The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Considering Saturday was our last chance barring a miracle of staying in touch of the play offs the lack of fight was shocking if not surprising. I can take getting beat if we've put absolutely everything in but when you've players hiding and not taking responsibility it's not good enough. There's talent in our squad but we look like 11 individuals running around like a primary school team compared with Airdrie who look like an actual organised football team. To be honest I don't think any manager could make our squad a success and I really don't know where we go from here for next season.

The whole club seems like a shambles tbh. The new board had a real opportunity to fill me with confidence by appointing a really good replacement for Sheerin and they’ve actually managed to pick somebody who actually looks even worse. The whole clubs a bloody mess.

Why do so many folk think the problem is with us appointing too many managers?

The problem isn't with us appointing too many managers. The problem with us is appointing too many managers who are absolutely terrible.

Go and someone please, please explain to me the logic of wanting to keep Rennie just because our last few managers have been absolute horseshit. I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Thought there was a better chance of him being a good appointment than Rennie tbh. 

Had won a league with Arbroath and came with the promise of attacking football - you’ll win games 6-2, 5-2 etc. 

He won a league with a part time Arbroath ten years ago.

He had absolutely no experience in managing a full-time squad of men.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It was 100% right that Sheerin and Holt got the boot. I also thought the transfer business in the summer looked good at the time as it seemed to address the key issues we were having. 

I have defended Rennie on here saying he needs time. But ultimately, it just isn't working. We didn't get a new manager bounce, really. And we are playing for draws and defeats and being thankful that there are a few teams worse than us, somehow, in this division. 

I am at a loss. Genuinely do not know where a rebuild begins. Another new manager? Maybe. Clearout of players? Maybe. But isn't that what we've been doing for years with no success? 

I don't think I have ever been as pessimistic as a fan of this club as I am now. We are in the middle of the third tier and deserve nothing more right now. 

The new board need time to make their mark. The old board thankfully are away. But where do we go from here?

A few years ago I joked that we were the new third lanark if the MSG did not give up and gtf. I’m beginning to wonder if that may come to pass! The common thread re our demise is the lack of ownership by the guys given the short straw to make key decisions. Managers have come and gone since Houston and yet we go from bad to worse . If SA and MR are true fans then they need to realize this and donate their shares to the fans. Group -SA needs to stop taking cash from the south Stand at least until we are in the premiership( if ever) as his white elephant is simply not needed. Sadly after nearly 60 years of following the team home and away I’m on the verge of giving up . I don’t blame the current managers he was dealt a hand that made keeping up his record of turning teams round almost impossible. 

5 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Still being fairly rational in my old age, I know this can't be true, but you could be forgiven for thinking Falkirk are cursed.  The amount of players we've signed who played WAY below expectations or their ability who then go on to play better for other teams when we ditch them.  Most every major decision the club have made for a number of years now have been the wrong one.  We are a continuing train crash without an end in sight.   A downturn can't go on forever, right?

Maybe playing under semi-competent managers is the reason that so many ex-players do better after leaving us, rather than glorified boys' club coaches?

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Why do so many folk think the problem is with us appointing too many managers?

The problem isn't with us appointing too many managers. The problem with us is appointing too many managers who are absolutely terrible.

Go and someone please, please explain to me the logic of wanting to keep Rennie just because our last few managers have been absolute horseshit. I just don't get it.

MRs remit would have been the playoffs, hes failed so has to go for that alone. However,  its obvious that we're such a poorly coached outfit, regressimg week by week with the chopping and changing of tactics and playing players in alien positions, that even if we had made the playoffs I'd still be of the opinion that he has to go. 

Imo the manager is the most important employee at the club, get it right and generally other things fall into place. We need someone with a level of experience, can structure a team effectively, someone that has an appreciation of L1 opposition and can positively take advantage of the loan market.  It's the biggest decision the BoD have once the season ends.

The game has changed greatly in recent years as it doesn't take the injection of that much cash (Gretna aside) to become a competent middle ranker. 

Our current predicament means clubs such as Cove, Queens Park and Kelty are now direct challengers. Unthinkable around a decade ago, it's a reality because it's frankly what we deserve. 

Fancy grandstands, highest wage payers, annual bullshit slogans, Director of Football, CEO.... its all delusional nonsense. 

The club produced too many hangers-on when times were good. There really has to be a decent book in this... The Falkirk Story - How not to run a football club. 

Sadly, we have no idea how to change things as successive and countless bad decisions keep eating up vital funds as we merely fill the pockets of poor footballers and managers. 

Worrying times doesn't cover it - these are the absolute worst of times. 

Just home from the FSS AGM.

Most of the evening given over to a Q&A with Martin Rennie and to be fair to the man he spoke well and made it known that he inherited a situation much worse than he expected  an example being the club being unable to sign overseas players as the club had failed to pay for the necessary bond and only one player on the list of potential signings(Holt really does seem to have been stealing a wage).

Without throwing any individual players under a bus it’s clear that a fair number of the squad are not what he wants, defence in particular was mentioned several times and he is very aware of the lack of aggression in the team as a whole.

A lot of time and effort went into trying to sign big powerful midfielders in January but obviously unsuccessfully.

Basically too many tippy  tappy shitehouses who chuck it when they go a goal down.

Allan Fraser apparently already identified several potential players.

A lot of things discussed tonight. There’s clearly some really good and enthusiastic people involved with the club and that is encouraging. 

On the football front - I would be shocked if Rennie wasn’t here next season. He is clearly very, very aware of the deficiencies in the squad. He has obviously been brought in to set up a long term plan and does not seem like a till the end of the season appointment at all. He seems more in favour of a hybrid or full time model, but less so part time. Believes strongly in having an academy. Takes full responsibility for the last 12 weeks but was heavily suggesting that it was impossible to turnover the squad in January, and that we missed out on a lot of targets. He also mentioned that we had identified a grand total of one (1) player for signing before he came in, and that there was basically no scouting network in place. We also were apparently incapable of signing any non-U.K. players due to some pathetic admin f**k-up from the previous regime but not entirely sure what that would have been . 

Guest TedCrilly
1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Most of the evening given over to a Q&A with Martin Rennie and to be fair to the man he spoke well and made it known that he inherited a situation much worse than he expected  an example being the club being unable to sign overseas players as the club had failed to pay for the necessary bond and only one player on the list of potential signings(Holt really does seem to have been stealing a wage).

Without throwing any individual players under a bus it’s clear that a fair number of the squad are not what he wants, defence in particular was mentioned several times and he is very aware of the lack of aggression in the team as a whole.

A lot of time and effort went into trying to sign big powerful midfielders in January but obviously unsuccessfully.

Basically too many tippy  tappy shitehouses who chuck it when they go a goal down.

Thanks for the rundown, it’s much appreciated.

Rennie rightly points out we were a shambles when he came in but there’s absolutely no excuse for the gap between us and QP to extend further given our investment.

In all honesty, I’m sick of hearing the same excuses peddled every season of how the previous board and management are totally incompetent. We all know the situation at the club, that’s ultimately the reason we have a new BoD and management team in place. I just want to see some leadership from above and hear of a solution to move the club in the right direction.

Nothing changes for me - Rennie has to go.

Edited by TedCrilly

Sounds just like the same excuses we’ve heard again and again for the last 5 years tbh. Manager admits current squad isn’t good enough, promises of improvement in the summer. We’re still waiting.

Why on earth was Griffiths signed on a fortune when even the manger admits the rest of the squad is rubbish?

It seems (as many thought at the time) Gary Holt’s 12 hour days were in fact, a load of fanciful horseshit. A sheet of paper with one name on it was the sum total output of his August to December scouting network. He must have been typing one letter of the guy’s name every third or fourth day.

Just now, Duncan Freemason said:

It seems (as many thought at the time) Gary Holt’s 12 hour days were in fact, a load of fanciful horseshit. A sheet of paper with one name on it was the sum total output of his August to December scouting network. He must have been typing one letter of the guy’s name every third or fourth day.

I always thought this was hilarious from the US contingent, "he is sending emails at midnight", well if he's doing a 12 hour day he isn't starting until midday, maybe he should have started earlier in the morning and he might have been able to get some deals done.

It’s all well and good Rennie saying that but he still signed 6 players, including one on a massive wage, and in many measures we are even less competitive than we were under Cones. What’s his reason for putting out a side that can’t even do the basics like fucking compete?

18 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

For me the most interesting question of the night was the final one  - are the BOD expecting us to go at least partially part-time next season? 

The answer was no. While obviously it would depend on things like income, investment etc, the clear answer from Nigel Serafini was that we planned to remain a completely fulltime club next season. Or at least that was my take on his response. 

4 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Considering Saturday was our last chance barring a miracle of staying in touch of the play offs the lack of fight was shocking if not surprising. I can take getting beat if we've put absolutely everything in but when you've players hiding and not taking responsibility it's not good enough. There's talent in our squad but we look like 11 individuals running around like a primary school team compared with Airdrie who look like an actual organised football team. To be honest I don't think any manager could make our squad a success and I really don't know where we go from here for next season.

I'd guess that any of our managers back until Eddie May (not Sheerin) would've focused on getting a shape and formation, Rennie focused on one when it only worked against a very poor Dumbarton. 

Nesbitt hasn't kicked a ball in 2022, God knows how he started on Saturday. We have a better 11 out there than what Rennie is putting out, yep shit bench but the 11 out there should be enough to produce better performances than what we are getting.

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I know a guy who played for him at Arbroath. He spoke extremely highly of him as a coach and a man manager so I was quite positive at first. Even more so up until the first QP game where we were extremely unlucky not to win, and the whole thing fell to pieces in a shockingly brief time.

When he made Ruth our Drogba the downfall started.

14 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

On the football front - I would be shocked if Rennie wasn’t here next season. He is clearly very, very aware of the deficiencies in the squad. He has obviously been brought in to set up a long term plan and does not seem like a till the end of the season appointment at all. 

Eh? That's exactly what he is. He literally has a contract until the end of the season. If he was brought in to enact a long-term plan he should have been given a long-term contract, not a six-month one, and it should have been made crystal clear to the supporters at the time of his appointment that that was the job he had been brought in to do. You bring in a manager mid-season on a short-term contract to try to engineer, in a short space of time, an improvement in results, performance and league position and unfortunately Rennie has completely failed in that regard. In fact, he has made us worse. So we'll now just shift the goalposts. Absolutely nothing ever changes at this club.