The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83

It’s a bit harsh to criticise the new guys running the club they have barely got their feet under the table. They have played a blinder only giving Rennie a 6 month deal it means they can just part ways in the summer without any pay offs etc 

The decision of who they appoint in the summer will be the most important decision they will probably ever have to make, it simply has to be right and fingers crossed they nail it. 

Edited by Ecosse83

38 minutes ago, brokeville said:

I’d like to share your optimism but the early signs are not good. From what I can see the investment from the patrons has been spent on a gamble this season that’s clearly not worked. No idea where the money will come from for next season. Without doubt season ticket sales are about to plummet to levels not seen for years. The decline is terminal.

Decline is serious but certainly not terminal.

Worst possible time to turn your back on the club when every penny is needed.

Decline is serious but certainly not terminal.
Worst possible time to turn your back on the club when every penny is needed.

The strain on peoples income with the huge increase in energy/fuel costs as well as Falkirk Council’s 4% council tax rise will ultimately mean many supporters will not be able to afford a season ticket. Success will always help with that argument, not an issue just now. So the choice is simple heat, food, fuel or a season ticket. That’s the reality of the current situation.

3 minutes ago, brokeville said:

The strain on peoples income with the huge increase in energy/fuel costs as well as Falkirk Council’s 4% council tax rise will ultimately mean many supporters will not be able to afford a season ticket. Success will always help with that argument, not an issue just now. So the choice is simple heat, food, fuel or a season ticket. That’s the reality of the current situation.

Absolutely get that which is why it’s so important that as many of the support that do have the means to renew do so even if it’s done reluctantly.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

The fan ownership model is in its absolute infancy, with nowhere near the amount of shares it set out to get. What impact did folk expect from it weeks after it began exactly?

I’m actually a little disappointed in the uptake with FSS, I know it’s still growing but I honestly felt by now we’d have closer to the 1000 who pledged to join the initial scheme, that in itself would not only be providing massive additional income but would get the group that much closer quicker to its 26% target shareholding. Clubs like Morton who run similar fan models have more than double our numbers. 

20 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m actually a little disappointed in the uptake with FSS, I know it’s still growing but I honestly felt by now we’d have closer to the 1000 who pledged to join the initial scheme, that in itself would not only be providing massive additional income but would get the group that much closer quicker to its 26% target shareholding. Clubs like Morton who run similar fan models have more than double our numbers. 

House hold finances and rightly people are making that their priority. Therefore hospitality and leisure activities are going to be the first to be cut back.

The ordinary fans can't turn this around on their own. Yes, ST money provides working capital but we're at a level where gate money is the main source of income. 

There's no TV money, limited hospitality drawings, lowered sponsorship - all factors that mean it will be impossible in the long run to justify an operating model more suited to an upper championship/lower premiership club. 

There has to be external funding. Those custodians sitting with sizeable share holdings need to quite simply sell up, at a hugely reduced rate, or gift their influence to others before there's no club left! 

3 minutes ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

The ordinary fans can't turn this around on their own. Yes, ST money provides working capital but we're at a level where gate money is the main source of income. 

There's no TV money, limited hospitality drawings, lowered sponsorship - all factors that mean it will be impossible in the long run to justify an operating model more suited to an upper championship/lower premiership club. 

There has to be external funding. Those custodians sitting with sizeable share holdings need to quite simply sell up, at a hugely reduced rate, or gift their influence to others before there's no club left! 

Unfortunately even if the fans support the club in significant numbers with STs, the club will need external funding if what’s being reported that we’ve no money. The FSS low uptake in membership is more likely to be that fans are just about had it, years of absolute shite in both the playing side and the boards who have just about destroyed the club.

26 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Unfortunately even if the fans support the club in significant numbers with STs, the club will need external funding if what’s being reported that we’ve no money. The FSS low uptake in membership is more likely to be that fans are just about had it, years of absolute shite in both the playing side and the boards who have just about destroyed the club.

Chicken and egg. If they don’t back the scheme it won’t get any better but you can understand why they are not backing it. We are in a vortex

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Chicken and egg. If they don’t back the scheme it won’t get any better but you can understand why they are not backing it. We are in a vortex

Spot on, some very difficult times and really hoping that the BOD can pull out a rabbit(s) out the bag.

For me emptying the current dross would send out a very credible message to get the fans onboard with both STs & FSS uptake (yes I know how difficult this will be)

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Spot on, some very difficult times and really hoping that the BOD can pull out a rabbit(s) out the bag.

For me emptying the current dross would send out a very credible message to get the fans onboard with both STs & FSS uptake (yes I know how difficult this will be)

You just can’t cancel contracts sadly. Whoever is managing the team next year needs to deal with this issue 

15 hours ago, FernandosMonobrow said:

We're in a poor league, and he's had the luxury of being able to bring in 6 f/t players (one on a wild wage) as well as getting Dowds back from Arbroath. Any moderately decent manager should at least be able to make us competitive with the right signings, look at Partick last season(although a slightly different scenario.) For all we scream the current crop of players are hopeless, as someone said a few pages back if we released everyone I bet a good number of those players would end up at teams above us.  

I think thats 14 league games, in 3 months, and Rennies yet to have consecutive wins. Anyone even trying to defend that, is at it.

The Partick example is an excellent comparison. They were honking in the first half of last season, signed Spittal, Tiffony, McDaid & McIvor (all on loan) and got Rudden fit and off they went. For reference when Sheerin was sacked we were 9 points behind Cove and Partick were 7 behind us last season, both after 16 games.

A few quality signings in the right areas without even breaking the bank can make a huge difference at this level. Rennie failed to strengthen the midfield despite having the luxury of 7 new players in the squad and for that reason he has failed hopelessly.

Despite having a better team on paper, he is getting no more out of them than Sheerin could - partially because he still insists on playing 3 of the worst players in the whole squad (McKay, Miller & Hetherington) most weeks and we can't even do the basics right, like STILL bringing everyone back for corners and freekicks. For the cash he has been given the return on the park has been absolutely shocking

Guest Ecosse83
22 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You just can’t cancel contracts sadly. Whoever is managing the team next year needs to deal with this issue 

Hopefully can get a few punted out on loan although not sure who would want to take them. 

Im hoping Holt hasn’t completely sabotaged us (it feels like sabotage) and there are a few clauses in these contracts that will benefit us! 

23 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Hopefully can get a few punted out on loan although not sure who would want to take them. 

Im hoping Holt hasn’t completely sabotaged us (it feels like sabotage) and there are a few clauses in these contracts that will benefit us! 

Do you think we might have some sell on clauses? 😬

I've noticed BPM saying a couple of times now, that your new board are sorting out a helluva mess left behind by the previous board, and that the mess left behind is worse than first thought, etc. etc.

Given that behind the scenes has allegedly been such a shambles, leading to on pitch mismanagement too (multi year contracts in L1 is wild), would it be fair to say that going up this season may have actually been detrimental? I know there's light years of difference between the clubs, but Brechin being promoted to the Championship in 20(17?) turned into a disaster for them.    

27 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

There are no such clauses. The question was asked at the FSS meeting in Elliots last week and one of the directors confirmed it. 

Interestingly , Rennie said that in his experience once you tell a player that he's not wanted and will be sitting in the stand every week for a year or two, many of them choose to move on for the sake of their careers. How many of the current squad would do that obviously remains to be seen. 

I'd speculate that those most likely to dig their heels in would be older players who's careers are coming to an end. Of those under contract for next season and beyond, almost all of them are in their early or mid twenties. 

Guest Ecosse83
21 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Do you think we might have some sell on clauses? 😬

😂😂 somehow I don’t think so, hopefully some sort of no promotion stuff in there although I kinda know that won’t be the case 

When you look through the list of the players under contract for next season I'd want binned in the summer (or right now if possible) it isn't actually as bad as first feared:

Luke Holt

Brad McKay

Steven Hetherington

Seb Ross

Aidan Nesbitt

Jamie Wilson

Unless I've missed anyone? The other players still under contract (Williamson, Watson, McCann, McGuffie & Morrison) I'd keep or would be easy to move on

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

When you look through the list of the players under contract for next season I'd want binned in the summer (or right now if possible) it isn't actually as bad as first feared:
Luke Holt
Brad McKay
Steven Hetherington
Seb Ross
Aidan Nesbitt
Jamie Wilson
Unless I've missed anyone? The other players still under contract (Williamson, Watson, McCann, McGuffie & Morrison) I'd keep or would be easy to move on

Brad McKay is the elephant in that room. You have to imagine Holt probably wants out and will be on buttons. Similarly, Ross and Wilson. I doubt it's huge money to reach a deal with these two.

Hetherington probably would get a Club, maybe back to Alloa to no doubt show up next season and boot f**k out of whoever is shambling about our midfield....

Nesbitt you might argue could be kept in a functioning squad but I guess you need your manager to sit down with him and have a chat about expectations. He's too lightweight for me and flatters to deceive too much. Simply not enough killer instinct on show but equally, if he wanted to go he would get a club.

Brad McKay tho [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] He would be off his head not to sit out this deal unless paid in full.