The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, 1876 ffc said:

Seems fairly obvious.

You will be able to point it out then. Good to see you are back as soon as we lose. Enjoying it clearly 

Despite being Scottish, one of the things that might be battering Rennie is the Scottish temperament itself. I have worked in the USofA, and they have indeed a “can do” mentality, and in football (although it’s now changed significantly), they had a pretty reverential view towards coaches from Europe…..very keen to implement a coach’s ideas and systems.

Have not worked in S Korea, but did work in Indonesia, and the respect for management & elders is incredibly strong as is the desire to do what is asked of them. Other aspects of business can turn into dumpster fires though.

I think Scotland is a much more difficult nut to crack, and with some elder players possibly even more resistant to a manager with no medals to show.

Of course, you would think Kenny Miller’s presence would kill any resistance…….

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Despite being Scottish, one of the things that might be battering Rennie is the Scottish temperament itself. I have worked in the USofA, and they have indeed a “can do” mentality, and in football (although it’s now changed significantly), they had a pretty reverential view towards coaches from Europe…..very keen to implement a coach’s ideas and systems.

Have not worked in S Korea, but did work in Indonesia, and the respect for management & elders is incredibly strong as is the desire to do what is asked of them. Other aspects of business can turn into dumpster fires though.

I think Scotland is a much more difficult nut to crack, and with some elder players possibly even more resistant to a manager with no medals to show.

Of course, you would think Kenny Miller’s presence would kill any resistance…….

AFE62DEF-A794-4457-B13B-AA254C79796E.jpeg.cc6bd2fbbd0163d623ad774965e2fdda.jpeg

Rennie nice guy but as I said weeks ago the seasons over and we need to start searching for a new manager and players.

I would try and sell Jack Ross a project and get him in. I dont think he’s beyond reach.

In any event, we need to start looking now and get a new manager in by the end of April!!

14 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You will be able to point it out then. Good to see you are back as soon as we lose. Enjoying it clearly 

Seriously. If I only showed up after bad results I’d be omnipresent under your pals tenure.

Regarding the ‘caveats’ the poster was only pointing out that, hopefully, there are conditions written in to some of the contracts agreed by the previous incumbents that will allow inexpensive termination.

Honest question, as I do believe we both want the team to succeed, can we afford to extend the Rennie experiment?

9 minutes ago, BudBairn said:

I would try and sell Jack Ross a project and get him in. I dont think he’s beyond reach.

Yes, hes rejected approaches from St Mirren, Dundee, and Queens Park, in the last month, but a floundering mid-table League One Falkirk side is the one that will get him giving up his Hibs mega wage.

Guest Ecosse83

Didn’t see the game today but read a lot of the comments tonight. From what I can read and admittedly I’m drunk a lot of the criticism of the manager seems to be taken as criticism of the board, surely the 2 can be separated? Just because the manager is being criticised surely that doesn’t instantly mean that the new board is being tagged in with that? 

4 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Didn’t see the game today but read a lot of the comments tonight. From what I can read and admittedly I’m drunk a lot of the criticism of the manager seems to be taken as criticism of the board, surely the 2 can be separated? Just because the manager is being criticised surely that doesn’t instantly mean that the new board is being tagged in with that? 

I think the issue is that it appears anyone with any connection to the board can’t seem to accept that Rennie has been abysmal. 

We are fast heading towards one of the most critical decisions the club will ever make. 

New manager absolutely needed... Inadequate squad gotten rid of... Injection of substantial funds desperately required. 

Can the current BOD deliver all three? I'm very dubious. 

With the division becoming stronger next season, I really fear for the future as this is as bad as its EVER been. We are currently in our longest spell outside the top tier in our history. 

This all stems from stubborn obdurate board members not deserting the sinking ship that they captained. 

4 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Rennie's appointment in mid-December was generally met with a positive reaction. The 6-month contract was viewed as a sensible decision which minimised the risk to the club if things did not work out. He was given a budget in January that outstripped, by a huge margin, any other manager in this league and the majority in the division above. There's nothing in any of that to criticise the board for. It's obviously been a disastrous appointment, but that is with the benefit of hindsight. No-one could realistically have conceived after the 6-0 abomination at Firhill that we would be replacing Sheerin with someone even less suited to the role. But here we are.

Where they will deserve plenty of criticism is if, in the face of all available evidence, they decide to retain the management team regardless, when it's screamingly obvious they are not cut out for it. They'll have completely wasted the advantage that the short-term contract gave them. I think a lot of fans are also getting pissed-off at the (not-so) subtle shifting of the goalposts, whereby a manager recruited on a 6-month deal is now apparently tasked with a "long-term turnaround project", which strangely enough is only being referenced after it has become clear that he is spectacularly incapable of beating anyone other than Dumbarton or East Fife. The ridiculous spin of one or two on here does not help that perception. They are fooling no-one.

The search for a new management team needs to begin immediately.

👏

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Rennie's appointment in mid-December was generally met with a positive reaction. The 6-month contract was viewed as a sensible decision which minimised the risk to the club if things did not work out. He was given a budget in January that outstripped, by a huge margin, any other manager in this league and the majority in the division above. There's nothing in any of that to criticise the board for. It's obviously been a disastrous appointment, but that is with the benefit of hindsight. No-one could realistically have conceived after the 6-0 abomination at Firhill that we would be replacing Sheerin with someone even less suited to the role. But here we are.

Where they will deserve plenty of criticism is if, in the face of all available evidence, they decide to retain the management team regardless, when it's screamingly obvious they are not cut out for it. They'll have completely wasted the advantage that the short-term contract gave them. I think a lot of fans are also getting pissed-off at the (not-so) subtle shifting of the goalposts, whereby a manager recruited on a 6-month deal is now apparently tasked with a "long-term turnaround project", which strangely enough is only being referenced after it has become clear that he is spectacularly incapable of beating anyone other than Dumbarton or East Fife. The ridiculous spin of one or two on here does not help that perception. They are fooling no-one.

The search for a new management team needs to begin immediately.

They can’t be criticised for appointing him but if they extend his stay then they can be! 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, hes rejected approaches from St Mirren, Dundee, and Queens Park, in the last month, but a floundering mid-table League One Falkirk side is the one that will get him giving up his Hibs mega wage.

Superb sarcasm. Lol.  That really has made me chuckle.  

Falkirk seem to lack stability, and I think that reason for that is that you seem to have sacked more managers than Alan Sugar has apprentices.  The mismanagement of handing people like Brad McKay 3 year contracts will take a long time to correct.  It will take time to flush out the garbage antics of people like Gary Deans and Gary Holt.  I doubt that Jurgen Klopp could turn this around as quickly as a lot of Falkirk fans would wish.  

The expectations of Falkirk fans seem to outstrip any practical way forward for your board just now, and it may well be that Martin Rennie needs at least a season to build his own squad and sort things out.  It is not his fault that he has been landed with players like Brad McKay, who would be a bombscare in a back 10, and Steve Hetherington.  I get the frustration, but there are no entitlements in any football league, and not least this one.  With the budget and resources, you should be playing at a higher lever.  That might take more time than you would wish, but trust the new board to get the club on an even keel.  

So more realistic expectations, and dump the big club entitlement issues.  Accept that for another season at least you will be playing diddy clubs like Clyde.  Let the Board and Management team build from the bottom up.  

However, how long can the club continue as a full time club in the seaside league?  It may be that you need to go part time or hybrid to stabilise the finances.  

5 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Superb sarcasm. Lol.  That really has made me chuckle.  

Falkirk seem to lack stability, and I think that reason for that is that you seem to have sacked more managers than Alan Sugar has apprentices.  The mismanagement of handing people like Brad McKay 3 year contracts will take a long time to correct.  It will take time to flush out the garbage antics of people like Gary Deans and Gary Holt.  I doubt that Jurgen Klopp could turn this around as quickly as a lot of Falkirk fans would wish.  

The expectations of Falkirk fans seem to outstrip any practical way forward for your board just now, and it may well be that Martin Rennie needs at least a season to build his own squad and sort things out.  It is not his fault that he has been landed with players like Brad McKay, who would be a bombscare in a back 10, and Steve Hetherington.  I get the frustration, but there are no entitlements in any football league, and not least this one.  With the budget and resources, you should be playing at a higher lever.  That might take more time than you would wish, but trust the new board to get the club on an even keel.  

So more realistic expectations, and dump the big club entitlement issues.  Accept that for another season at least you will be playing diddy clubs like Clyde.  Let the Board and Management team build from the bottom up.  

However, how long can the club continue as a full time club in the seaside league?  It may be that you need to go part time or hybrid to stabilise the finances.  

Far too sensible for this place.

Ffs. Absolutely no-one expected Rennie to completely 'turn things around' in six months. You'd think Falkirk fans had expectations that he'd come in and go unbeaten for the rest of the season to win the league the way some folk are going on on here. The position the club is in is not a quick fix - everyone is aware of this, it's hard not to be.

However, Sheerin was sacked after 16 league games; we sat 4th, 3 points off 4th and 9 points off 1st. By the time Rennie came in after 17 games, we were 12 points off 1st and 4 points off 4th. Undoubtedly a very poor position to be in, but far from unsalvageable, given over half the season was left to play. Indeed, the reason Sheerin was booted was to bring someone in to try to 'salvage' the season. Rennie came in in December, when reaching the play-offs was more than achievable. As others have said, he was appointed on six-month deal, not to fix every single ill at the club, but to get an immediate reaction out of the players. He has brought in some of his own players (including someone on what will likely be the highest wage we've had in years) and also benefited from the return of Dowds. Despite this, from being 12 points off 1st when Rennie came in, it's now 26 points. Queen's Park have also been incredibly inconsistent and there for the taking by any half-competent team, but we've never even looked like overtaking them, and It's highly unlikely we're even going to make the play-offs. Performances have arguably been worse than under Cones (which is a disgrace in itself), and even the teams that he managed to beat (eg. Peterhead, Clyde) are now turning us over.

Whatever metric you measure Rennie on, he has failed miserably. I've said it 1000000x times and I'll keep repeating it until people get it - 'stability' isn't an argument to keep someone who obviously isn't up to it. To even be considering the prospect of keeping him on is lunacy, despite the campaign that one or two on here will continue to propagate in his favour.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We could do it if we put the club into administration. It’s been used as a business tool twice by both Dundee and Livingston.

That is unthinkable though.

And at Motherwell under the despicable John Boyle