The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts

Reading back all of the positivity on here in recent days regarding nostalgia of days past, it’s such ashame to bring this back to reality but the bottom line is Rennie isn’t good enough. 

I feel for him, I really do. He’s one of us, a local lad who grew up supporting the team and who found himself in a position to manage the club. It could have been a great story but it’s just not working.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I feel giving him the summer to properly build his own side would be the fairest way to judge him. Pragmatically however you have to look at what has happened and think his impact would have been better. 

You jumped down my throat for suggesting I was prepared to give Sheerin a little more time up until his last couple of results so I find it astonishing that you can now say you’d be happy to keep Rennie on till next season when he’s performing worse than his predecessor. 

Are we now seriously getting in to the realms of Rennie was given the near impossible task of achieving better results than Paul Sheerin? 

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

The thing is, it doesn’t take a Klopp to win this league. Look at some of the managers that have built a team to win this division in the past. The quality of the teams are, on the whole, pretty poor. With the resources we have (yes, resources are very important), it really shouldn’t take a tactical genius to build a Falkirk side that either wins League One, or at the very least challenges for the title.

I think we obviously are in a bad place now, but I don’t buy the argument that it will take years to turn it around. We just keep appointing diddies who make a complete arse of it.

In two of our three years in this league, it looks like we won’t even reach the play-offs. It’s fucking criminal. 

I get it. Your choice is then? 

The  board will realise what they do in the next few weeks - Structure - Budget - Full time/Hybrid/Part time - Manager together with the job description - Length of contract - Squad size - will dictate the future or even the existence of the Football Club.

Its a thankless task as everything listed is linked and a decision on one effect the others. The sooner we know the better as all we have is opinion and wish lists.

The Board should be putting the finish touches to the business plan and the sooner they make it public the better.

Would a manager and players of the standard required would want anything to do with us ? I doubt it so whatever is presented had better be good.

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The  board will realise what they do in the next few weeks - Structure - Budget - Full time/Hybrid/Part time - Manager together with the job description - Length of contract - Squad size - will dictate the future or even the existence of the Football Club.

Its a thankless task as everything listed is linked and a decision on one effect the others. The sooner we know the better as all we have is opinion and wish lists.

The Board should be putting the finish touches to the business plan and the sooner they make it public the better.

Would a manager and players of the standard required would want anything to do with us ? I doubt it so whatever is presented had better be good.

I agree with this and I also think everything manager and structure wise has to be sorted before ST’s go on sale. I know there is no way the squad is going to be completed by then but if the board try to flog ST’s with question marks hanging over the managerial position and whether we are going to be full time, part time or hybrid it will be a hard sell for them convincing the fans to back them. We need clarity before then.

13 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

This was the vaguely realistic list I drew up

Jim Mcintyre

John Mcglynn 

Tommy Wright 

Allan Johnstone 

Peter Houston (would be ever come back? Probably not)

Darren Young 

Danny Lennon 

Jim Duffy

Ian Murray (probably would never come) 

Guest Ecosse83
27 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Love how this question is being fired out for the posters that don’t want Rennie, it’s not our job to select a new manager. There will be quite a list of applicants and it will be the guys in the board that selects a new manager not us 

Edited by Ecosse83

Guest Ecosse83
4 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

The arguments for keeping Rennie seem to be it’s all Sheerins fault, who else would you appoint, he’s coached in the MLS and he doesn’t tell anyone who’s out injured.

Frightening stuff. 

Don’t forget Rennie saving us from relegation even though his record is worse than Sheerin 😂🤯

28 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

The arguments for keeping Rennie seem to be it’s all Sheerins fault, who else would you appoint, he’s coached in the MLS and he doesn’t tell anyone who’s out injured.

Frightening stuff. 

Don't forget "we can't get rid of him because we got rid of Sheerin" which seems to be the favoured logic of the Facebook Fans 

18 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Don’t forget Rennie saving us from relegation even though his record is worse than Sheerin 😂🤯

Cmon we have beat the worst side in the league twice, scraped by the bottom side twice and turned up a 2nd half to beat Alloa, what's not to like ?

Would it surprise anyone if we didn't win another game this season ?

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Cmon we have beat the worst side in the league twice, scraped by the bottom side twice and turned up a 2nd half to beat Alloa, what's not to like ?

Would it surprise anyone if we didn't win another game this season ?

Wouldn’t be surprised if we “do a 2021” and just crumble away, picking up at most a point or 2. Players know they won’t be here, management probably do too 

I'm aware there's been almost 20 pages of posts and I don't have time (or energy) to read through them all! 

I've no doubt that there are talks on here discussing the manager and if he should be kept or not, I responded (more in annoyance than anything else) to a post on Facebook, and thought I'd share my thoughts here:

Can we judge someone on a 6 month deal with the squad he inherited?  Yes he had a transfer window, but as everyone knows, than January window is incredibly difficult, especially with teams now keeping larger squads due to covid precautions.  I think he needs to have a chance after a proper pre season and transfer window - it hasn't been great since he came in, but he has a good CV, his hands are tied behind his back with the tools he has at his disposal, I still think our current predicament is due to Mr Holt and his shambolic team - we cant just keep changing managers and let's face it, nobody worth their salt will want to come to us.  Rennie has a good record of turning things around, I don't think we can judge him because what he's inherited doesn't suit what he wants to do.  Anyone that listened to his Spiers interview can hear that he has an ambition and a plan, this takes time and I think we should give him at least a season, it can hardly get any worse.

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, some_guy said:

I'm aware there's been almost 20 pages of posts and I don't have time (or energy) to read through them all! 

I've no doubt that there are talks on here discussing the manager and if he should be kept or not, I responded (more in annoyance than anything else) to a post on Facebook, and thought I'd share my thoughts here:

Can we judge someone on a 6 month deal with the squad he inherited?  Yes he had a transfer window, but as everyone knows, than January window is incredibly difficult, especially with teams now keeping larger squads due to covid precautions.  I think he needs to have a chance after a proper pre season and transfer window - it hasn't been great since he came in, but he has a good CV, his hands are tied behind his back with the tools he has at his disposal, I still think our current predicament is due to Mr Holt and his shambolic team - we cant just keep changing managers and let's face it, nobody worth their salt will want to come to us.  Rennie has a good record of turning things around, I don't think we can judge him because what he's inherited doesn't suit what he wants to do.  Anyone that listened to his Spiers interview can hear that he has an ambition and a plan, this takes time and I think we should give him at least a season, it can hardly get any worse.

Anyone who has anything about them would love to come to us, great opportunity to turn us around! 

Rennie was involved with a woman’s team in his last job, hardly a great CV 😂

15 minutes ago, some_guy said:

f**k right off with this shit.

Opinions like this are why we are in the shitter. Folk persevering with obviously shit managers who show absolutely no sign of being even semi competent.

14 minutes ago, some_guy said:

What have you seen in the last 3 months in terms of style of play, tactics, general performances etc that makes you believe he should be retained?