The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
11 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Another difference last summer was that it was people’s first chance to get back to the stadium after 18 months of not being able to attend games.

I think a lot will now decide they’ve seen enough if Rennie stays on.

Including me I know 4 that’s had enough if he stays 

10 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

He spent quite a bit of time tonight (partly in response to a question from yours truly) addressing that very point.

He has a dressing room full of five a side players whose confidence is absolutely shot.

Whenever we go a goal down, which is most games, the heads go down and the lack of leadership on the park becomes obvious.

To repeat my earlier post he knows that we don’t have the battlers that we need in our position and the January window was a case of nearly but not quite when it came to getting the guys he wanted.

I’m sure that what Deans and the ex BOD announced “confidence is shot”

Don’t buy this, for Fck sake their professional football players earning decent wages  and asked to give it their all for maybe 90/180 minutes each week.

They train for four short days most working guys will never experience.

They are really lucky that an average of 4000 fans every two weeks, have stood by watching a rudderless pile of utter shite and get off relatively Scot free.

Confidence is shot ? My Fckn arse 

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m sure that what Deans and the ex BOD announced “confidence is shot”

Don’t buy this, for Fck sake their professional football players earning decent wages  and asked to give it their all for maybe 90/180 minutes each week.

They train for four short days most working guys will never experience.

They are really lucky that an average of 4000 fans every two weeks, have stood by watching a rudderless pile of utter shite and get off relatively Scot free.

Confidence is shot ? My Fckn arse 

What is our real average attendance lately though? Would be interesting to know how many have stopped bothering to turn up even though they've paid for their season.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

So are you saying Rennie should be let go?

Absolutely no knowledge, but by looking at Rennie  in his post match interviews I wouldn’t be surprised if he voluntarily packed it in and hotfooted it back to North America.

The man has aged considerably since his arrival.

Guest FFC1965

My last game was the draw v Peterhead - I was actually amazed that we got a crowd of 3,187 (exclude Killie and that would likely be a record attendance for the majority of Championship teams - all other than PTFC & DAFC probably? - and it was a foul night.    

As I wont be able to attend any of the remaining three home games it means I'll have attended 6 out the 18 home games over this season (I know there were a handful where attendance was limited) which must be the lowest % in any season that I've had a ST. 

Given the dross that's been served up again this season and with with something of a financial squeeze coming for everybody over the next few months I fear for ST sales, though I say that every season and 2,000+ people surprise me every season.   I'll probably base my decision on the new manager.  I want to club to show ambition, then I'll do my bit.  For too many years its been the other way round. 

I'll definitely not renew if its Rennie.  

On the playing side, Rennie was recruited as an improver of underperforming squads.  He's also been able to bring in/back over half a team.  He has not been a success by any objective measure and the club should count its lucky stars that his contract is only until the season end.  He has had less of an impact on a struggling squad than McKinnon did (once able to recruit in January 2019) and McKinnon was in the Championship not L1.   

Whoever is appointed as replacement should be given the time it takes so that the entire squad has been recruited or re-signed by them.  According to transfermarkt that means to the end of the 23/24 season. 

Unless paid to leave (and we sure as hell cant send them all packing with a fat cheque) we have the following for next season 

Watson, McGuffie, Hetherington, Williamson, Wilson, Holt, Ross, Morrison, McCann & McKay (the final three are contracted to the end of the 23/24 season).

Who to bring in as manager?  I'd have Murray at Airdrie top of my list but its looking increasingly like that would be a step backwards for him and Id not be surprised if he takes Airdrie up via the playoffs.  Hughes would probably be available if DAFC get relegated but I'm not keen.  I'd have McGlynn if he wants away from Raith after the Goodwillie shitshow but I can see him staying and try to get RRFC up (I'm assuming they will finish 5th or wont get to the playoff final . 

However given that a new manager would inherit a massively underperforming squad on lengthy contracts it does just look like a job that many would avoid.  Given the situation the club is in Id actually not be surprised if McKinnon returned or the club gambled on somebody from L2 (Naysmith / Young) or Crawford from EFFC.  We'll be shopping at the Barras and not Waitrose thats for sure.     

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What is our real average attendance lately though? Would be interesting to know how many have stopped bothering to turn up even though they've paid for their season.

I’d hazard a guess the actual people attending last weeks game may have been around the 2650 including  the away Fans. 
As with the widening gaps across the two stands, many have decided enough is enough.

The season finished a few weeks ago for many.

The three remaining home games might see some of the lowest ever gates recoded at the stadium. 

3 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

So are you saying Rennie should be let go?

I am not saying anything other than who ever the manager is have to move most of the players on. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Whether it was well placed or not there was a new manager in the summer, the Rawlins had appeared  on the scene and fans were up beat.  You only have to look at the numbers actually attending games now  and the feelings of those there and online these days to know that this has most likely been the straw that broke the camel's back for a good few. Let's face it chances are things are only going to get worse between now and may.  Last Saturday was an utter shambles . Tactics were clueless and the players obviously aren't playing for Rennie. He gets the job come the Summer and season tickets are going to plummet in my opinion. There will be zero to encourage fans.

You are missing my point. I am certain there will be a hit. However there will be many who will sign up come what may. Last season I was surprised at how many, as were the Board at the time, renewed. IMO it won’t fall quite as far as most predict. 

12 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Probably clutching at straws, but I’m now starting to think appointing an actual football manager would at least make us look like a football team again. 

Names that used to be make me shudder (McIntyre, Johnstone etc) now don’t.

Its the lack of competitiveness against any team higher in the league that does it for me

you beat me to this point. I'd rather have a "manager" in for close season than a "coach". sheerin and rennie have shown despite having all the coaching experience they can't organise and get the best out of a squad.  so, give me an old fashioned manager who commands respect in the dugout like jeffries, yogi and houston did and guys like dick campbell still do.

my personal pick if possible would be to try and convince Tommy Wright. he will command respect and has managed teams very well on tight budgets. would heavily incentives his contract to promotion. he's out of work so no compensation (yet again) to pay either

We've got to the stage now where is there really a point in trying to find a new manager given the state we are in, the players we already have contracted for the next few seasons and the last set of candidates we had for the job before Rennie got it. 

For me Rennie's recruitment has been far better than any of the last few managers and given it was a January window I've got to give him some credit for that. However how he's utilised those signings and managed games has been absolutely appalling.  Continously throwing Brad Mckay and Gary Miller on from the start in the hope they've somehow changed and became half decent footballers. Leaving Telfer too deep to affect games properly. Even attempting Hetherington in from the start in the game away to Cove. 

ATS - 6/10 and is hopefully gone in the summer, slightly better than Hall & Mckay but not by much

Mills - 7/10 young lad who's 18 and still miles ahead of Hall & Mckay

Watson - 7/10 not been as good as we'd all hoped but again still miles better than Mckay & Hall and has chipped in with a few goals too

Jacobs - 7/10 again hasn't been as good as we'd hoped but I put that down to Rennie playing hokey cokey with him starting some games and then dropped the next few. Still would rather have him than Hetherington or Miller.

Griffiths - 7/10 isn't anywhere near the level he should be playing at but a gamble we really had to take given Wilson was going to be our only other option off the bench. 

Kabia - 10/10 outstanding player

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

you beat me to this point. I'd rather have a "manager" in for close season than a "coach". sheerin and rennie have shown despite having all the coaching experience they can't organise and get the best out of a squad.  so, give me an old fashioned manager who commands respect in the dugout like jeffries, yogi and houston did and guys like dick campbell still do.

my personal pick if possible would be to try and convince Tommy Wright. he will command respect and has managed teams very well on tight budgets. would heavily incentives his contract to promotion. he's out of work so no compensation (yet again) to pay either

That would be my choice as well if we can get Liam Craig in as his assistant all the better. The decisions regarding next season should be being made now.

Who the manager will be.

What they call the shots on.

Budget.

What out of contract players we try to retain.

What contracted players we  buy out of their contracts

Squad structure - full time - part time - hybrid.

So as a club come the end of season we hit the ground running to get so many wrongs put right for our last shot as a football club.

Because if we get this wrong this time its over and we should no kid ourselves otherwise.

Guest Caractacus Potts
35 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am not saying anything other than who ever the manager is have to move most of the players on. 

You had a go at me for having previously stated I would have kept Sheerin on till his job became untenable, in my opinion. You then defended Rennie asking to compare his record vs Sheerin which was only marginally better and is now worse.

If you were so adamant about Sheerin leaving weeks before his departure I’m just interested to know why you are now not wanting to state whether you believe Rennie should stay? 

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That would be my choice as well if we can get Liam Craig in as his assistant all the better. The decisions regarding next season should be being made now.

Who the manager will be.

What they call the shots on.

Budget.

What out of contract players we try to retain.

What contracted players we  buy out of their contracts

Squad structure - full time - part time - hybrid.

So as a club come the end of season we hit the ground running to get so many wrongs put right for our last shot as a football club.

Because if we get this wrong this time its over and we should no kid ourselves otherwise.

Without going over old ground, the club in my opinion is at a critical stage on how we go forward.

In an ideal world I’d break the bank to get Wright here, if LC could be signed and build a new team with LC as the midfield anchor.
Signing someone like Wright & LC may just save the ST sales from dropping like a brick, and allow for a half decent squad to be put together. 

40 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You are missing my point. I am certain there will be a hit. However there will be many who will sign up come what may. Last season I was surprised at how many, as were the Board at the time, renewed. IMO it won’t fall quite as far as most predict. 

The last two seasons though there has at least been some hope for fans. Two summers ago we had just missed out on promotion by a point and there was a feeling of injustice around the club regarding the way things panned out for us against Raith.  Last season we had a new manager for fans to be positive about and as I said the appearance of the Rawlins. If we keep Rennie and unless there is a massive turn around results and performances stay as dreadful as they are currently then what's making these fans but season tickets at a time when money is tighter than ever due to fuel and energy bills etc.  Yes there are the diehards and the people who will buy no matter what but without anything to cling to the season ticket levels will plummet. I'm not sure many folk are going to be convinced by the we need your money to stay full time letters this time around if a manager whose clearly the wrong fit for our current predicament is kept on for next season.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Without going over old ground, the club in my opinion is at a critical stage on how we go forward.

In an ideal world I’d break the bank to get Wright here, if LC could be signed and build a new team with LC as the midfield anchor.
Signing someone like Wright & LC may just save the ST sales from dropping like a brick, and allow for a half decent squad to be put together. 

I agree. I'm not even sure we need to break the bank we just need to be creative and make it a win win for both parties.

I watched a stainrod interview recently on YouTube and he said he was happy to take a very low base and highly incentivised contract on goals, appearances,  wins, promotion etc as he knew scottish league 1 as it was was a step down for him and he believed in his ability to score goals, create wins and secure promotion a d that's how it turned out. both parties ended up in a win win. 

Tommy Wright could be incentivised in a similar way. 

56 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've got to the stage now where is there really a point in trying to find a new manager given the state we are in, the players we already have contracted for the next few seasons and the last set of candidates we had for the job before Rennie got it. 

For me Rennie's recruitment has been far better than any of the last few managers and given it was a January window I've got to give him some credit for that. However how he's utilised those signings and managed games has been absolutely appalling.  Continously throwing Brad Mckay and Gary Miller on from the start in the hope they've somehow changed and became half decent footballers. Leaving Telfer too deep to affect games properly. Even attempting Hetherington in from the start in the game away to Cove. 

ATS - 6/10 and is hopefully gone in the summer, slightly better than Hall & Mckay but not by much

Mills - 7/10 young lad who's 18 and still miles ahead of Hall & Mckay

Watson - 7/10 not been as good as we'd all hoped but again still miles better than Mckay & Hall and has chipped in with a few goals too

Jacobs - 7/10 again hasn't been as good as we'd hoped but I put that down to Rennie playing hokey cokey with him starting some games and then dropped the next few. Still would rather have him than Hetherington or Miller.

Griffiths - 7/10 isn't anywhere near the level he should be playing at but a gamble we really had to take given Wilson was going to be our only other option off the bench. 

Kabia - 10/10 outstanding player

Far far too generous in those ratings 😃😃😃

Kabia easily the pick but his form has fell off a cliff after bringing in the corner taker.

The rest, I'd say ATS and Jacobs have had zero effect in a positive way and the rest have but not all plain sailing

The BOD need to come out and do one of two things:

1) Announce that regardless of performances MR will be in charge next season and back him financially to achieve an objective of significantly improved performances and playoffs at an absolute minimum

2) Announce that regardless of performances MR will not be in charge next season and that the search for a successor with a proven track record of success when managing full-time teams in Scottish football.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The BOD need to come out and do one of two things:

1) Announce that regardless of performances MR will be in charge next season and back him financially to achieve an objective of significantly improved performances and playoffs at an absolute minimum

2) Announce that regardless of performances MR will not be in charge next season and that the search for a successor with a proven track record of success when managing full-time teams in Scottish football.

It’s got to be No 2