The Falkirk FC Thread

7 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Houston’s recruitment was poor but I do wonder what would’ve happened if he was given more resources.

I remember being at a Q&A where Craig Campbell said the budget had been cut for the season Houston ended up being sacked. That was a crazy decision to me when it was our first real opportunity to challenge for promotion without Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the league.

You wonder if things would’ve worked out differently in hindsight of Houston had been given some of the money that has been spent like water over the last few years replacing entire squads.

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Just listened to Mutch. Absolutely correct young man. We are soft as putty particularly in midfield. The midfield can't protect the defence and don't support the strikers. They are weak and a pushover for teams around and above us. It does not matter if we have a world class defence and attack if the midfield are shit bags we will never do anything Holt and Sheerin signed too many silky ( sic ) players and nobody able to do the dirty stuff well.

…..and to add insult to injury, not only is one of Sheerin’s signings a Cove cast off who cannot get a berth in the division’s worst midfield, but cherry on the cake, we paid a five figure transfer fee for him. Way to go Sheerin. MR should thank his lucky stars that he only has to be less bad than Sheerin in order to claim an improvement.

13 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Punt Holt, McKay, Hetherington, Ross and Wilson and that would do me.  McGuffie a bit meh but would be an ok option from the bench. 

What we need is a decent manager and everything else will fall into place. 

By punt you must mean pay off the remainder of their contracts.

That's a lot of cash for us to lay out for nothing, where's that coming from?  

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

By punt you must mean pay off the remainder of their contracts.

That's a lot of cash for us to lay out for nothing, where's that coming from?  

You don’t typically have to pay 100% of a player’s remaining contract to get him out early.

What usually happens is the player will agree to a fixed buyout, allowing him to pocket the buyout and then go sign with another club. 

That buyout could be anything from peanuts to 80% of the remaining contract. The exact amount a player is willing to take depends on his view of his ability to get signed elsewhere for similar wages. Those who back themselves would agree to a comparatively smaller buyout. 

53 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You don’t typically have to pay 100% of a player’s remaining contract to get him out early.

What usually happens is the player will agree to a fixed buyout, allowing him to pocket the buyout and then go sign with another club. 

That buyout could be anything from peanuts to 80% of the remaining contract. The exact amount a player is willing to take depends on his view of his ability to get signed elsewhere for similar wages. Those who back themselves would agree to a comparatively smaller buyout. 

Yes I agree but It's still a buy out and it's rarely peanuts. Most of our players are on the downward spiral IMO so unlikely to get better elsewhere.

Too many fans think we can just kick under contract players out with no consequence. 

21 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Allan Johnston has many faults, and is not even close to being good enough at championship level. However, his record with full time clubs in the third tier is exceptional. I am being genuinely serious when I say that he would actually be a pretty good short term appointment for you guys. 

Yeah, he's had two seasons in the third tier as a manager and won the league at a canter both times. Falkirk are in a place where they need to stop trying experiments or gambles and just get a manager who knows how to win League One with a full time team and has a track record to prove it.

Of course he's not a long term option for a club in that position as he isn't good enough for the Championship, and that's a test of how stupid Falkirk's new board are. Are they going to think about just building a competent side to get out of League One, or are they putting the cart before the horse and actually believing the shite about having a 'rightful place' or whatever in the Premiership, so will overlook someone like Johnston because he'll never get them there? If they do the latter and obsess about someone's suitability as a long term project for the Championship when they can't even make the playoffs in League One they could easily end up with another impostor like Rennie and get even worse.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Craig Levein would be my on my list for manager. Not sure he’d want to come or if he’d still have the desire to get us out of our current situation but he’d be worth considering. 

there must be something badly wrong behind the scenes though.  Falkirks ave gate over the past 5 years is up there with some premiership clubs and that means more money through the door. the rawlings investment, the patrons & navy blue investment. at leage 1 level 250k is a decent budget, falkirk have 4 times that. in january league 1 clubs couldhave £25k to spend, falkirk had 6 figures. But its still wrong.

the new board are as much to blame for recent manager appoitment and for january recruitment and for managing the money.  going for goodwillie and being outbid at the last minute, then paying a fortune for griffiths is all on there watch to.

it needs a total clear out of all of them and senior execs at the club. as long as one remains then the bad ways will just carry on.

2 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Yes I agree but It's still a buy out and it's rarely peanuts. Most of our players are on the downward spiral IMO so unlikely to get better elsewhere.

Too many fans think we can just kick under contract players out with no consequence. 

Too many fans (posters) think that we have a magic wand for all sorts of situations!

17 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If the BoD decide to give MR another full season, then the initial impact is going to be huge. It’s the case that the majority of the support now see him as not being anywhere good enough. Can talk a decent game, but can’t get the team to play at anywhere close to an acceptable level, and despite talk of stability, everything he has done since then is the polar opposite of stable.

Swinging the narrative from this to that and back again to this. Actually talking about QPs 7 point advantage and calling it “not insurmountable” and wanting the last game of the season to be a “play off decider” as the good ship FFC slowly begins to slip beneath the waves behind him is little short of insulting tbh.

Yet to witness Rennie talking a good game. I'd go as far as saying Sheerin talked a better game at the start till the real football managers job left him a whimpering wreck.

It's a good job we are not in a relegation battle

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, he's had two seasons in the third tier as a manager and won the league at a canter both times. Falkirk are in a place where they need to stop trying experiments or gambles and just get a manager who knows how to win League One with a full time team and has a track record to prove it.

Of course he's not a long term option for a club in that position as he isn't good enough for the Championship, and that's a test of how stupid Falkirk's new board are. Are they going to think about just building a competent side to get out of League One, or are they putting the cart before the horse and actually believing the shite about having a 'rightful place' or whatever in the Premiership, so will overlook someone like Johnston because he'll never get them there? If they do the latter and obsess about someone's suitability as a long term project for the Championship when they can't even make the playoffs in League One they could easily end up with another impostor like Rennie and get even worse.

Credit to Johnson for two superb 3rd division campaigns but given our position and the league next season will be a different gravy in teams to what he had in both those campaigns.

I wouldn't rule him out tbh but whoever does get our managers job will need to have something about him to turn this mess around.

1 hour ago, Burnsythebinman said:

there must be something badly wrong behind the scenes though.  Falkirks ave gate over the past 5 years is up there with some premiership clubs and that means more money through the door. the rawlings investment, the patrons & navy blue investment. at leage 1 level 250k is a decent budget, falkirk have 4 times that. in january league 1 clubs couldhave £25k to spend, falkirk had 6 figures. But its still wrong.

the new board are as much to blame for recent manager appoitment and for january recruitment and for managing the money.  going for goodwillie and being outbid at the last minute, then paying a fortune for griffiths is all on there watch to.

it needs a total clear out of all of them and senior execs at the club. as long as one remains then the bad ways will just carry on.

We will find out in the next few weeks,  Team management, Full time - Part time - Hybrid, squad size.

The behind the scenes structure will be changed accordingly.

8 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Whatever the model going forward I'd take the financial hit this summer and pay off McKay, Hetherington, Wilson, Ross & Holt 

I’d play Wilson on Saturday just to see if he is any good as a wing/full back. Can’t be as big a shitebag as Williamson and we’ve nothing to lose anyway.

Let’s talk straight here, I like the majority of supporters in Saturdays crowd, left the stadium after witnessing one of the worst performances since supporting the club.

The football was appalling, no effort, no desire, no ownership, no pride, not a care in the world.

Weve been served up this shite for nearly three years and if the BOD honestly want to change the club, we need to empty the incumbents who are robbing the club. 

Failure to do so will inevitably lead to years in the lower divisions of Scottish Football. 

As many have posted, we’ve simply had it. Legions of loyal supporters who have continued to back the club may not keep this going.

This is the crossroads. Keep with what’s here and expect the biggest loss of support which the club has continued to receive, through the last couple of years of utter shite.