The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

I’ve still to see any significant walk away from our fans. We have been dreadful for several years and still manage at least 3000+ at home games. Perhaps the reduction is more visible in away games (we used to bring quite a sizable support with us).

Apathy is a common trait amongst us. We complain constantly (I am also part of this) but will we do anything about it?

Unlikely.

Still think if Rennie has got the gig for next season “Unlikely” will become “Likely”

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Doubt he'd be any cheaper than many other options mind you. His previous post might have been at a us college but they don't pay peanuts I can't see him giving it up just for the sake of a 6 month deal at Falkirk on much lower wages .  Ok if you go for a manager in a post you'd have compo to deal with but there's other options that wouldn't have that cost surely.

I just can't think of any other reason for keeping him.

Surely if the FSS can make a poll on whether to sign a rapist or not, they can make one on whether Rennie should be kept on or not?
Na not for me, I think the potential of signing Goodwillie was outwith a normal footballing call. It was a morality issue and the fans had to get their say across on that. We can't be having polls for everything. It's a board decision. They are the ones having conversations with Rennie, identifying who could replace him if he is emptied etc etc.

I am absolutely on board with a poll on whether we should scout the juniors, and also a vote on who is on the front post at corners.

13 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Surely if the FSS can make a poll on whether to sign a rapist or not, they can make one on whether Rennie should be kept on or not?

Unless it's the FSS representatives who want to keep him, maybe?

49 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

I’ve still to see any significant walk away from our fans. We have been dreadful for several years and still manage at least 3000+ at home games. Perhaps the reduction is more visible in away games (we used to bring quite a sizable support with us).

Apathy is a common trait amongst us. We complain constantly (I am also part of this) but will we do anything about it?

Unlikely.

It has happened before and it can happen again 1970-71  we were getting  8,9000 home support  1975 it was 500 -1,000.

Same circumstances poor team, poor board, financial strain on supports income.

That is why the budget has to be accurate the clubs very future depends on it.

33 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

I’m actually not sure they should even have done a poll for that, if the members are asked to vote on every decision it just becomes chaotic. The members should elect who we want to make decisions on our behalf and let them get on with it, if we don’t like the job they are doing they won’t get re-elected and will be replaced. I think that’s the simplest and best way forward for the society. Maybe in extenuating circumstances a vote could be held in a similar way government’s occasionally hold referendums but it should be the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by LatapyBairn.

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na not for me, I think the potential of signing Goodwillie was outwith a normal footballing call. It was a morality issue and the fans had to get their say across on that. We can't be having polls for everything. It's a board decision. They are the ones having conversations with Rennie, identifying who could replace him if he is emptied etc etc.

I am absolutely on board with a poll on whether we should scout the juniors, and also a vote on who is on the front post at corners.

It would be morally wrong to continue our suffering by keeping Rennie in charge but away from that you’re probably not far wrong. 

Board have actually been good so far at making the announcements in the right way too. Everyone (including myself) was getting very very itchy with Holt not being binned - all sorts of posters saying he was having a hand in signings in January etc. 2 days later he was gone. 

Old board was far too leaky. I suspect they know Rennie is for the bin - but leaking that isn’t professional. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm sure they said at the meet the board meetings that we were staying full time. You should've gone along and asked them.

No official announcement has been made and over the decades watching Falkirk have heard many  'Circumstances dictated' to make any assumptions.  Hope its full time if it is make an official statement.

If there is one positive thing the board can do is to improve their media management.

What's stopping them is what's got me worried.

1 hour ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

Unlikely.

Have you been to either of the two most recent home games? The drop-off in support is staggering. I wasn't at the Montrose match but the South Stand yesterday felt as empty as I can possibly ever remember it since its opening 13/14 years ago, certainly for a league fixture. I could easily foresee an equivalent terrible away support at Methil on Saturday. The attendance figures discussion has been done to death on here and elsewhere, suffice to say they are nonsense as they include all season tickets sold so bear no reflection of the actual attendance on the day. There was nothing like that number against Cove.

Whilst it's clear that many have, understandably, chucked it for this season, I'm not totally convinced there will be a massive drop-off next season even if Rennie is inexplicably kept on. A decline certainly, especially when you consider the wider economic climate, but we've had what, five seasons of basically utter dross and season tickets and attendances have held up remarkably (and undeservedly) well in that period. I still remember the summer we went down, 2019, when morale was at rock-bottom and the clowns in the boardroom were trying to flog the club to the Bexley shyster. Everyone was saying "not renewing", "will pay at the gate", "won't be back until the club is sold". We still reached something like 2200/2300 season tickets.

I'm still holding out hope that (a) those running the club cannot possibly be so wilfully ignorant as to what is staring them in the face in terms of on-pitch performance, diminishing fanbase and the incredible degree of apathy gripping the club and (b) that Rennie's next season/planning for the future schtick is just the standard bravado and defence mechanism of a manager who knows that he's finished but has to keep up the pretence/delusion for the sake of his future employment prospects. The alternative is too horrendous to contemplate. 

Edited by AGPar
Spelling

I don't expect the board to announce Rennie is leaving. The prospect of the players giving even less of a shit than they do now isn't appeaing and it's still possible for us to end up in the relegation play-offs I think. The fact they haven't announced he is staying is a good thing. Kenny Miller spending an increasing amount of time with the media seems to point to him going though. 

If Rennie stays, I won't renew my ST but if results pick up I'll probably pay at the gate. Sustained improvement may see me buy a half season at Xmas.

If Rennie goes and an interesting name is appointed, I'll probably renew BUT only after the first game of the season, no Early Bird for me.

Reason is I want to see if they continue with the ridiculous lecture over the PA. I will not return if that stays. I don't go to the football to be patronised, lectured and treated like an idiot. I can stay at home for that. Get that lecture to f**k and whoever dreamt it up should get a real dressing down, fucking idiot. 

Edited by Newbornbairn
speelng

FWIW I don't think Rennie is staying. I've already said this but I just think the board have accepted this season is gone, and have selected the preferable "optics" of letting Rennie take the team, letting his contract expire and put out a both parties say thanks and move on, rather than carry out a sacking that would achieve absolutely nothing except to appease some blood lust from the fans. 

The gamble is, I suppose, every week of this apathy is another week of potential for fans to reach the tipping point of not coming back.... 

Eta im nit sure iv been at a home game since this PA thing kicked off. What's the jist of it?

Edited by Bairnardo

6 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I don't expect the board to announce Rennie is leaving. The prospect of the players giving even less of a shit than they do now isn't appeaing and it's still possible for us to end up in the relegation play-offs I think. The fact they haven't announced he is staying is a good thing. Kenny Miller spending an increasing amount of time with the media seems to point to him going though. 

If Rennie stays, I won't renew my ST but if results pick up I'll probably pay at the gate. Sustained improvement may see me buy a half season at Xmas.

If Rennie goes and an interesting name is appointed, I'll probably renew BUT only after the first game of the season, no Early Bird for me.

Reason is I want to see if they continue with the ridiculous lecture over the PA. I will not return if that stays. I don't go to the football to be patronised, lectured and treated like an idiot. I can stay at home for that. Get that lecture to f**k and whoever dreamt it up should get a real dressing down, fucking idiot. 

You won't go to games because the PA system tells you not to invade the pitch or shout racist abuse?

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You won't go to games because the PA system tells you not to invade the pitch or shout racist abuse?

There's more to it than that - it's a five minute tirade. Totally over the top.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Eta im nit sure iv been at a home game since this PA thing kicked off. What's the jist of it?

"Sit on yer arse or we'll punish ye, don't complain or we'll punish ye, don't talk back or we'll punish ye, don't give the stewards funny looks or we'll punish ye, don't open your mouth or we'll punish ye, do as you're told or we'll punish ye."

Only heard it the once (they dropped it for the next game). At first it's just background noise but it goes on and on and on to the point the folk around me in the SS were clearly getting irritated by it. 

FWIW I don't think Rennie is staying. I've already said this but I just think the board have accepted this season is gone, and have selected the preferable "optics" of letting Rennie take the team, letting his contract expire and put out a both parties say thanks and move on, rather than carry out a sacking that would achieve absolutely nothing except to appease some blood lust from the fans. 
The gamble is, I suppose, every week of this apathy is another week of potential for fans to reach the tipping point of not coming back.... 

It could be worse this young man apparently deserves a full time club according to his pals in the media.

bb32b7555ee8f3ff144bd6f2459f2c84.jpg