The Falkirk FC Thread

28 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

His downfall began in summer 2016 when he didn't fix it. That was the problem.

Houston was a very good player and manager for us. He was 150% committed to the cause too. Went toe to toe with Hearts, Rangers and Hibs and didn’t give a f**k about their reputations. I loved the guy.

I have to be honest and say that in the current financial climate the thought of stumping up £250 for a ST if Rennie is still in charge is going to take some serious thought, especially if he is saddled with a large amount of the current squad.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Houston was a very good player and manager for us. He was 150% committed to the cause too. Went toe to toe with Hearts, Rangers and Hibs and didn’t give a f**k about their reputations. I loved the guy.

Yes so did I, as player and manager too. I am sticking with the other comment though.

It’s been a hard start for those now involved in running the club, and I appreciate that, and we all know the standard of players we have are simply not good enough. However there should be no doubt we can’t take the chance in keeping Rennie on beyond the end of the season, He just doesn’t give me any confidence he could make an improvement irrespective of who he finds or signs. I don’t think there’s a hope in hell there being a quick fix for the shit we are in.

5 home wins from 17 games, 18 points from 51 at home, is an utter disgrace. 

Finally I see they are having an awards night. God help us, have they no shame, handing out awards and back slapping when we are the laughing stock of Scottish Football 

38 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

You'd have got him a year ago, no doubt about it, but a combination of Falkirk's almost cartoonish level of club mess and the fact that he's been given complete freedom now at Airdrie and has been unshackled from any DOF/BOD interference in his team, signings and selections makes me think that it's a non starter. You'd have to put together a ridiculous financial package and I think even then it's unlikely.

He wouldn't have any dof/ bod interference with us either mind you. If Airdrie stay down who knows . Might be better options than us in for him though. 

Na f**k this. I’ve just watched 2 interviews involving a Falkirk fan, the manager and a player. 
McGuffie thinks we played well?? We did absolutely f**k all. I’m sorry “twinkle toes” but that performance will never be acceptable. 
Rennie saw lots to build on?? I saw f**k all and the fact he is even talking about next season is terrifying. 
Lewis basically accepting a 2 nil defeat as a good result?? What is the fucking point.

A club full of fucking losers. Clear the lot. 

2 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Na f**k this. I’ve just watched 2 interviews involving a Falkirk fan, the manager and a player. 
McGuffie thinks we played well?? We did absolutely f**k all. I’m sorry “twinkle toes” but that performance will never be acceptable. 
Rennie saw lots to build on?? I saw f**k all and the fact he is even talking about next season is terrifying. 
Lewis basically accepting a 2 nil defeat as a good result?? What is the fucking point.

A club full of fucking losers. Clear the lot. 

Yeah we’ve just been resigned to not even making the playoffs in league 1 for a second year running and that interview sounded more like we’d just missed out on top 6 in the SPL and it was just a case of adding a few bits and pieces here and there.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the appointment of Paul Hartley. It was absolutely the right appointment at the time and he had a great record for us from January onwards in his first season.

That’s an incredibly generous assessment of Paul Hartley’s contribution. He benefited massively from Brechin being in the league. We were in 8th place when he came in and we finished the season in 8th place.

He came in, got nothing at all out of a squad that shouldn’t have been where it was.  He got a few decent results post January (the 6-1 win against Dundee United most notably, but that was an aberration).  But to say he had a ‘great record’ is just nonsense.

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

That’s an incredibly generous assessment of Paul Hartley’s contribution. He benefited massively from Brechin being in the league. We were in 8th place when he came in and we finished the season in 8th place.

He came in, got nothing at all out of a squad that shouldn’t have been where it was.  He got a few decent results post January (the 6-1 win against Dundee United most notably, but that was an aberration).  But to say he had a ‘great record’ is just nonsense.

We did finish 8th, and the big fear was Dumbarton who were sitting 9th. Thing is, we did finish above Dumbarton, but it wasn’t a close run thing. Pretty sure we finished 17 points ahead of them.

23 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Fair play lads, getting rid of Gary Holt has really solved all of your problems.

Going to take a long time to sort out the mess he's left us in. Guy is a first rate clown. Brad Mackay on a 3 year deal sums up his knowledge of football.

Another eye bleeding performance.  They did seem to try at least in the first half but the lack of quality is just mind blowing.  Not wasting 1 more minute on these wage thieves this season - my only positive for today is hopefully I will never see some of these players ever again.  On the squad on the pitch, we simply cannot continue with these charlatans next season - keeping even a handful of them will consign us to a relegation battle next season - worst team of my lifetime.

Mutch - chucking in a goal a week at least. Nowhere near good or strong enough - there is no way anyone is interested in him (re Falkirk TV comment) - BIN

Williamson - so weak in the air its frightening. The fact he doesnt go up for corners as our biggest player says it all. A weakling - BIN

Miller - I feel sorry for him.  M&M gave him a 2 year deal when he was already beyond finished.  Gladly never see him in a Falkirk strip ever again - BIN

Dixon - a player I have liked but his legs are gone - BIN

ATS - Not up to it - jogged around a lot today - not the player we thought we were getting - BIN

Telfer - Undeniably talented but has been as bad as the rest of them recently - too small and weak and easily brushed off ball - KEEP as a squad player

Hetherington - Actually the first game I didnt hate him - wasnt great but effort was there - still not good enough - BIN

Jacobs - Another player who looks done - BIN

McGuffie - out of position - player in there somewhere but dont see it enough - but would keep as a squad player - KEEP

Morrison - has done nothing since he returned from injury. I rate him but what has he given us this season - if we can get money for him Id take it - if not KEEP

Griffiths - gamble hasnt paid off.  Delivery still good but nowhere near fit - BIN

Nesbitt - started well but has tailed off at a frightening level - BIN

Kabia - has something but dont see enough of it - BIN

Malcolm - obviously cant judge him yet - KEEP

Holt - not going to waste my time on him - BIN

Wilson - just a shocking signing - to send Dowds away for this diddy is ridiculous - hopefully never gets another minute but 1 more year is a nightmare - BIN

Ross - waste of a wage - too small, too weak and not given much this season - BIN

McCann - thought he was going to be a fantastic signing - but we seem to have stripped away his attacking flair and are left with a tiny weak left back - would still KEEP - another manager might get something out of him

Lemon - Sorry has looked out of his depth - BIN

Off the rest of them, Id probably only keep Dowds and Watson.  What a position to be in.  We will be fighting relegation next season if we cant torpedo most of these appalling players.  I am just delighted I wont have another Saturday ruined until at least July.....

So, I presume 10 points is insurmountable Martin. I liked how Lewis gave him the question about “his position” but tail ended the question with an exit gate so he could just talk about “good conversations about players who want to play for us”.

Tripe.

Actually, what bugs me the most is that this “better performance” was based on putting a team on the park to try and prevent a hammering, but not win the game. It sticks in the craw that getting a third straight defeat at home is “competing” and a “better performance” because the opposition only scored two goals rather than three or four.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We did finish 8th, and the big fear was Dumbarton who were sitting 9th. Thing is, we did finish above Dumbarton, but it wasn’t a close run thing. Pretty sure we finished 17 points ahead of them.

We did finish in 8th place, but to say that was the result of a ‘great record’ on the part of Paul Hartley is imo spin worthy of Sheerin when we were in 8th place when he came in.

It was hardly an incredible achievement to take us from 8th place to 8th place, particularly when one of the worst teams ever to appear at that level was in the league, which gave us a guaranteed 12 points and effectively a head start in terms of league position.

6 minutes ago, JCBairn said:

Another eye bleeding performance.  They did seem to try at least in the first half but the lack of quality is just mind blowing.  Not wasting 1 more minute on these wage thieves this season - my only positive for today is hopefully I will never see some of these players ever again.  On the squad on the pitch, we simply cannot continue with these charlatans next season - keeping even a handful of them will consign us to a relegation battle next season - worst team of my lifetime.

Mutch - chucking in a goal a week at least. Nowhere near good or strong enough - there is no way anyone is interested in him (re Falkirk TV comment) - BIN

Williamson - so weak in the air its frightening. The fact he doesnt go up for corners as our biggest player says it all. A weakling - BIN

Miller - I feel sorry for him.  M&M gave him a 2 year deal when he was already beyond finished.  Gladly never see him in a Falkirk strip ever again - BIN

Dixon - a player I have liked but his legs are gone - BIN

ATS - Not up to it - jogged around a lot today - not the player we thought we were getting - BIN

Telfer - Undeniably talented but has been as bad as the rest of them recently - too small and weak and easily brushed off ball - KEEP as a squad player

Hetherington - Actually the first game I didnt hate him - wasnt great but effort was there - still not good enough - BIN

Jacobs - Another player who looks done - BIN

McGuffie - out of position - player in there somewhere but dont see it enough - but would keep as a squad player - KEEP

Morrison - has done nothing since he returned from injury. I rate him but what has he given us this season - if we can get money for him Id take it - if not KEEP

Griffiths - gamble hasnt paid off.  Delivery still good but nowhere near fit - BIN

Nesbitt - started well but has tailed off at a frightening level - BIN

Kabia - has something but dont see enough of it - BIN

Malcolm - obviously cant judge him yet - KEEP

Holt - not going to waste my time on him - BIN

Wilson - just a shocking signing - to send Dowds away for this diddy is ridiculous - hopefully never gets another minute but 1 more year is a nightmare - BIN

Ross - waste of a wage - too small, too weak and not given much this season - BIN

McCann - thought he was going to be a fantastic signing - but we seem to have stripped away his attacking flair and are left with a tiny weak left back - would still KEEP - another manager might get something out of him

Lemon - Sorry has looked out of his depth - BIN

Off the rest of them, Id probably only keep Dowds and Watson.  What a position to be in.  We will be fighting relegation next season if we cant torpedo most of these appalling players.  I am just delighted I wont have another Saturday ruined until at least July.....

Couple I’d disagree with in there. McCann for me is poor defensively and while that may be ok if the rest of the defence was secure, it’s no good at all otherwise.

Telfer will be at a higher level next year anyway but to say he’d be a squad player at this level is delusional. I’d be astonished if we could attract anyone with more ability.

Kabia, again I would happily keep. He clearly has a lot of ability and potential and could be an asset alongside a decent striker partner.

Lemon imo looked to have decent potential but was on a hiding to nothing playing alongside McKay and Hall and seemed to become a bit of a scapegoat. I’d keep him as a squad player or to go out on loan for another season.

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We did finish in 8th place, but to say that was the result of a ‘great record’ on the part of Paul Hartley is imo spin worthy of Sheerin when we were in 8th place when he came in.

It was hardly an incredible achievement to take us from 8th place to 8th place, particularly when one of the worst teams ever to appear at that level was in the league, which gave us a guaranteed 12 points and effectively a head start in terms of league position.

Wait a minute. Every team had four games against Brechin. When Hartley came in, hadn’t we just gone into the New Year with something like 14 points, and Hartley then went on to add 33(ish) points in the second half of the season?
By any standard, that wasn’t too shabby…….and yes, it gave us that game against DU. 

23 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So, I presume 10 points is insurmountable Martin. I liked how Lewis gave him the question about “his position” but tail ended the question with an exit gate so he could just talk about “good conversations about players who want to play for us”.

Tripe.

Actually, what bugs me the most is that this “better performance” was based on putting a team on the park to try and prevent a hammering, but not win the game. It sticks in the craw that getting a third straight defeat at home is “competing” and a “better performance” because the opposition only scored two goals rather than three or four.

And that's when the opposition were without their main striker due to injury, and who lost their other one (I refuse to count Leighton McIntosh) injured after 10 minutes.

Fucking frightening.

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Wait a minute. Every team had four games against Brechin. When Hartley came in, hadn’t we just gone into the New Year with something like 14 points, and Hartley then went on to add 33(ish) points in the second half of the season?
By any standard, that wasn’t too shabby…….and yes, it gave us that game against DU. 

Were we not 2nd or 3rd in terms of points gained after New Year? It's nonsense to suggest we did not improve.