The Falkirk FC Thread

Called Rennie out the very first time I heard him talk. Same age as the players, played too and there’s no way they would take that guy seriously. He must be the least charismatic and most dull boring manager in any of the leagues. An incredible lack of personality 

People banging on about philosophy and style of play etc etc etc too 

Ffs it is Scottish League 1. Sign good players, have an enjoyable and fun environment, build a team spirit and play 4-4-2 it’s not rocket science 

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Called Rennie out the very first time I heard him talk. Same age as the players, played too and there’s no way they would take that guy seriously. He must be the least charismatic and most dull boring manager in any of the leagues. An incredible lack of personality 

Ffs it is Scottish League 1. Sign good players, have an enjoyable and fun environment, build a team spirit and play 4-4-2 it’s not rocket science 

This 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe the reason we are slow is because  our players are 46.

29 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Why do so many fans of other clubs think they know better than folk that watch us every week?

I don't go onto other club threads and give their fans advice because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Because it's in the interests of every opposition fan for Falkirk to continue to be managed by a complete and utter diddy. The kind of diddy who is frightened to death of Peterhead, incapable of winning against Clyde and perfectly comfortable with a 2-0 defeat at home to the likes of Cove Rangers.

McKinnon, "M and M", Sheerin, Rennie. Look no further for the primary factor for our embarrassing performance in this league over the past three seasons.

They sure as hell don't want Falkirk being led by a competent football manager. Which is one of the big reasons we need to be out there looking for one as of right now.

12 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Because it's in the interests of every opposition fan for Falkirk to continue to be managed by a complete and utter diddy. The kind of diddy who is frightened to death of Peterhead, incapable of winning against Clyde and perfectly comfortable with a 2-0 defeat at home to the likes of Cove Rangers.

McKinnon, "M and M", Sheerin, Rennie. Look no further for the primary factor for our embarrassing performance in this league over the past three seasons.

They sure as hell don't want Falkirk being led by a competent football manager. Which is one of the big reasons we need to be out there looking for one as of right now.

D7861A83-6488-46F9-AF9A-418E07D9218C.gif.d08d05244ceb8f53e7a11fcf904f8404.gif

58 minutes ago, AGPar said:

……..and yet for all of the evidence, all of the logic, the complete lack of any sign of knowing what he is doing…….despite all of that,  I think the BoD will be trying to figure out how to get out the message that he is going to be offered a contract for next season without triggering nuclear fission.

Clearly, the next three games are irrelevant in terms of performance. Even if QP lost their last three games and we won ours, I would not be interested in “we missed out on the play offs by just one point” revisionism.

Everything that MR can be judged on has already taken place. There is nothing around the corner to influence things……and with three meaningless games to come, they shouldn’t affect the decision in any way.
In the last game of the season, QP will be resting players for the play off games, they couldn’t care less about the game against us, so even if we were to win it 6-0, it means absolutely nothing……it changes nothing.

9 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

We’ve had “Cones” for Sheerin and the “Sevco Gobbler” for Miller but Rennie seems to have gotten away with it. Pretty obvious to me - The Ballboy.

Heartburn or Indigestion, surely?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

10 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

I tend to agree with this, getting rid of the manager but keeping this squad is pointless. However I’d also say that getting rid of the players but keeping the manager is also pointless. The whole lot need to go.

How we finance that I have no idea. I know the patrons had said they would welcome further investment, do we know if there is anything in the pipeline or are we solely dependent on FSS subscriptions for further cash injections?

I don't think investment is the right word, give us some money so we can pay some right duffers to piss off is more accurate .

What Is an Investment?

An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation. Appreciation refers to an increase in the value of an asset over time. When an individual purchases a good as an investment, the intent is not to consume the good but rather to use it in the future to create wealth.

20 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That doesn't mean anything re the manager's position mind you. We've hired a chief scout who isn't going to sit on his arse for months until we appoint a manager. He should be scouting new players now and seeing whose available. Transfer window doesn't open for a couple of months but he'll be drawing up a list for the manager whoever he is come that time.

Who’s the chief scout?

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

Why do so many fans of other clubs think they know better than folk that watch us every week?

I don't go onto other club threads and give their fans advice because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

You should have seen our thread and social media pages when we appointed Ray McKinnon 

12 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

Perhaps the most measured and apposite post on here   The manager the the fans want, and that manager that the club needs are often two different people.  Will the new board succumb to the instant gratification demanded by the fans?  Or will they tough it out and be unpopular and have a long term strategy in the best interests of the club going forward?

Have watched Falkirk as a Clyde fan, and as a neutral, there is no doubt that you have had a bad season.  But MR needs a lot more time than you are giving him.  Instant results may not be what is best for the club just now.  Being given time (as other managers such as Ian Murray have had time) to build their own squad will pay dividends in the long run.  

To me, Falkirk fans have big time entitlement issues.  Too big a club playing in a diddy league and struggling against diddy teams like Clyde.  But come on,  is this not the best league for building future stability?

To me, you board would be wise were they to offer MR a two year contract.  Let him clear out the bag of garbage that he has inherited and give him time to build his own squad.  Rome was not built in a day, and a new Falkirk will not necessarily be built in a season.  So ship the "big club" entitlement issues.  Accept that you are where you are, and build on that.  

The answer is not to try to sack as many managers as Alan Sugar has apprentices.  This is a football club that is on the back foot.  Give MR time to leave a legacy to the Bairns of the future to give them a high achieving club of which they can be proud. 

Christ at least sheerin managed to thrash your mob twice. Rennie has failed miserably in his two attempts despite bringing in 7 players.

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Every club that finds itself in a downward spiral with managers rarely lasting a whole season should aspire to get someone in long term and steady the ship, but clubs can't simply say "we've gone through too many managers recently, we have to give the next one two or three seasons no matter what." If the manager proves themselves to be a blithering incompetent you can't stick with them just for the sake of stability - you don't give yourself any stability by persisting with a dreadful manager for the sake of it, you make yourself even worse.

Rennie has not just failed to turn round Falkirk but has demonstrably made them even worse than they were under Sheerin, and it could get worse still - they could easily end up 6th or 7th. Falkirk giving him a new contract would be an act of self-harm on a par with Clyde's failure to sack John Brown after relegation to the third tier, and it could send them on the same trajectory.

We've been saying this for hundreds of pages bud.

P.S. After the Titanic struck the iceberg they tried to steady the ship but unfortunately it went into a downward spiral. The good news was that when it settled on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean it was pretty stable.

I’d be looking for managers with a track record of getting the best out of a decent set of players in the Scottish lower leagues. It’s not rocket science and frankly a think a lot of our current issues have been caused by trying to play 5d chess when a simpler approach would have yielded better results (Particularly thinking about summer 2018 when Hartley ripped up a squad that had performed very well from January onwards and replaced them with unknown gambles who failed spectacularly)

The standout choice would be Ian McCall who’s won this league title twice in the past five years, but there’s no reason to think he will be available.

Allan Johnston comes next for me, but the board would need to give him a 1 year deal on a very specific remit to get us promoted as league winners. I’d give him a contract that includes a substantial cash bonus if we do win the league, but still move on from him even if we go up (ala McKinnon at QP)

Jim Duffy is another shout, but he was poor at Ayr and has had some health problems so not sure how keen he would be to take on a stressful position.

Duffy isn’t the only ex-Falkirk manager who could be in line for a return. Peter Houston would be a universally popular choice, but I think his managerial career is over and he’s got a cushy scouting job at Celtic. 

John Hughes also likely to be available, but other than the 2015 Scottish cup, he’s done basically nothing since leaving us well over a decade ago.

Steven Pressley? He wasn’t popular at all in his first season with us but grew his reputation a lot in the 2010-11 season before getting a big money move down to England. Hasn’t managed in a couple of years so maybe he could be persuaded to dust off his brown shoes. 

17 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

We’d do well to convince Rice after the way the Rennie appointment was handled.

Murray’s as good a shout as any so far.  

The way the Rennie Appt was handled?