The Falkirk FC Thread

Rennie only has himself to blame, just look at some of the results/ performances he has presided over: 

Falkirk 1 - 2 Clyde

Falkirk 1 - 1 Peterhead 

Clyde 1 - 1 Falkirk

Peterhead 1 - 0 Falkirk

That's 10 needlessly dropped points against poor teams, otherwise we'd be sitting comfortably in the play-offs. Even if we'd still been scudded by Airdrie, Cove etc there would be lots of talk of 'improvement' and he'd probably already have signed a contract for next season

If we're looking for a new manager at the end of the season, then there's no chance we're getting anyone experienced with a better track record than Wright.  Things didn't work out at Kilmarnock but he's shown at St Johnstone that he knows what he's doing.  If he applies then it's up to the board to judge how motivated he comes across at interview but on CV alone he'll be the strongest candidate.  

That said, I expect we'll give it to Rennie.  

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

No doubt I'll gather a few red dots for this, but this is the type of thing that really frustrates me.

Certain posters will just completely ignore the fact that the guy is carrying an injury and actually, IMO, hasn't been fully fit since he arrived. Instead they'll just jump on the opportunity to rubbish Jacobs, or Rennie, or both.

The bigger question IMO is, should he have been signed in the first place given the fact that he had been out for a long long time? I suspect that he was one of two or three midfielders that we hoped to get in rather than be the main man in the middle. Don't suppose we'll ever know?

I really don’t think people have to look hard for reasons to rubbish Rennie tbh- our results and performances are doing that for themselves.

Jacobs hadn’t played 90 minutes since February 2020 so it was hardly a shock that he wouldn’t be fully fit.

38 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Rennie only has himself to blame, just look at some of the results/ performances he has presided over: 

Falkirk 1 - 2 Clyde

Falkirk 1 - 1 Peterhead 

Clyde 1 - 1 Falkirk

Peterhead 1 - 0 Falkirk

That's 10 needlessly dropped points against poor teams, otherwise we'd be sitting comfortably in the play-offs. Even if we'd still been scudded by Airdrie, Cove etc there would be lots of talk of 'improvement' and he'd probably already have signed a contract for next season

We have only beaten the bottom two and turned up for a 2ndhalf against Alloa. If that's progress then padlock the gates for closure now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win another game this season and if Dowds is out for that period I'd say that looks more the case. I'm not suggesting Dowds is a superstar but he links our attacks, Griffiths is not able to do it against Dumbarton never mind the teams we still have to play.

I said long time ago we have zero shape and zero patterns of play, the first thing Rice would've have done is implement that at Alloa and has and got results with Sammon starting. We do have some average players or below average but when we don't have any idea on how we are to play then that only makes them look worse as some if them will move and do decent jobs elsewhere. 

The new bod really need to wave a magic wand for next season, I don't envy one bit their path forward but if it's Rennie that will be 500 or so off the season ticket purchase I'd guess.

1 hour ago, FFC1965 said:

If the BOD genuinely believed that Rennie was somebody who could get more out of the existing squad then it was a logical choice, albeit one that I believe has proven to be a mistake. 

The BOD sensibly gave themselves a get out clause by appointing MR for an initial 6 months.  In my line of work its fairly normal to try somebody out on a fixed term contract before you decide whether or not to offer them a permanent position (and they get to decide whether or not they want to stay).  It cuts both ways and a successful Rennie might by now have been courted by Championship teams but safe to say his name isnt on the lips of any Chairman of clubs sitting 26th or higher in Scotland.       

Looking on the bright side it appears that the club now has people involved who actually understand what a fixed term contract actually is (see the McKinnon / Morton fiasco for what happens when you don't understand how these things work).  

I get the impression that for the BOD Rennie is "their man" and as a result I expect they will let him have another throw of the dice for next season.   It'll be sold on the need for continuity and the fact that there's been too much of a revolving door at the club in recent years with the usual Falkirk Family / charity donations bollocks to try and guilt fans into renewing STs and Ive no doubt that enough (1,500+) will .

I might have made my mind up too soon, but as MR was heralded as the guy who would get more out of the existing & underperforming squad the reality is that he has not been a success, as evidenced by the WDL numbers that matter.  I accept that we might have been on an ever poorer trajectory under Sheerin but imho not materially.  If we cant get better than Rennie, we're screwed.    

Good post, I also think Rennie has got the gig for next season as hints in all interviews towards not really his team.
Spanner in the works  for both Rennie/BOD has been the poor recruiting, however can see this as being “got as good as it gets in the notoriously difficult transfer window” 

However the biggest worry for the BOD is that it appears Rennie has lost the dressing room. My opinion is that he lost the dressing room weeks ago.

I get the continuity thing as we’ve been abhorrent in manager/player recruitment.

Think the projected STs with the no doubt guilt factor, may actually be reciprocated negatively.

For me if it’s Rennie /Miller and more than half the current lot still here, watch the sale of STs fall off a cliff.

The general mood and feeling around the club is as bad as I can remember in over forty+ years.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

We have only beaten the bottom two and turned up for a 2ndhalf against Alloa. If that's progress then padlock the gates for closure now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win another game this season and if Dowds is out for that period I'd say that looks more the case. I'm not suggesting Dowds is a superstar but he links our attacks, Griffiths is not able to do it against Dumbarton never mind the teams we still have to play.

I said long time ago we have zero shape and zero patterns of play, the first thing Rice would've have done is implement that at Alloa and has and got results with Sammon starting. We do have some average players or below average but when we don't have any idea on how we are to play then that only makes them look worse as some if them will move and do decent jobs elsewhere. 

The new bod really need to wave a magic wand for next season, I don't envy one bit their path forward but if it's Rennie that will be 500 or so off the season ticket purchase I'd guess.

We will struggle to get 500 tops if the current incumbents are kept on

If the board want backing then they need a clear statement of intent to excite the fans & for me I would  offer McCall the opportunity to return on the back of unfinished business from 19 years ago - after Jeffries era the team of early noughties were the best to watch in past 30 years - cue reaction 

Guest Ecosse83
2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Due to our track record there will be a limited amount of managers interested and goodness knows if from that limited pool there will be an individual with the skill set or the quality to turn us round.

Tommy Wright would be a risk but so will any manager we take on. 

I don’t entirely agree with that. Any manager that rates themselves should see us as a great opportunity to get us going again and enhance their own reputation. 

There won’t be any shortage of applicants! 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I really don’t think people have to look hard for reasons to rubbish Rennie tbh- our results and performances are doing that for themselves.

Jacobs hadn’t played 90 minutes since February 2020 so it was hardly a shock that he wouldn’t be fully fit.

You're agreeing with me then? Cheers for that.

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The 5-1 win? 

I was at it. I'm not sure what's happening in terms of age groups, but from what I could see most of the players in that game came from last years Under 18s, which IMO were the weaker of the two groups. 

That is the one. 

With the greatest respect to Elgin, they had one sub who was a goalkeeper that they ended up playing as a winger for the last 15 minutes. That shouldn't be happening at academy level.

20 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I don’t entirely agree with that. Any manager that rates themselves should see us as a great opportunity to get us going again and enhance their own reputation. 

But that's the rub. Because you have a good conceit of yourself does not make you a good potential manager.  Most clubs looking for a manager at the end of the season have a better track record on player and manager selection and retention.

The wrecked reputations managing Falkirk will put people off - of course it will.

What's important is not the quantity of applicants but the quality.

Guest Ecosse83
4 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

But that's the rub. Because you have a good conceit of yourself does not make you a good potential manager.  Most clubs looking for a manager at the end of the season have a better track record on player and manager selection and retention.

The wrecked reputations managing Falkirk will put people off - of course it will.

What's important is not the quantity of applicants but the quality.

That’s down to the board to decide who is good enough for us from the list of applicants, of course there will always be applicants that you wouldn’t even think about hiring. 

We’ve had some pretty poor managers the last few years so someone who backs themselves shouldn’t worry about ‘wrecked reputations’ too much. 

The new BoD would be absolutely mad to keep Rennie on. In order to rebuild trust, they are going to have to be totally transparent; the second it is mathematically confirmed that we cannot reach the play-offs and our season is officially over, they should be making it clear that Rennie and Miller will leave upon the expiration of their contracts and that the search for a new manager will begin immediately. 

2 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

The new BoD would be absolutely mad to keep Rennie on. In order to rebuild trust, they are going to have to be totally transparent; the second it is mathematically confirmed that we cannot reach the play-offs and our season is officially over, they should be making it clear that Rennie and Miller will leave upon the expiration of their contracts and that the search for a new manager will begin immediately. 

If they have any nous they will have already started the process.

I know the website won’t be seen as high on the list of priorities, but someone needs to take a grip of it. It still asks people to get in touch with Kieran Koszary.

Even the simplest of summaries of last week gets it wrong. Peterhead scored after 36 minutes……..it’s there on the FFC site, so why does someone make up guff like this? I think the BoD are so stretched by so many things, no-one takes ownership of anything further down the priority list now.

“After a solid win in Dumbarton, The Bairns looked to start a winning run but Peterhead’s Jack Brown had other ideas as his rebounded shot with 15 minutes left to play was enough to earn his side the win.”

The Gods are fixing to send a thunderbolt our way on Saturday. Despite league positions, despite form, despite what any form of logic says, we will go out and beat Montrose.

That will then be “the first green shoots of recovery“ confirmed, a corner turned, we are on our way. The FFC juggernaut……sorry, the FFC 76 plate Ford Transit is back in the game, and it would madness to stop the project now.

You read it here first. Mystic Mug has spoken (well, technically typed, but you get the idea).

4 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

The applicants maybe decent in numbers but it's very much roll the dice if the ones away from the merry go round if they are decent.

Sheerin getting the job was another left field appointment like Rennie. I have repeatedly said I don't envy the decision makers decision to appoint the next manager, which needs to be a magic wand appointment or we are part time/half a dozen full-time players following season

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Good post, I also think Rennie has got the gig for next season as hints in all interviews towards not really his team.
Spanner in the works  for both Rennie/BOD has been the poor recruiting, however can see this as being “got as good as it gets in the notoriously difficult transfer window” 

However the biggest worry for the BOD is that it appears Rennie has lost the dressing room. My opinion is that he lost the dressing room weeks ago.

I get the continuity thing as we’ve been abhorrent in manager/player recruitment.

Think the projected STs with the no doubt guilt factor, may actually be reciprocated negatively.

For me if it’s Rennie /Miller and more than half the current lot still here, watch the sale of STs fall off a cliff.

The general mood and feeling around the club is as bad as I can remember in over forty+ years.

I disagree, the BoD are supporters just like us, they are watching the same inept performances as we are and will no dount be just as disappointed at not only the poor performances but the lack of results.

The appointment of rennie was absurd from the off, but they must have had some romantic notion that the former ballboy would be our saviour, at least though his contract expires at the end of season, I fully expect him to be emptied, there is literally no reason why he'd be kept on.

Where the doubt arises is due to BPM still backing him, who obviously has a hotline to the BoD, but that is purely his opinion, which he is entitled to and its totally fine. I just need to appreciate that his opinion is not the BoDs and I reckon collectively they'll make the sensible call on this and send rennie on his way.