The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The first team played a closed-door friendly there in July 2015 which 60s Bairn was probably at. 

Not like you to get your dates wrong. Don`t tell me your "Big book of Falkirk stats" has a mistake in it!!! Better get the tippex oot.😉

It was 2013.

LTaylor scoresvQP2.jpg

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s been gone over before, but our main stand was and is a huge vanity project to give us something akin to a mini Hampden. Having nothing on the east side makes “atmosphere” a far distant concept.

The biggest issue is a relationship with a council that is little better than toxic. I remember way back the Goldies doing everything possible to scupper FFC.

Compare and contrast Livingston bending over backwards to accommodate all sorts of crooks in West Lothian and still doing it today, or Hamilton who actually earn money from their council from renting office space.

How the hell we ever get TFS to look and feel like home, I do not know. It’s never felt that way for me. Even if it’s nothing to do with accommodating football, that east side needs some sort of structure to enclose the place.

For me, Tynecastle is the best stadium in the country.

I know it'll never happen but I'd  have no issue of knocking TFS down, relocating and building something more fitting. TFS looks good from the outside but the lack of East Stand, the open corners and largish gaps between pitch and stands make for a poor experience. 

9 minutes ago, champions said:

I know it'll never happen but I'd  have no issue of knocking TFS down, relocating and building something more fitting. TFS looks good from the outside but the lack of East Stand, the open corners and largish gaps between pitch and stands make for a poor experience. 

Shopping habits are changing, the retail park wont be around forever. Just saying*

*pipe dream, I know.

2 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Selling brockville, our family silver, and then having to rent from falkirk Council is by far the biggest thing that cheeses me off in terms of our past decision making.

until we can find some long term way of buying back the stadium we'll never be in control of our finances and destiny.

Brockville was an asset you could borrow against as security. The club got well and truly screwed by the council in selling Brockville and calling the shots on the stadium build. So screw the council and vacate the office space. There's plenty of premises on the High Street and industrial estates which could be rented for a pittance. Again plenty of locations to train at a pittance turn up to play at the TFS for home games and have nothing else to do with the place.

FFC should have no affinity or affection for the place. Have as minimal involvement as as possible and as I said leave the council to it.

I have to be honest and say I’ve never liked TFS and don’t think I ever will, It has never felt like our home. The main stand was a huge mistake when you look at the size and cost of it. I would have absolutely no issues if the opportunity ever came about for us to relocate away from there.

6 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I have to be honest and say I’ve never liked TFS and don’t think I ever will, It has never felt like our home. The main stand was a huge mistake when you look at the size and cost of it. I would have absolutely no issues if the opportunity ever came about for us to relocate away from there.

Well there's a stadium in Cumbernauld becoming vacant real soon.

Find your comments about your stadium quite interesting. 

It's no Brockville obviously but as an away fan I quite like it. Clinching a league title there probably helps but I've always found it decent atmosphere wise. I'm used to an empty side of a ground too so the lack of a stand alongside the far touchline doesn't bother me. 

It's not perfect but it is a million times better than Clyde, Hamilton and especially Airdrie. I reckon even the very best grounds would feel a bit soulless and bleak when you are kicking about below your natural level. 

TFS has always been a dreadful stadium. It's too big. That there are still (albeit tentative) future plans to develop a fourth stand is utter mayhem. Even a terrace would look absolutely stupid. I think I can probably count on one hand the amount of games where the atmosphere has been good.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Gross negligence in its finest after leaving our home. Don’t know factually too much about the stadium deal and but remember a guy telling us that the council couldn’t lose. Can anyone confirm if all the floors in the main stand are now in use ?

So it's gross negligence in it's finest but you don't know much about the deal?? :rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, Gaz said:

TFS has always been a dreadful stadium. It's too big. That there are still (albeit tentative) future plans to develop a fourth stand is utter mayhem. Even a terrace would look absolutely stupid. I think I can probably count on one hand the amount of games where the atmosphere has been good.

Don't disagree at all but it is what it is and we've just got to live with it.

I'd hope that one of the new board's long-term aims would be trying to work out a deal that would give us total ownership of what we've got so that we can get the thing working for us the way that Hamilton or St Johnstone do.

Whilst we don't need a 4th stand as such it would obviously be far better if we could develop the land in a way that would finish the stadium too, so that would have to be a building that could be used to generate income like a hotel or whatever, maybe with a standing area facing the pitch.

At the age of 64 though I suspect I won't be around to ever see any of that coming to fruition! 

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

It's no Brockville obviously but as an away fan I quite like it. Clinching a league title there probably helps but I've always found it decent atmosphere wise. I'm used to an empty side of a ground too so the lack of a stand alongside the far touchline doesn't bother me. 

It's not perfect but it is a million times better than Clyde, Hamilton and especially Airdrie. I reckon even the very best grounds would feel a bit soulless and bleak when you are kicking about below your natural level. 

Very fair comment.

As for Brockville it was in a great town centre location and the view of the game was good due to how close to the pitch you were but a lot of rose tinted nonsense talked about the old place to be honest.

It was literally falling to bits, being on the Hope St or Watson St terraces when the weather was bad was a grim experience and whilst the atmosphere could be fantastic it could also be very subdued if the match wasn’t up to much.

In an ideal world to finish things off at the ground I'd have a basic terrace on the East side with boxes above over looking the pitch that can cover both hospitality and club offices. Leaving the council to do whatever they want with the main stand and its overheads.

All wishful thinking however.

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

I disagree about the Excelsior, it's an excellent stadium just in the wrong place and the wrong time.

The 3 times I've been there watching Saints the atmosphere was tremendous, especially the Challenge Cup final.