The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’d be looking for managers with a track record of getting the best out of a decent set of players in the Scottish lower leagues. It’s not rocket science and frankly a think a lot of our current issues have been caused by trying to play 5d chess when a simpler approach would have yielded better results (Particularly thinking about summer 2018 when Hartley ripped up a squad that had performed very well from January onwards and replaced them with unknown gambles who failed spectacularly)

The standout choice would be Ian McCall who’s won this league title twice in the past five years, but there’s no reason to think he will be available.

Allan Johnston comes next for me, but the board would need to give him a 1 year deal on a very specific remit to get us promoted as league winners. I’d give him a contract that includes a substantial cash bonus if we do win the league, but still move on from him even if we go up (ala McKinnon at QP)

Jim Duffy is another shout, but he was poor at Ayr and has had some health problems so not sure how keen he would be to take on a stressful position.

Duffy isn’t the only ex-Falkirk manager who could be in line for a return. Peter Houston would be a universally popular choice, but I think his managerial career is over and he’s got a cushy scouting job at Celtic. 

John Hughes also likely to be available, but other than the 2015 Scottish cup, he’s done basically nothing since leaving us well over a decade ago.

Steven Pressley? He wasn’t popular at all in his first season with us but grew his reputation a lot in the 2010-11 season before getting a big money move down to England. Hasn’t managed in a couple of years so maybe he could be persuaded to dust off his brown shoes. 

But there is the rub we dont have a 'Decent set of players' and to punt the ones we have on contract eats into the budget to attract the decent set of players you mention.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’d be looking for managers with a track record of getting the best out of a decent set of players in the Scottish lower leagues. It’s not rocket science and frankly a think a lot of our current issues have been caused by trying to play 5d chess when a simpler approach would have yielded better results (Particularly thinking about summer 2018 when Hartley ripped up a squad that had performed very well from January onwards and replaced them with unknown gambles who failed spectacularly)

The standout choice would be Ian McCall who’s won this league title twice in the past five years, but there’s no reason to think he will be available.

Allan Johnston comes next for me, but the board would need to give him a 1 year deal on a very specific remit to get us promoted as league winners. I’d give him a contract that includes a substantial cash bonus if we do win the league, but still move on from him even if we go up (ala McKinnon at QP)

Jim Duffy is another shout, but he was poor at Ayr and has had some health problems so not sure how keen he would be to take on a stressful position.

Duffy isn’t the only ex-Falkirk manager who could be in line for a return. Peter Houston would be a universally popular choice, but I think his managerial career is over and he’s got a cushy scouting job at Celtic. 

John Hughes also likely to be available, but other than the 2015 Scottish cup, he’s done basically nothing since leaving us well over a decade ago.

Steven Pressley? He wasn’t popular at all in his first season with us but grew his reputation a lot in the 2010-11 season before getting a big money move down to England. Hasn’t managed in a couple of years so maybe he could be persuaded to dust off his brown shoes. 

Kevin Thomson Kelty ?

Put a winning team on the park from scratch.

OK he's a blue nose and that does not matter a damn. If it bothers some supporters then grow up.

Ian Murray would be my first choice. I wouldn’t be disappointed with Tommy Wright either (assuming he’d be interested) but I’m not as keen on him as I once was after a poor spell at Kilmarnock.

Craig Levein really interests me. A wealth of experience and knows the Scottish game. He’s certainly more than capable at this level and I think he could be exactly the type of appointment we need right now. Whether he has a desire to get back into management is another matter, but we could do a lot worse than ask the question.

There are no guarantees no matter who we appoint, but the thought of McIntyre or Johnston does absolutely nothing for me.

Edited by MSG GTF!

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Duffy and Presley. Jesus wept. Duffys been hopeless for years and Presley's failed miserably at every club he's managed. I'm sure he'd promise us we'd go up though at least.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

All the Directors sat round a table and put one of their mates names forward and whatever Director shouted the loudest, their mate got the job.

Who is Rennie “mates” with on the Board? 

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes, Murray, you would imagine,would wait until after the play-offs with Airdrie to see whether they get promotion.

Why would Murray be interested in a club in need of a total rebuild in the same division he manages at the moment,    knowing full well if things were going pete tong at Xmas he would get binned....  The team I think could possibly tempt him would be Raith Rovers all depending on how our season ends....

Guest FFC1965

Whoever is in charge for next season is likely to be somebody out of a job now or at the season end. 

Given the club is groaning under the weight of its liabilities then its fair to say that they wont be shopping at Harrods. 

Talk of McCall, Murray or even Thomson is fanciful so the likes of McPake, Johnstone & McIntyre might be as good as it gets. 

Rennie would definitely not be my choice but I still sense that he might get it on the basis that it would be a cheap quick and easy option. 

It will be sold on a "theres been a revolving door for too long / give him a full season" line which of course is bollocks.  He was hired as the firefighetr/turnaround guy and has failed miserably.       

Ive not been to a game since Peterhead at home on 22 Feb but results suggest that he is not the man for the job next season - especially when he wont be able to build his own team.  Given the fiascotic contract situation at least half the team for 22/23 will be players currently not doing very well under Rennie today.    

Shame that a local lad isnt a success but there we are.     I cleaned the 1st teams boots as a kid in the 1970s, sadly it doesn't make me Pep.  

17 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Looking at his record, he started extremely well, so was it the league that was an issue or was he not able to sustain it as it was a dramatic change of fortune?

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 19.52.51.png

Had we sacked him after failing in the play offs then I think his time with us would be looked back at as fairly successful. Rebuilt the team from a complete mess that he inherited, however in his second rebuild he had no where near the success.

I'd say he would be a good appointment to get you out the league and stable in the championship, but beyond that he's not the man for the job.

Guest Ecosse83
2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

All the Directors sat round a table and put one of their mates names forward and whatever Director shouted the loudest, their mate got the job.

😂😂 pretty much how it went from what I heard 

Time is really important now. There is nothing MR can do between now and the end of the season that can influence how he has performed since his arrival.

EF might see their game as important, but neither the Alloa nor QP mean anything at all. Winning them proves nothing, losing them doesn’t make any difference as to how the BoD should be measuring him.

He has shown that he can pre-prepare an excuse (Watson and Mills suddenly being declared to be his first choice pairing the minute both were injured being a perfect example). Apart from that, a central defence first choice pairing effectively alludes to him playing a four at the back. Was that something that crystal clear on a Saturday? It certainly wasn’t that clear to me.

The 4th of May 2019 was the last time we beat another full time side……..and even that wasn’t a full competitive game as Ross County were on holiday as they had already won the league. Couple that to a club that has won its first game of the season once in the past 14 years, and it’s not hard to see that we are stuck in a very deep rut.

No doubt out there somewhere are the stats to prove a manager arriving mid season to turn a club’s fortunes around gets decent backing, then somehow manages to make things worse, yet gets his contract renewed for another season. Getting a new contract for performing worse than the guy you replaced (who was sacked for performing better than the new guy) has got to be a pretty rare event. If it happens, I am interested to see how it is going to be sold to the support……and yes, I am convinced (by no evidence) that he is going to be offered a new contract.

We will soon see how convincing a salesman he really is.

25 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Yes. We both know it was a mess but you keep playing dumb 👍🏻

I am not saying that Rennie has been a success but the board certainly went through a proper interview process with both candidates. 

57 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

😂😂 pretty much how it went from what I heard 

Well you heard wrong. They even had Rawlins involved. Because your contacts didn’t get their way doesn’t mean the process wasn’t run properly