The Falkirk FC Thread

Only if the 6 players are of the right calibre and type required. I’d argue that with the possible exception of Watson, none have turned out to be what we required. 

Maybe I don’t care as much anymore but I’m not bothered if Rennie stays or goes next season. I don’t see who we will appoint that will get a tune out of the players we’re stuck with and get a perfect record with the rest of the signings. 

We could appoint pretty much anyone and they’d struggle to do worse than the 2 clowns we’ve appointed this season. The appointment of a manager is more important than any member of the playing squad.

Happens at virtually every level football across the world where a team massively underperforming punts their manager and if they get that appointment right you an see a massive upturn in performance with minimal changing of the playing squad. You only need to look up a division and see the turnaround Dougie Imrie has managed at Morton with on paper a very poor squad of players.

10 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I’d play Wilson on Saturday just to see if he is any good as a wing/full back. Can’t be as big a shitebag as Williamson and we’ve nothing to lose anyway.

Good call. Boys got an engine, desire & can tackle

Just watch him tomorrow  v Ayr 

For me, only ATS is a total waste of a signing, but the one howling omission is not leaving Dowds and Jaze alone, and moving heaven and earth to bring in two proper midfielders.

McCann is a pretty decent wing back but isn’t strong defensively, Williamson looks decent going forward, but doesn’t have a defensive fibre in his body, and doesn’t have the stamina for that role. How many goals have we conceded with Williamson making half hearted challenges out wide, or trotting back watching us concede another goal.

For me, a 4-4-2 is the only way we will have any chance of being half way competent. A simpler set up with defenders who defend, and don’t go on swashbuckling runs to nowhere. Liverpool lite we ain’t.

Now that we have Dowds and Jacobs on a growing injury list, it might well be the case that the likes of Jamie Wilson is thrown to the wolves to see how he gets on.

The big thing for us is that like it or not, there is no permutation of our squad that will come up with a half way decent midfield. It’s killed us from September on, and it will kill us from here into April.

33 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

harsh, he did score a few very well taken goals for us.

Always thought if Keena and Dowds had been fit at the same time/ not loaned out, they would of been a good paring for you guys- but dont think  they ever really ever played together as a front 2 for any period of time…

Guest Ecosse83

f**k me I’m done if Rennie is still here next season. Talks a good game but looks tactically useless, especially during a game. 

He’s trying to force his style (if you can call it that) on players that aren’t suited to it instead of playing a style more suited to what we have like all good managers do. He can’t be here next season! 

As has been mentioned what the hell is the point of a 6 month contract if you're just going to give him the bloody job no matter how much of a mess he makes of it in that time and why are we appointing a manager whose contacts will be more overseas than in Scotland when we can't sign any bloomin players from overseas? Crazy stuff.

It's surely up to the manager to motivate and get the players playing with confidence.  Rennie like Sheerin obviously has been unable to do that to any decent extent what so ever and again why spunk money on Griffiths when you know the rest of the side is nowhere near good enough never mind bringing in players that to you're not really that keen on to be honest.  

If Rennie does hang around then God knows how they will shift tickets for next season. They might want to stay full-time but keeping him on might put the kybosh on that. Very few if any are enthused by his tenure so far and most I would say want no sign of him next season.

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It’s a given as many have suspected MR is here next season. 

Well his sides will have to improve in organisation & effort. As they haven't shown much change/improvement from that which went before.

What is the opposite of Midas touch?

Need antonyms for Midas touch? Here's a list of opposite words from our thesaurus that you can use instead.

Noun
Opposite of the ability to gain success or financial reward from one's actions

Guest Caractacus Potts

There’s been too many shifting of the goal posts recently. I think some are doubling down on their efforts because Rennie is now an appointment made by people they know. I get the need to defend it but it doesn’t mean it was the correct decision and that we should just continue to sail the course to try prove a point regardless. If those same fans were saying Sheerin should have went games before he was sacked then I have absolutely no idea why Rennie should now continue to get more games to try prove himself. 

Let’s remember, Rennie was appointed to turn things around quickly. That’s not happened. 

Rennie also said he was happy with the squad he inherited and would only bring people in if they were better than those present. To some extent that’s true but the sum of their parts is now worse than before so how can they be that much better if a nucleus of a team get worse results. 

We’re also wasting a fortune on Griffiths and by all means attempted to sign a player that could have caused serious harm to this club. 

We need to learn from these mistakes and learn fast and that includes Rennie. His appointment is looking like a big  mistake at present and the board simply can’t afford to deny the obvious in fear of admitting their error. 

5 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

For me, only ATS is a total waste of a signing, but the one howling omission is not leaving Dowds and Jaze alone, and moving heaven and earth to bring in two proper midfielders.

McCann is a pretty decent wing back but isn’t strong defensively, Williamson looks decent going forward, but doesn’t have a defensive fibre in his body, and doesn’t have the stamina for that role. How many goals have we conceded with Williamson making half hearted challenges out wide, or trotting back watching us concede another goal.

For me, a 4-4-2 is the only way we will have any chance of being half way competent. A simpler set up with defenders who defend, and don’t go on swashbuckling runs to nowhere. Liverpool lite we ain’t.

Now that we have Dowds and Jacobs on a growing injury list, it might well be the case that the likes of Jamie Wilson is thrown to the wolves to see how he gets on.

The big thing for us is that like it or not, there is no permutation of our squad that will come up with a half way decent midfield. It’s killed us from September on, and it will kill us from here into April.

You are advocating 4-4-2 and say the Full backs can’t defend. You can’t have it both ways. It is the very reason you play 3-5-2 if the strength of those two is going forward. You could argue on Saturday all 4 goal were either McCanns or Williamsons fault or part fault at the weekend. 
That squad needs gutting. The summer is easier to move players on. You have to hope whoever is in charge can do that. 

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As has been mentioned what the hell is the point of a 6 month contract if you're just going to give him the bloody job no matter how much of a mess he makes of it in that time and why are we appointing a manager whose contacts will be more overseas than in Scotland when we can't sign any bloomin players from overseas? Crazy stuff.

It's surely up to the manager to motivate and get the players playing with confidence.  Rennie like Sheerin obviously has been unable to do that to any decent extent what so ever and again why spunk money on Griffiths when you know the rest of the side is nowhere near good enough never mind bringing in players that to you're not really that keen on to be honest.  

If Rennie does hang around then God knows how they will shift tickets for next season. They might want to stay full-time but keeping him on might put the kybosh on that. Very few if any are enthused by his tenure so far and most I would say want no sign of him next season.

c2500 Falkirk fans bought ST’s last summer after the Armageddon of last season with Holt and Deans stinking the place out. I am not saying they will do that again in those sort of numbers but in the past it has been proven many will renew no matter what.

Edited by Back Post Misses

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

c2500 Falkirk fans bought ST’s last summer after the Armageddon of last season with Holt and Deans stinking the place out. I am not saying they will do that again in those sort of numbers but in the past it has been proven many will renew no matter what.

I agree and count myself as one who would be first to get the family tickets renewed as soon as the tickets were available.

Not after this year’s Armageddon, had it unless there is an absolute clear out, which I suspect isn’t going to happen. 

Good luck to the club if the plans are to go with MR and the players currently under contract. Heading straight towards the abyss for me.

I would argue the last part of your post may be different from previous years, there’s already a considerable amount of vacant seats around me since the turn of the year that STs haven’t returned. 

You are advocating 4-4-2 and say the Full backs can’t defend. You can’t have it both ways. It is the very reason you play 3-5-2 if the strength of those two is going forward. You could argue on Saturday all 4 goal were either McCanns or Williamsons fault or part fault at the weekend. 
That squad needs gutting. The summer is easier to move players on. You have to hope whoever is in charge can do that. 

It's generally 5-3-2 in our 3-5-2 leaving Telfer to be the defensive mid, the width and the attacking mid most weeks. As for Saturday with Mills in the DM role, it was a carbon copy of McGuffie at wing back being neither a FB or LM but with Mills the crossroads of being a CD and DM and was neither.

The shape of our team is one of the main issues in our struggles, watching McKay hoof a 40-50 yard pass out the park on repeat makes you wonder what the feck are we doing in training.

I know we have some players simply not good enough but there is a starting 11 that are more competitive than what's being delivered.

Totally new level of lows this season, I know folk who stopped going under Sheerin and had a comeback for Rennie to give up once again.

I think we can kiss goodbye to a good lot of last season's season ticket holders, a good few will judge it on how we end this season,our next manager and players in and out more than it has ever been in my time. A good lot of our fan base generally buy no matter what but I can see a similar drop to when Pressley got a 3yr contract in the summer this time.

The numbers are dwindling now in March the business end of the season which becomes a habit for some to stay away.

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You have to hope whoever is in charge can do that. 

So are you saying Rennie should be let go?

...  and by all means attempted to sign a player that could have caused serious harm to this club. 

Can anyone confirm if this was brought up last night?

As we know the FSS ran the poll and Rennie must have been the main driver at the time so would have been interesting to hear what bearing the group had and what Rennie learned from the episode.

Edited by Blame Me
Clarification

Guest Ecosse83
3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You can tell your board pals to stop trotting that out now, it’s a very poor excuse for advocating the 352. We’re not that stupid! 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Whether it was well placed or not there was a new manager in the summer, the Rawlins had appeared  on the scene and fans were up beat.  You only have to look at the numbers actually attending games now  and the feelings of those there and online these days to know that this has most likely been the straw that broke the camel's back for a good few. Let's face it chances are things are only going to get worse between now and may.  Last Saturday was an utter shambles . Tactics were clueless and the players obviously aren't playing for Rennie. He gets the job come the Summer and season tickets are going to plummet in my opinion. There will be zero to encourage fans.