The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Kabia's been a standout, argueably one of the best players in the league.

Griffiths was a gamble we simply just had to take or Jaime Wilson was our only option as a sub upfront.

Jacobs is a far better midfielder than Hetherington or Miller, I just think Rennie's mismanaged that one by constantly dropping him in and out of the team. He needed a consitent run of games.

Watson was again a case of we simply had to sign him as there wasn't anything else on the horizon. Again I don't think the 5 at the back suits him at all, especially having to play with Mckay on one side and ATS on the other.

ATS is a donkey so I'm not even going to try build a case for him.

Mills is an 18 year old who's still in my opinion streets ahead of Mckay & ATS and I'd happily have him back in amongst the squad next season.

No offence pal but this is genuinely mental.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

All of the players that Rennie signed have been better than those replaced, with the exception of ATS. He's been unlucky with injuries to Griffiths, Jacobs, Kabia and now Watson but he still hasn't manage to put a team on the park that even look remotely like succeeding.

And Mills now 

17 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He cannot lead a line. No pace whatsoever. I don’t doubt that if given the ball to feet in the box, he could score more goals than just about anyone else in the country.

Although not so far for us, he is still an amazing free kick taker and corner taker. He also has great vision for a pass.

You get the picture. In static situations, there’s no doubt he can be dangerous. However, his mobility has gone, which means he is a shadow of his former self. At 31, that’s an absolute sin.

Being a Hibby, is not a bit weird (and doubtless a freaky co-incidence) that so many talented players ending up as a waste of talent were involved with Hibs? You almost seem to have the copyright on them……Griffiths, O’Connor, Cummings, Riordan, Stokes.

Everything about what you say about Griffiths rings true.

He would be great if we played like American Football. Bring him on for Free Kicks, Corners and Penalties then take him off again.

In the summer when Hibs supporting idiots wanted him signed i looked at how many minutes of league football he had played for Celtic in the last 3 years and in not one season did he break 900 minutes which equates to less than 10 games in each of the last 3 seasons. 

As for the Riordan etc. What they all have in common is they are thick. It seems footballers can get away with all manner of unprofessional behaviour when they are young if they have great ability but at 28 years of age your body tells you to do one. Riordan was completely done at 28. Griffiths pretty much done at 28. Lack of mobility is the death knell for strikers.

Anyone trying to paint our January recruitment as anything but an absolute disaster has to be having a 🦒.  We needed a spine for the team  and we still don't have one. We needed a strong centrehalf that could organise. We got ATS who is dreadful , Watson who has never been that kind of player but would do ok alongside that type of player and an 18 year old laddie who was chucked into centre midfield for some ridiculous reason.  We needed a midfielder who was a leader and could put a decent tackle in. We got a crock who had hardly played for two years. Up front we got kabia who has done ok but lacks consistency , Griffith's whose best attribute now seems to be set pieces but the manager still has bloody telfer taking corners for some reason and dowds whose done ok but is also now crocked. These players may be a bit better than the utter dross they were supposed to replace but that's hardly saying much and they clearly aren't of the level we required even to get into the bloody playoffs in league one. It's been another utter shit show of a transfer window and has resulted in us still having to watch Mackay, hetherington and miller strut their stuff every weekend.

23 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I suppose the one service we have provided to Scottish football is showing up Sheerin and Holt for what they truly are, but at great cost to ourselves.

When I saw Holt appointed to that role at your club I wasn't sure what qualified him to do it.

Thought I must be missing something.

I could have seen him as the manager but not DoF.

As it stands he has you stuck with a lot of poor players for another season.

As ever other teams will be interested in the better players if they can afford to closely match their wages but the poorer players won't get such offers so will have to sit tight unless an agreement can be reached and that will compromise your budget for replacements. A vicous circle.

Edited by Unbiased Hibee

Kabia's been a standout, argueably one of the best players in the league.
Griffiths was a gamble we simply just had to take or Jaime Wilson was our only option as a sub upfront.
Jacobs is a far better midfielder than Hetherington or Miller, I just think Rennie's mismanaged that one by constantly dropping him in and out of the team. He needed a consitent run of games.
Watson was again a case of we simply had to sign him as there wasn't anything else on the horizon. Again I don't think the 5 at the back suits him at all, especially having to play with Mckay on one side and ATS on the other.
ATS is a donkey so I'm not even going to try build a case for him.
Mills is an 18 year old who's still in my opinion streets ahead of Mckay & ATS and I'd happily have him back in amongst the squad next season.

I disagree with quite a lot here.

Kabia has been one of the best signings that I definitely wouldn’t disagree with. But he’s had hair as many poor games as good ones. He was very, very good in his first couple of games and has not looked the same player since. He’s not remotely close to being one of the best players in the league.

Griffiths a signing we had to make? Come on man. We absolutely didn’t have to spend upwards of £1500 per week on one player, particularly one with massive fitness issues. That money would’ve been far better served either spread across a couple of players or saved for the summer. A massive gamble that hasn’t worked out. A bit like Rennie.

Is Jacobs really better than Miller and Hetherington? I don’t rate either in the slightest but I’ve seen nothing to suggest that a broken Jacobs is much of an upgrade.

Watson I was a very big fan of the first time around so I’ve no issues with that at all. I’m not in the know at all but I imagine we’re paying him a decent wage as he definitely would’ve had other offers.

Jevon Mills is absolutely fine. Very raw still, never a fucking midfielder, but looks much more comfortable in a back 4 and has been decent.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It wasn’t a leak. MR said it at the BTW meeting that he wanted a smaller squad of 15 to 18. Why he said 15, I do not know because you could very easily find yourself unable to fulfill fixtures.

Now him mentioning the next season wasn’t any sort of give away that he will still be here. I think every manager (no matter how shoogly the peg) will talk to future changes.

So if its 15 - 18 that's been decided then so has Full/Hybrid/Part time, next years budget and the manager has been decided.

Tell us ! it achieves nothing in not making it public.

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We absolutely did not have to take the gamble with Griffiths. This is revisionist bollocks 

It'll get paired up with this made up injury to justify the signing. "He was carrying a knock" etc etc

Every player Rennie signed injured = we'd have been class if they'd all stayed fit. You can spot it a mile off.

The Montrose game was the first for us that Kabia didn't spend a lot of the time on his back play acting for a foul.  Yes, he does have positive qualities and is worth a goal or 10 in a season though he has significant attitude problems which will hold him back. The same game saw my opinion of Griffiths plummet.  He took up Kabia's role of embarrassingly cheating to get a foul.   Being a terrible team is one thing, being a terrible team trying to cheat for free kicks is worse.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

49 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It'll get paired up with this made up injury to justify the signing. "He was carrying a knock" etc etc

Every player Rennie signed injured = we'd have been class if they'd all stayed fit. You can spot it a mile off.

Which goes a long way to  explain why they were available

3 hours ago, Unbiased Hibee said:

I am a Hibs fan but also a Scottish football fan of many years standing so it is sad to see how your club have struggled since the Houston years.  I hear a bit about what has gone on when listening to The Terrace podcast when they discuss the lower leagues and i feel your pain especially after reading the last 5 pages of this thread.

As you may have noticed we are struggling to score goals and predictably there were shouts pre season and mid season, from our more nostalgic and some might say dense supporters, for Leigh Griffiths to be brought 'home' to Hibs. 

I was of the opinion that he was finished as a top level player 3 seasons ago so hoped we wouldn't go near him. No sooner did Celtic give him a contract extention and Leigh messed up again and after 4 tough months on loan at Dundee he was predictably binned by Celtic in January and less predictably signed up by Falkirk in i presume a desperate bid to drive your promotion push.

From outside it looks like that has not worked out. Reading between the lines he has injury, fitness and weight issues which mean he is now a busted flush.

From what you have seen what level will Griffiths be playing at next season?

Does junior football beckon for him?

Problem is that it doesn't matter what level he goes to, a lack of fitness to play, for whatever reason, will render him unable to perform.

What are your thoughts on his performances for Falkirk? 

Griffiths won't be playing next season (for anyone) in my view.  

Trying to figure out where the Fck we go from here.

Trying to digest the last couple of pages of the utter shite/shambles we’re stuck with unless we can offload in significant numbers.

Throw in the manager and can see the club teetering on the abyss sooner than previously thought.

Serious cash injection needed is the only way out, anyone guess what comes next?

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Trying to figure out where the Fck we go from here.

Trying to digest the last couple of pages of the utter shite/shambles we’re stuck with unless we can offload in significant numbers.

Throw in the manager and can see the club teetering on the abyss sooner than previously thought.

Serious cash injection needed is the only way out, anyone guess what comes next?

Everything that has gone on since our relegation from the SPL ultimately boils down to the sustainability of the club.

All the facade of a professional outfit but behind the scenes corners have been cut and quick fixes applied on the promise of jam tomorrow - reaching the PL.

It's been death by a thousand cuts and even in the relative good times those in charge were "streamlining" and implementing futile plans to achieve more with less.

I won't rehash what's been said countless times on these pages (much) but fans in the main have played their part and swallowed it but were fast approaching a nadir. 

The latest BoD can't afford to waste our last competitive advantage and alienating the fans by retaining the management team.

I've said it already but while we need an absolute cull of arguably the worst squad of the last 50 years, we also need new dynamic leadership in the boardroom. 

Someone(s) to make us believe there is a way out of our sleepwalk to oblivion. 

The Rawlins seem to have changed little. What was their motivation? If it was taking a punt on the basis that we could quickly return to the top tier and share values would rocket , then that gamble has failed miserably. 

We need energy, loyalty, a determination to succeed from those custodians at the top. Ritchie, Alexander and all the other cohorts already gone oversaw the carnage. 

Surely to God, there must be competent entrepreneurs and successful businessmen out there capable of better... and who won't judge success purely on spreadsheets and fancy graphs. 

During the boardroom shenanigans in the 80s and 90s, there always seemed to be rumoured investors sitting in the shadows. Where are they today? Are we that much a basket case that you'd be a lunatic to even think of getting involved? 

For a club located in the industrial hub of the nation, we really have under achieved.