The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Some of us might have a wee conceit that we can play a bit, but when you come up against someone from any sort of level, it's frightening.

My PE teacher and football coach at school was Caledonian (et al) full back Derek Dewar. A run-of-the-mill to decent Highland League player. But Christ, he was made of absolute steel. Never a ball playing defender, but he used to rip the piss out of our (U18) team even in training.

The story of Gus Caesar as related by Nick Hornby is a vivid one, and I'd recommend it (and Fever Pitch as a whole) to anyone.

In my time at Denny High our PE teacher was Frank Coulson, League Cup winner with Partick and coach at Falkirk.

Competitive as hell in the PE matches and loved his football.

I vividly remember setting him up for a goal and his delighted shout of ‘what a ball son!’ as he blootered it between the sticks.

Easily the highlight of my footballing efforts!

Edited by Reggie Perrin

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

When you play football with or against an ex pro you soon find out they operate at a different level.

Its an education all right. 

A good mate of mine, who sadly passed away a couple of years back, was head and shoulders above me and most of my mates when it came to fives. He played for Glasgow Uni back in the day and if he wanted to he could beat us all several times and then score all manner of goals. Thankfully he treated our games as the laugh they were intended to be and didn't embarrass us, as he could have easily. He was a great guy, sadly missed.

Anyway, a good few years ago he was asked to fill in at a game of fives in which none other than Pedro Moutinho happened to be playing. He told us that playing against Pedro was the most futile thing he'd ever done. Pedro could keep the ball, do whatever he wanted with it, score any kind of goal, you name it. No-one could get the ball off him.

This was a guy who was head and shoulders above me and all the rest of my mates who was playing against an ex-pro who was an order of magnitude better than him. And Pedro wasn't even anywhere near an elite level ex-pro.

A different world.

Guest Ecosse83

I remember our high school had a sports day and a few Falkirk players attended. One of them was David Hagen, it was bloody scary how fast and skilful he was, couldn’t even get near him never mind attempt a tackle! 

4 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Next one is Saturday 2nd April @ 1730 in Behind the Goals - After the Montrose game.

Now that is potentially very bold.

2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I remember our high school had a sports day and a few Falkirk players attended. One of them was David Hagen, it was bloody scary how fast and skilful he was, couldn’t even get near him never mind attempt a tackle! 

Mine was as a 31 year old playing against a 43 year old Bobby Lennox in a charity game. Outrageous. Never laid a glove on him in a 20 minutes each way game. It was as if time stopped around him, and he could do what he wanted, and no-one could stop him.

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Now that is potentially very bold.

Disagree. We'll be 3 points ahead of Queens Park by then after securing 3 straight wins for the first time in ages, the mood will be bouyant as the 3 year Rennie contract gets slapped on the table, photo opps all round, everyone bussed up to the Wellington with Kenny Miller on the karaoke singing Amarillo. Coyb 

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Disagree. We'll be 3 points ahead of Queens Park by then after securing 3 straight wins for the first time in ages, the mood will be bouyant as the 3 year Rennie contract gets slapped on the table, photo opps all round, everyone bussed up to the Wellington with Kenny Miller on the karaoke singing Amarillo. Coyb 

How stupid of me. I hadn’t been paying attention, and didn’t know that is how it ends. Apologies.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Disagree. We'll be 3 points ahead of Queens Park by then after securing 3 straight wins for the first time in ages, the mood will be bouyant as the 3 year Rennie contract gets slapped on the table, photo opps all round, everyone bussed up to the Tolbooth Tavern with Kenny Miller on the karaoke singing Amarillo. Coyb 

Fixed to add Falkirks premier karaoke venue. 

I remember playing against Roddy Grant when we were both about 19/20 at under-21 level, he was playing for a team called Strathbrock up Broxburn way. He was different class and he tore me to shreds. Had a decent career TBF but always looked like he was short of a yard of pace. f**k me I must have been running with lead in my boots. 
We all slaughter pro’s being this and that but it is a different level. 

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

A good mate of mine, who sadly passed away a couple of years back, was head and shoulders above me and most of my mates when it came to fives. He played for Glasgow Uni back in the day and if he wanted to he could beat us all several times and then score all manner of goals. Thankfully he treated our games as the laugh they were intended to be and didn't embarrass us, as he could have easily. He was a great guy, sadly missed.

Anyway, a good few years ago he was asked to fill in at a game of fives in which none other than Pedro Moutinho happened to be playing. He told us that playing against Pedro was the most futile thing he'd ever done. Pedro could keep the ball, do whatever he wanted with it, score any kind of goal, you name it. No-one could get the ball off him.

This was a guy who was head and shoulders above me and all the rest of my mates who was playing against an ex-pro who was an order of magnitude better than him. And Pedro wasn't even anywhere near an elite level ex-pro.

A different world.

Makes you wonder the level the top pros are at, the likes of the English Prem, La Liga, Bundesliga players must be off the scale.

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I remember playing against Roddy Grant when we were both about 19/20 at under-21 level, he was playing for a team called Strathbrock up Broxburn way. He was different class and he tore me to shreds. Had a decent career TBF but always looked like he was short of a yard of pace. f**k me I must have been running with lead in my boots. 

That canny be right, Roddy Grant's only 55!

17 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Decent finisher, someone I always hoped we`d go for.

42 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That canny be right, Roddy Grant's only 55!

😂
Maybe he was 18 and me 20 

Edited by Back Post Misses

I played at a supporters club sixes tournament at Brockville many years back in the Elliots 3 team. Each team was assigned a Falkirk player and a policeman - it was a joint venture between the club and the Police promoting community stuff.

Well we were given Simon Stainrod, which still remains one of the highlights of my life. He wasn't arrogant or aloof , he was sound and hung about with us all day between matches. We put the copper in goals and played a 4 man defence with Simon up front. Every one of our misplaced or overhit passes he got to and controlled in a flash, it was a complete education.

I also remember we were going to play a team with Stephen Cody in the next game and Simon advised us not to hold on to the ball as Cody is an absolute maniac and will break your legs even in this.