The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Hartley still getting ALL of the blame for this despite it being a club decision to go for young upcoming unknown players in the hope of selling them on for big money.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/falkirk-axe-renowned-youth-academy-11724613

It was Paul Hartley’s decision and his alone to sign a gang of players he hasn’t seen. 

It was Paul Hartley’s decision and his alone to sign a gang of players he hasn’t seen. 

Bollocks. He was told to follow the Brentford model by our BOD, he did and was sacked. Great interview by Gordon Young on FCB podcast

12 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Bollocks. He was told to follow the Brentford model by our BOD, he did and was sacked. Great interview by Gordon Young on FCB podcast

Because of course he’s going to risk his career and reputation to follow a signing policy dictated by a board of directors. Gordon Young is hardly going to say it was his fault, is he?

29 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

He wanted “Mitch” and Mitch signed a gang so he’s definitely responsible.

Hartley is a good manager and if he had any of the squads that McKInnon of m&m had we’d be out this league in 1 season. Just don’t trust him to sign players from a mate who unearthed the likes of Dan Turner from stoke yet funnily enough has a business down in Stoke, definitely not connected.

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Because of course he’s going to risk his career and reputation to follow a signing policy dictated by a board of directors. Gordon Young is hardly going to say it was his fault, is he?

So why has he not done anything remotely similar before Falkirk or since Falkirk if it was all his idea.

It was Craig Campbell idea and was part of his Project Premiership presentation.   

So why has he not done anything remotely similar before Falkirk or since Falkirk if it was all his idea.
It was Craig Campbell idea and was part of his Project Premiership presentation.   
Can accept it being the clubs idea but the execution of it, which Hartley absolutely was part of and bought into with his pal "Mitch", couldn't have been more shambolic.
Everyone gets a share of the blame for that debacle but to try and absolve Hartley is absolutely wild, why did he accept an entire team he'd never seen? Who scouted and signed Haber/Froxilias/Fasan/Mackin/Russell? Who agreed to punt the majority of an underperforming team who'd just finished 2nd?

9 hours ago, WeeDubsEnd said:

Nice to see the Bairns have found there level again for another season in the seaside league... Enjoy Kelty, Clyde, Peterhead & Alloa & even a possible local Derby against Stenhousemuir.. How's Nesbitt coming along?? 

House! We have a winner on shite patter bingo

14 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Really, have you ever interviewed anybody?

I think the majority on here thought this was a decent shot

I've interviewed plenty of people. But it's not really comparable to football management. I'm not sure Rennie was lauded by the majority when he arrived. Some fans bizarrely decided on Day One he was a great appointment, but I think most were pretty dubious. 

In a 'real' job situation no one generally knows what you've done, other than a CV and your answer to some scenario based interview questions. 

I dont think that would be that helpful recruiting a Falkirk manager. How would someone like Dick Campbell,  or Hughes, who are excellent managers interview? 

'Can you tell me about a situation where..?'

'Ah'm fae Leef'

It's probably always going to be gut feel. My gut feel was that Rennie was a bad appointment (think I said that on here). Yes, he wasn't Largs mafia but he sounded clueless and we were prising him from college women's football. Looked a huge gamble. Doesn't know the league. No pedigree here. And has proven to be miles out of his depth. As was always quite likely.

We keep appointing bad managers. Some are unlucky (like Hartley which looked an excellent appointment). Some like Rennie and Sheerin are far more predictably bad. 

It's always a gamble but you can de-risk that by picking someone plausibly good.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

3 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I've interviewed plenty of people. But it's not really comparable to football management. I'm not sure Rennie was lauded by the majority when he arrived. Some fans bizarrely decided on Day One he was a great appointment, but I think most were pretty dubious. 

In a 'real' job situation no one generally knows what you've done, other than a CV and your answer to some scenario based interview questions. 

I dont think that would be that helpful recruiting a Falkirk manager. How would someone like Dick Campbell,  or Hughes, who are excellent managers interview? 

'Can you tell me about a situation where..?'

'Ah'm fae Leef'

It's probably always going to be gut feel. My gut feel was that Rennie was a bad appointment (think I said that on here). Yes, he wasn't Largs mafia but he sounded clueless and we were prising him from college women's football. Looked a huge gamble. Doesn't know the league. No pedigree here. And has proven to be miles out of his depth. As was always quite likely.

We keep appointing bad managers. Some are unlucky (like Hartley which looked an excellent appointment). Some like Rennie and Sheerin are far more predictably bad. 

It's always a gamble but you can de-risk that by picking someone plausibly good.

My point was more that it was claimed 8 got it wrong, how did we know all 8 were on the same page?

I totally agree with your point around who interviews well verse those that are not great at projecting themselves, and probably more so in a sporting environment. You see it in work places all the time, guys that are brilliant at presentations, however I wouldn't say they were the strongest at their roles compared to some who stumble through.

However if I was in that selection committee (and without knowing what what was said etc) I think I would have been concerned at putting Rice through with the environment the club is in at the moment. Now I don't know him at all, never have spoken to him in my life so it is very preselective of me here, but can you imagine if BR didn't cope with the intensity of the situation?

I think the board would have been hung out with that choice and wrong to put somebody through that.

Saying all that, really subjective of me as don't know his situation fully and I hope he is 100% (i.e. may be talking p*sh here).

Also, I don't know who else was interviewed, but at least it was a short contract for both parties and hopefully they learn from it.

12 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Rennie needs to go (and pronto) but let’s be absolute clear here, this group of players have thrown him under a bus. If a lot of them cannot be moved on next season we need an experienced manager to be able to kick their arses when needed. Something I think we’ve missed for a while. 

If he goes it will be at the end of his contract.

25 Years ago today, this happened!

If you want a break from some of the negative aspects about being a Falkirk at present, then join us at Behind the Wall to celebrate a remarkable achievement and have a pint with some proper legends. 

Buy your tickets here...

(All ticket money from GA sales goes to the Chris Mitchell Foundation and MND Scotland)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/legends-lock-in-tickets-255278092647

IMG_1539.JPG.06009e0c2caee4f4b7ec4a2e4340df93.JPG

Edited by Guest

Guest FFC1965

When McKinnon was hired, the main reason cited was his previous excellent record in the Championship (over 50% win record with each of Raith, Dundee Utd & Morton - though Morton was only 8 games and DUFC should always be doing well in the 2nd tier). 

Actually when you think back McKinnons team was little more than a Lyndon Dykes dive away from staying in the Championship and he was sacked when the team was in a position we would have bitten your hand off for this season.   His teams were a difficult watch but they would horse the current lot.    

If Hartley brought in Mitch then why were we asking Ross county for scout recommendations?  I think Hartley's blame is going through with the whole charade instead of saying feck this I'm not having some punter sending me up players I've never seen play in the flesh. I'm sure he'll never make that mistake again but then I'm sure he'll never end up working for two numpties like Campbell and Lang again.

Guest Ecosse83

Just listened to Rennie’s interview after Cove, what a soft soft manager he is. All this doing well, playing well, passed the ball well can get in the bloody bin. I have no idea how things are in America, his approach might work there but these players need a rocket up their arse. He’s actually too nice! 

38 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

25 Years ago today, this happened!

If you want a break from some of the negative aspects about being a Falkirk at present, then join us at Behind the Wall to celebrate a remarkable achievement and have a pint with some proper legends. 

Buy your tickets here...

(All ticket money from GA sales goes to the Chris Mitchell Foundation and MND Scotland)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/legends-lock-in-tickets-255278092647

IMG_1539.JPG.06009e0c2caee4f4b7ec4a2e4340df93.JPG

Thought this would have sold out quickly, but obviously not ( probably a kick on from the dire shite around the club I would suspect)  unfortunately due to other commitments, I will miss. Hope that the night goes well and what we’d give for the guts, determination and skills these guys gave us.