The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Wow really? You seem to know a lot for someone who claims they don’t get told anything! 

Kenny is a friend of mine. He was not a mate of Rennie. 

I think it was worth the punt. The new Board just in the door. Just like when George Craig was ousted, lots of bad stuff had been hidden away. The new Board couldn’t have had much clarity when they walked in.

Of course, Deans and his pet guard dog jump ship, and in Deans case, blocks all attempts to have it explain a whole load of stuff……all bad.

Key of course, was his desire to sign on for half a season. He wanted to make sure the club were a good fit for him as much as the Board were attracted to the short term contract so that they could be sure that that he was a good fit for the club.

Being a top rated salesman, it should come as no surprise that he did a very good job of selling himself to the club. I would imagine that he would want to stay on, as he knows he is unlikely to get another U.K. gig based on what he has done this season.

If the BoD choose to keep him, then it is unlike anything I have encountered before. Manager gets the bullet for really bad results. His replacement comes in, adds a raft of new players, and comes up with even worse results and gets a contract extension. Eyebrows will be raised, Off The Ball and AVFTT will have an absolute field day (as will every relevant football podcast).

If the BoD stand by him, then the only thing we can say for sure it that they haven’t used performances and results as an important part of their decision making.

7 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think it was worth the punt. The new Board just in the door. Just like when George Craig was ousted, lots of bad stuff had been hidden away. The new Board couldn’t have had much clarity when they walked in.

Of course, Deans and his pet guard dog jump ship, and in Deans case, blocks all attempts to have it explain a whole load of stuff……all bad.

Key of course, was his desire to sign on for half a season. He wanted to make sure the club were a good fit for him as much as the Board were attracted to the short term contract so that they could be sure that that he was a good fit for the club.

Being a top rated salesman, it should come as no surprise that he did a very good job of selling himself to the club. I would imagine that he would want to stay on, as he knows he is unlikely to get another U.K. gig based on what he has done this season.

If the BoD choose to keep him, then it is unlike anything I have encountered before. Manager gets the bullet for really bad results. His replacement comes in, adds a raft of new players, and comes up with even worse results and gets a contract extension. Eyebrows will be raised, Off The Ball and AVFTT will have an absolute field day (as will every relevant football podcast).

If the BoD stand by him, then the only thing we can say for sure it that they haven’t used performances and results as an important part of their decision making.

And the BODs credibility drops into the shite pot that Deans & Co have just vacated, unless there’s something they can keep the supporters on board with…….

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Not at all.

When Rennie was selected , I was really excited as I thought he would bring lots of fresh ideas to the club.

It obviously hasn’t worked out but we were going nowhere with Sheerin and the BOD had the foresight to only give him a short term contract.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I think it was worth taking the chance.

I would imagine he would come over well at interview and I certainly don’t blame anyone for going with him.

I think we now need someone with experience who knows our league and, hopefully, we will get some news fairly soon.

Agree with this, I was also excited by the appointment at the time as I had the fear a Jim Duffy type jobber would get the gig looking at the slim pickings that were realistically available. Rennie’s CV was far better than any of the other candidates mentioned at the time despite most his achievements being gained managing in the American MLS. Hindsight is a great thing and it obviously hasn’t worked out but any managerial appointment is a gamble I guess, I’m just happy they had the foresight to make it a 6 month deal which at least saves us another large payout for sacking yet another manager.

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I'm not having a go at those who are simply guessing he'll be kept on. But, for the 1000th time, the fact Rennie staying on is even still in the discussion is ludicrous. A large chunk of the BoD's reputation rests with a very simple decision.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Because it means 8 people have poorly assessed and agreed on who the top candidate on the shortlist is. 

Really, have you ever interviewed anybody?

I think the majority on here thought this was a decent shot, it hasn't worked for all concerned and we are now in a poorer position.

I would highly doubt any of the parties involved would want this continue, it doesn't take much to work that out surely?

Where we go from here is going to take some strong leadership from the board, the next manager and the spine of the team that we have just never had for as long as I can remember.

50 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I'm not having a go at those who are simply guessing he'll be kept on. But, for the 1000th time, the fact Rennie staying on is even still in the discussion is ludicrous. A large chunk of the BoD's reputation rests with a very simple decision.

We don't know that though. Ultimately, the only discussion that matters is that taking place in the boardroom and there's been no indication from them whatsoever that they wish to keep him on next season. I think a few fans are getting hung up on MR's "next season", "talking to new players" type chat. As I said in another post, that strikes me as the typical bravado of the failing manager. Rennie is not stupid, far from it, and will therefore be fully aware that performances and results are a million miles away from being good enough. He's just never going to admit it, like pretty much every manager the world over. Truth is always the first casualty of the under pressure football manager. You could contrast Rennie's delusional nonsense with what McCall said about Partick Thistle's performance last Friday night. But McCall is doing that from a position of strength - he knows his job is extremely secure so can afford to admit to a bad performance from his team now and again. Rennie simply does not have that luxury. His employment prospects are far more fragile. He knows that he only damages his reputation and draws attention to his failings whenever he is forced to talk about events on the pitch, so he's only too happy to drone on about plans for next season, changing the whole culture of the club etc etc. He's literally changing his job remit - a short-term, rapid improvement in performance was it not?- as he does so, and most of us, certainly on here, can see right through it for the blatant deflection it is. I'd be astonished - and extremely worried - if those on the board cannot. But, unlike practically everyone else on here it seems, I do not know them so maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve.

Of course, if he is kept on, everything in this post can be roundly derided!!

27 minutes ago, AGPar said:

We don't know that though. Ultimately, the only discussion that matters is that taking place in the boardroom and there's been no indication from them whatsoever that they wish to keep him on next season. I think a few fans are getting hung up on MR's "next season", "talking to new players" type chat. As I said in another post, that strikes me as the typical bravado of the failing manager. Rennie is not stupid, far from it, and will therefore be fully aware that performances and results are a million miles away from being good enough. He's just never going to admit it, like pretty much every manager the world over. Truth is always the first casualty of the under pressure football manager. You could contrast Rennie's delusional nonsense with what McCall said about Partick Thistle's performance last Friday night. But McCall is doing that from a position of strength - he knows his job is extremely secure so can afford to admit to a bad performance from his team now and again. Rennie simply does not have that luxury. His employment prospects are far more fragile. He knows that he only damages his reputation and draws attention to his failings whenever he is forced to talk about events on the pitch, so he's only too happy to drone on about plans for next season, changing the whole culture of the club etc etc. He's literally changing his job remit - a short-term, rapid improvement in performance was it not?- as he does so, and most of us, certainly on here, can see right through it for the blatant deflection it is. I'd be astonished - and extremely worried - if those on the board cannot. But, unlike practically everyone else on here it seems, I do not know them so maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve.

Of course, if he is kept on, everything in this post can be roundly derided!!

I don't even think Rennie would even come out and say we are dugmeat obviously we are, he'd rather waffle some nonsensical pish that couldn't be further from the truth about where we are at its like the word negativity isn't in his DNA but I don't know who he's trying to convince, himself and the board perhaps, because absolutely nobody else is believing the guff that leaves his lips. 

2 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Really, have you ever interviewed anybody?

I think the majority on here thought this was a decent shot, it hasn't worked for all concerned and we are now in a poorer position.

I would highly doubt any of the parties involved would want this continue, it doesn't take much to work that out surely?

Where we go from here is going to take some strong leadership from the board, the next manager and the spine of the team that we have just never had for as long as I can remember.

Yes I have. Good example of a closed question btw.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

18 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Rennie needs to go (and pronto) but let’s be absolute clear here, this group of players have thrown him under a bus. If a lot of them cannot be moved on next season we need an experienced manager to be able to kick their arses when needed. Something I think we’ve missed for a while. 

But then you kick arses and there’s a revolt.

6 hours ago, Bairnschild said:

I'd take a chance on Robbie Horn.  Young enough, and deserves his chance of a full time gig (if he wants it)

Robbie Horn's a senior solicitor at Gillespie McAndrew in Edinburgh. Can't see him giving up his job security and salary for any full-time job.

11 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’d be looking for managers with a track record of getting the best out of a decent set of players in the Scottish lower leagues. It’s not rocket science and frankly a think a lot of our current issues have been caused by trying to play 5d chess when a simpler approach would have yielded better results (Particularly thinking about summer 2018 when Hartley ripped up a squad that had performed very well from January onwards and replaced them with unknown gambles who failed spectacularly)

Hartley still getting ALL of the blame for this despite it being a club decision to go for young upcoming unknown players in the hope of selling them on for big money.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/falkirk-axe-renowned-youth-academy-11724613

I still go back to the first FSS gig in BTW with MR taking questions. He was asked that why as a full time club did we not see dominance if not in terms of skill, then certainly in terms of staying power for the full 90 minutes. It is still the case that after around 70 minutes, part time teams tail off, and full time fitness really shows.

His answer certainly troubled me. He said a couple of things. He said there was no longer fitness and stamina differences between full time and part time players. He said part time players now all had individual training programmes to complete during the week so their fitness was up there with full timers.

He also said that the good part time players were often paid more than many (of our?) full time players, and so actually having good quality part time players can cost more (I think he was answering a question that wasn’t asked along the lines of “could we save money going part time”. ) No one asked that question.

In my head, rather than answer the question, he just planted another two which were “so why the hell are we a full time club when there is neither a skill or fitness benefit” and “so are you saying being full time is cheaper as bang average full time players are cheaper than having good quality part time players”.

I don’t think he was joining up what he was saying. It was as if he gave an answer to each question individually, but didn’t see how contradictory those answers were. It almost felt like the important bit was being full time, not being good.