The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, FFC1965 said:

Another reason I believe that Rennie will get the gig for next season......

The BOD & Chief Exec know as well as the fans that FFC will be saddled with a significant number of players next season i.e. there probably isn't a signed player in the squad (bar Watson maybe?) who would  have been offered a new contract had their terms been due to expire on 31.05.22.   We cant afford to pay enough of them off and we don't even have a player to sell whose fee might be used to fund the departure of the army of duds.    

If the conclusion is that these players are effectively beyond redemption and unlikely to respond materially to even a fantastic new coach then there's little point in pursuing an expensive and potentially difficult managerial option on the time honoured basis that "you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear".   

I can see them reappointing Rennie for 22/23 tacitly accepting the likelihood of L1 in 23/24 and then clear the decks in May 23.     

Of course the counter argument is that poorer players need a better coach more than good ones but thats not how I see it going.  I could easily be wrong mind.

Rennie's appointment for 22/23 would presumably have one advantage of presumably being confirmed cheaply quickly and easily.   It has significant disadvantages of course and the above is just my view of how I think it will pan out - I believe he's failed significantly and the club should cut its losses and let him go at the expiry of his contract (actually no reason it couldn't be done or confirmed once we definitely cant be caught by Dumbarton - which could be as soon as this Saturday).     

ST sales for next season would no doubt suffer a bit if MR is reappointed but recent history suggests that FFC have a floor of around 1500 STs.    

I can’t see it tbh. The BOD and CEO know they have made a massive mistake in appointing Rennie and Miller. The league is going to be even more difficult next season as we will still have Airdrie or Montrose, at least one of Ayr, QoS and Dunfermline who all have recent experience of winning this league, a more than likely improved Queens Park and a confident Kelty. If we appoint Rennie and Miller I genuinely think 6th is the best we can hope for.

Guest FFC1965

Just checked the 2002/2003 season to remember "what a turnaround looks like".  

McCall brought in seven players at the start of the season who instantly featured in the 1st 11 ie Coyle, Ferguson, Henry, Hughes, Hagi, Samuel & Tosh. 

A stack of players who featured heavily the season before (Christie, Deuchar, Hogarth, Morris and an ageing Crunchie) left the club.  Stephen Craig lasted til January 2003 before leaving.   

Id love to see something similar again this close season, but I just don't see where the money is going to come from to make it happen. 

By the way, those 7 McCall signings - and add in Kerr, Mackenzie, Miller, McQuilken & Nicholls - what a team.  Up there with the Jefferies era.   

Just now, FFC1965 said:

Just checked the 2002/2003 season to remember "what a turnaround looks like".  

McCall brought in seven players at the start of the season who instantly featured in the 1st 11 ie Coyle, Ferguson, Henry, Hughes, Hagi, Samuel & Tosh. 

A stack of players who featured heavily the season before (Christie, Deuchar, Hogarth, Morris and an ageing Crunchie) left the club.  Stephen Craig lasted til January 2003 before leaving.   

Id love to see something similar again this close season, but I just don't see where the money is going to come from to make it happen. 

By the way, those 7 McCall signings - and add in Kerr, Mackenzie, Miller, McQuilken & Nicholls - what a team.  Up there with the Jefferies era.   

Didn't Henry initially join on loan under Totten, then go back to Killie and return permanently? He was fucking tremendous in his loan spell. Had it in my head he was a Totten signing. 

53 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Didn't Henry initially join on loan under Totten, then go back to Killie and return permanently? He was fucking tremendous in his loan spell. Had it in my head he was a Totten signing. 

Signed by Totten on loan from Kilmarnock towards the end of 1998. Massive impact.

Signed by Totten permanently from Kilmarnock in September 1999 the same week Moss was sold to Dunfermline. Totten allegedly had the choice of keeping Moss but took the money on offer from the Fifers to bring in Henry.

Signed by McCall on a free in the summer 2002 following Airdrie's demise.

8 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Signed by Totten on loan from Kilmarnock towards the end of 1998. Massive impact.

Signed by Totten permanently from Kilmarnock in September 1999 the same week Moss was sold to Dunfermline. Totten allegedly had the choice of keeping Moss but took the money on offer from the Fifers to bring in Henry.

Signed by McCall on a free in the summer 2002 following Airdrie's demise.

He looked like a fucking superstar in that loan spell. I can mind playing a computer game, possibly UEFA Striker, where I used to custom make a Falkirk team and make us fucking class... The only players name the in game commentary could recognise and say was Henry, which it pronounced like Thierry, it always tickled me. 

I'm very bored FYI. 

40 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Maybe says more about Dowds as he’s been “unavailable” for a few games now.

He could have played mind you if he’d had two legs he could run with TBF 

If it is an early indicator that MR is staying, then I will have to accept that the key reasons for keeping him have nothing to do with performances, man management or results. What that doesn’t cover, I do not know, but that (whatever it might be) is the deciding factor.

I will still get my ST (too old to be a rebel) and will sit on the sidelines watching whatever changes come to pass. It will be one of two outcomes……an upturn that none of us thought possible, or more WLDLDWLL. If it’s the former then happy days. If it’s the latter, he will be gone by Halloween, and once more, we pick up the pieces.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If it is an early indicator that MR is staying, then I will have to accept that the key reasons for keeping him have nothing to do with performances, man management or results. What that doesn’t cover, I do not know, but that (whatever it might be) is the deciding factor.

I will still get my ST (too old to be a rebel) and will sit on the sidelines watching whatever changes come to pass. It will be one of two outcomes……an upturn that none of us thought possible, or more WLDLDWLL. If it’s the former then happy days. If it’s the latter, he will be gone by Halloween, and once more, we pick up the pieces.

Good post 

I think Rennie will do better next season than he has this season. 

I also do not think he will do good enough to get us up. 

I have no REAL basis for either of these assessments, but there's much more evidence for the second than the first. 

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Rennie staying would obv be an awful decision. However, he won't be here past October/November anyway. Results will be very poor and he'd start the season with zero good will

I think this would depend on who was released and who was signed tbh, but again, thats not to say theres any indication he would get it right. 

5 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

On what basis could the BoD justify keeping Rennie, though? He's quite literally failed on everything you could possibly measure him on. 

What is this failure you speak of? He was brought in to reach the play offs but has managed to avoid relegation 🥴