The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I'll be interested to see who people would like as I'm struggling to name atm, I'm surprised at the Johnson shouts as I can only remember negative stuff from QotS etc?

He did win this league with a full time QOTS at a canter to be fair, same at Dunfermline. (something we have came nowhere near doing) His record in the championship however is pretty shit. Don’t know why but even although he struggled to put together a league winining side at Kilmarnock i’d probably go for Tommy Wright from the available options, or Ian Murray if Airdrie don’t go up. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

12 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I'll be interested to see who people would like as I'm struggling to name atm, I'm surprised at the Johnson shouts as I can only remember negative stuff from QotS etc?

Johnston has a good record at this level.  He's walked the league with both Queens and Dunfermline.

However, everything else on his CV at other levels has been rotten.  His latest spell with us was just dreadful. Lousy recruitment, inexplicable tinkering and ludicrous attempts to justify it.

I can't imagine he's what any club needs right now.

7 hours ago, Broken Bairn said:

The club has been dying slowly for a number of years now. We lost some diehards when we left Brockville, we lost some to the new stadium being away from town and the lack of atmosphere compared to Brockville. We lost more due to the crazy decisions of the previous people running our club and we now have the last of the diehards seriously questioning if it is all worth the effort. Many will find that this season will be the straw that broke the camels back and will make them break the habit that they have had for decades and not bother going next season. This is a watershed moment in the history of FFC. The new board must invest and get further investment in like never before to try and keep these fans and even entice a few back. This will be no easy task for so many reasons happening around the world at the moment, but you have to give us hope, and by keeping the current management team you will kill that hope instantly and possibly our club with it.

👍🙌

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

FWIW I don't think Rennie is staying. I've already said this but I just think the board have accepted this season is gone, and have selected the preferable "optics" of letting Rennie take the team, letting his contract expire and put out a both parties say thanks and move on, rather than carry out a sacking that would achieve absolutely nothing except to appease some blood lust from the fans. 

The gamble is, I suppose, every week of this apathy is another week of potential for fans to reach the tipping point of not coming back.... 

Eta im nit sure iv been at a home game since this PA thing kicked off. What's the jist of it?

There is a middle ground where it’s announced now he’s not being kept on beyond end of season which would be open & transparent & give them some breathing space 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Johnston has a good record at this level.  He's walked the league with both Queens and Dunfermline.

However, everything else on his CV at other levels has been rotten.  His latest spell with us was just dreadful. Lousy recruitment, inexplicable tinkering and ludicrous attempts to justify it.

I can't imagine he's what any club needs right now.

Looking at his record, he started extremely well, so was it the league that was an issue or was he not able to sustain it as it was a dramatic change of fortune?

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 19.52.51.png

23 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Looking at his record, he started extremely well, so was it the league that was an issue or was he not able to sustain it as it was a dramatic change of fortune?

Screenshot 2022-04-10 at 19.52.51.png

The last time we came down, a decade ago, he was brought in and benefited from a real tail wind in that a few young players who soon earned upward moves, came through together.  The 3rd tier was also weaker then, with nobody like yourselves for company.

The season went incredibly well.  We won the league so early that the pitch was banked in snow.  We also won the Challenge Cup by beating Rangers and the top two in the Championship en route.

It earned him a move to Kilmarnock, which didn't go well or last long.  When he picked up Dunfermline in this league that I'm again learning to call home, he again won comfortably.  He was found wanting in the Championship with them though, and was really pretty dismal with us after that for 3 seasons, with Covid arguably rescuing us twice.  

He seems to do alright with big advantages, so there might be a logic that says he'd work out with you guys in this environment. To be honest though, I don't really think there's much to commend him as a manager.

8 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

“If it doesn’t work out” relates to a possible outcome in the future.

”It hasn’t worked out” relates to a measurable outcome in the here and now.

The BoD might be making a plan and contingency relating to the former.

The wider support are firmly planted in the latter, and a sizeable chunk will walk away if the BoD decide to give him another year.

It’s as simple choice…….give the support what they want, or give the club what you think it needs. If the BoD reckon keeping him on to be in the best interests of the club, then that is what they must do, and in turn, live with the consequences of that.

Perhaps the most measured and apposite post on here   The manager the the fans want, and that manager that the club needs are often two different people.  Will the new board succumb to the instant gratification demanded by the fans?  Or will they tough it out and be unpopular and have a long term strategy in the best interests of the club going forward?

Have watched Falkirk as a Clyde fan, and as a neutral, there is no doubt that you have had a bad season.  But MR needs a lot more time than you are giving him.  Instant results may not be what is best for the club just now.  Being given time (as other managers such as Ian Murray have had time) to build their own squad will pay dividends in the long run.  

To me, Falkirk fans have big time entitlement issues.  Too big a club playing in a diddy league and struggling against diddy teams like Clyde.  But come on,  is this not the best league for building future stability?

To me, you board would be wise were they to offer MR a two year contract.  Let him clear out the bag of garbage that he has inherited and give him time to build his own squad.  Rome was not built in a day, and a new Falkirk will not necessarily be built in a season.  So ship the "big club" entitlement issues.  Accept that you are where you are, and build on that.  

The answer is not to try to sack as many managers as Alan Sugar has apprentices.  This is a football club that is on the back foot.  Give MR time to leave a legacy to the Bairns of the future to give them a high achieving club of which they can be proud. 

3 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Perhaps the most measured and apposite post on here   The manager the the fans want, and that manager that the club needs are often two different people.  Will the new board succumb to the instant gratification demanded by the fans?  Or will they tough it out and be unpopular and have a long term strategy in the best interests of the club going forward?

Have watched Falkirk as a Clyde fan, and as a neutral, there is no doubt that you have had a bad season.  But MR needs a lot more time than you are giving him.  Instant results may not be what is best for the club just now.  Being given time (as other managers such as Ian Murray have had time) to build their own squad will pay dividends in the long run.  

To me, Falkirk fans have big time entitlement issues.  Too big a club playing in a diddy league and struggling against diddy teams like Clyde.  But come on,  is this not the best league for building future stability?

To me, you board would be wise were they to offer MR a two year contract.  Let him clear out the bag of garbage that he has inherited and give him time to build his own squad.  Rome was not built in a day, and a new Falkirk will not necessarily be built in a season.  So ship the "big club" entitlement issues.  Accept that you are where you are, and build on that.  

The answer is not to try to sack as many managers as Alan Sugar has apprentices.  This is a football club that is on the back foot.  Give MR time to leave a legacy to the Bairns of the future to give them a high achieving club of which they can be proud. 

Rennie has brought in 7 players and has made us a lot worse than Sheerin. He does not deserve time, and you do not know anything about our club. 

6 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

There is simply no justification for giving Rennie a 2 year (or any) deal. 7 players in the door yet there has been absolutely no improvement in results, performances or tactics. He’s actually made us worse.

We’d be as well bringing back Sheerin, M&M or McKinnon- all of whom have better records.

17 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Absolute bollocks 

22 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

With all due respect…shut the f**k up

12 minutes ago, grant1903 said:

How many away fans will yous bring next week since playoffs are out of reach,guy who has the brig tavern along from bayview was asking,cheers 

Tell him there will be no need to cover the pool table and pass on our apologies on to any staff who might be looking for extra hours.

57 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Rennie has brought in 7 players and has made us a lot worse than Sheerin. He does not deserve time, and you do not know anything about our club. 

51 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

There is simply no justification for giving Rennie a 2 year (or any) deal. 7 players in the door yet there has been absolutely no improvement in results, performances or tactics. He’s actually made us worse.

We’d be as well bringing back Sheerin, M&M or McKinnon- all of whom have better records.

He needs more time.  The mess that he has inherited could not be turned around in half a season by even Jürgen Klopp.  Cut the man some slack.  

Why do so many fans of other clubs think they know better than folk that watch us every week?

I don't go onto other club threads and give their fans advice because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.