 18 points from 16 games, and is still in post. The profiles of both falling of a cliff are broadly similar too, with MRs FFC bottom of the form table…..bottom……and that’s with 7 players at his disposal that Sheerin didn’t have. Hope that sums it up for you.

15 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

Can accept it being the clubs idea but the execution of it, which Hartley absolutely was part of and bought into with his pal "Mitch", couldn't have been more shambolic.
Everyone gets a share of the blame for that debacle but to try and absolve Hartley is absolutely wild, why did he accept an entire team he'd never seen? Who scouted and signed Haber/Froxilias/Fasan/Mackin/Russell? Who agreed to punt the majority of an underperforming team who'd just finished 2nd?

Completely agree. I questioned the revisionisms with Hartley was getting all the blame, he most definitely has some if it.   

The execution was indeed horrible  

11 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Completely agree. I questioned the revisionisms with Hartley was getting all the blame, he most definitely has some if it.   

That strange summer of endless new signings was the last time that being a Bairn was fun.

Every few days we were welcoming a new ‘star’ accompanied by some excellent PR work by the club to build the excitement.

Then the football started and here we are.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

That strange summer of endless new signings was the last time that being a Bairn was fun.

Every few days we were welcoming a new ‘star’ accompanied by some excellent PR work by the club to build the excitement.

Then the football started and here we are.

Yep, ignorance is bliss.

Guest Ecosse83

Hopefully the lack of news coming from the club means Rennie won’t be here next season. You would think if he was staying it would be announced by now with the season being done. (Wishful thinking maybe 😂)

13 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

The non disclosure order the club wanted signed by Hartley means we will never know the truth of what happened.

Insisting on such a clause just indicates where most of the blame should be pinned. Must piss Harley off that he can't be up front with what he had to put up with.

23 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

No issue with raising money for charity. I donate to multiple ones every month without the need for a dinner.

I just feel that “celebrating” a defeat is very tinpot.

Could you not celebrate the 65th anniversary of winning your last major honour?

Might have a problem getting that team together!

I actually can't believe we're having to explain to Killie and St.Mirren fans what it's like to enjoy certain successes, even if it ultimately ends in failure. If we're only allowed to celebrate winning major honours then it will be a long time before we get to enjoy anything. 

That team and cup run remain long in the memory and having the night is about remembering a great time and hosting a reunion for the players to get together and making some money for charity in honour of Paul McGrillen and David Hagen.

Not sure why you even feel the need to comment to be honest. Maybe try doing something for your own legends to celebrate them properly and stop bothering about what other fans do for their own.

15 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

The club dont have an infrastructure

The club dont have resources

The club do have a reputation as an unreliable and untrustworthy employer the player and manager turnover saw to that.

You have fight and work to win any points in this league and then some more to win it.

Just cant see a manager or players of the quality required touching us and we will be the last resort. As the flurry of signings 3 weeks before kick off of next season will show.

I do not believe that FFC is viewed as untrustworthy or unreliable by either players or future managers. Managers who have been relieved of their duties left because of compelling reasons for doing so.

The players who have left might have some gripes, but all will have left with their contracts either honoured, or negotiated to a close. In recent times, yes, the BoD (because of some of their members) were seen as unreliable and untrustworthy,  but that tended to be evidence based by individuals or small groups.

I agree that now, the club have had the breathing space to evaluate what it is that they really need in terms of the structure of football management. The biggest concern for any potential manager who is outside looking in, is not the manner of previous manager’s method of removal…….their achievements during their time with us make it abundantly clear why they have gone. It’s the same for the players.

Any potential manager will look at FFC and understand full well what is required……get FFC back to the Championship. Any manager worth his or her salt would see that as absolutely achievable, and would back themselves to be able to do it.

The only hesitation for a manager wouldn’t be the players who have left, it would be the ones who are still here. The new BoD haven’t fired any manager…..and they won’t fire MR. if he goes, it will be at the end of his current contract.

Given our season is now effectively over it would be nice to get a bit of clarity from the board what the next steps are. I'd imagine they're obviously in discussions with Rennie at the moment but hopefully it's a case of 'thanks very much, see you later' he's not shown enough in the 6 months to merit a chance next season. 

Who comes in next is anybody's guess, advertise now so the candidates get a look at what they are going to be potentially working with next season and can then hopefully start working in the background on the squad until Rennie's contract is up.

Someone with experience in Scotland, a good set of contacts as we need a fair few favours and someone who won't take a lack of effort from the team he creates.

48 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Given our season is now effectively over it would be nice to get a bit of clarity from the board what the next steps are. I'd imagine they're obviously in discussions with Rennie at the moment but hopefully it's a case of 'thanks very much, see you later' he's not shown enough in the 6 months to merit a chance next season. 

Who comes in next is anybody's guess, advertise now so the candidates get a look at what they are going to be potentially working with next season and can then hopefully start working in the background on the squad until Rennie's contract is up.

Someone with experience in Scotland, a good set of contacts as we need a fair few favours and someone who won't take a lack of effort from the team he creates.

Mathematically we can still be caught, reckon that until we are safe, the BOD will not release their plans going forward…..🙄

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I do not believe that FFC is viewed as untrustworthy or unreliable by either players or future managers. Managers who have been relieved of their duties left because of compelling reasons for doing so.

The players who have left might have some gripes, but all will have left with their contracts either honoured, or negotiated to a close. In recent times, yes, the BoD (because of some of their members) were seen as unreliable and untrustworthy,  but that tended to be evidence based by individuals or small groups.

I agree that now, the club have had the breathing space to evaluate what it is that they really need in terms of the structure of football management. The biggest concern for any potential manager who is outside looking in, is not the manner of previous manager’s method of removal…….their achievements during their time with us make it abundantly clear why they have gone. It’s the same for the players.

Any potential manager will look at FFC and understand full well what is required……get FFC back to the Championship. Any manager worth his or her salt would see that as absolutely achievable, and would back themselves to be able to do it.

The only hesitation for a manager wouldn’t be the players who have left, it would be the ones who are still here. The new BoD haven’t fired any manager…..and they won’t fire MR. if he goes, it will be at the end of his current contract.

Of course they are viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. The player and manager turnover with a good % of contracts ended early over 4 seasons leads to no other conclusion.

Ex players and managers talk to each other so if Falkirk come calling you are going to contact your mates for a lowdown. What will go well - Not ! 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The club do have a reputation as an unreliable and untrustworthy employer the player and manager turnover saw to that.

I'm not particularly convinced of this.

We haven't sacked managers / got rid of players for unfair reasons. That would give us a reputation as an unreliable and untrustworthy employer.

We've sacked managers and got rid of players because they've been absolutely hoaching and deserved to get binned.

The only folk who should be put off applying to us because of that are managers who are worried they're going to be absolutely dreadful, and to be honest we don't want any of those applying anyway.

I'm not particularly convinced of this.
We haven't sacked managers / got rid of players for unfair reasons. That would give us a reputation as an unreliable and untrustworthy employer.
We've sacked managers and got rid of players because they've been absolutely hoaching and deserved to get binned.
The only folk who should be put off applying to us because of that are managers who are worried they're going to be absolutely dreadful, and to be honest we don't want any of those applying anyway.
Yeah, I doubt many managers are so lacking in self confidence that they would hold back from applying from a job as they might get sacked. Especially given they are likely.to be between jobs at the moment, and highly likely to have been sacked before and will be again.

51 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Of course they are viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. The player and manager turnover with a good % of contracts ended early over 4 seasons leads to no other conclusion.

Ex players and managers talk to each other so if Falkirk come calling you are going to contact your mates for a lowdown. What will go well - Not ! 

Sorry, completely disagree. There is no honour amongst thieves……that is why you often see a manager being fired, and his loyal right hand man takes the reins and doesn’t leave.

Any manager offered the Falkirk gig isn’t going to take counsel from Hartley or McKinnon or M&M. Why? Because a manager’s interaction above is with the Board. None of those guys will have anything to say about our current Board, because they didn’t work with them. If anything, it’s the opposite. Given MRs performance, many will see the FFC Board as being incredibly patient.

I think you are conjuring up relationships amongst a cabal of managers that do not exist.