The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I can't see him having dowds future on his mind just now. He needs to win games to try and get us in the mix otherwise if he does stay he's going to have to work with a reduced budget. He'll play the two front men he thinks will win games and that's that.

(Kabia) If he’s fit there’s absolutely no way we can think about having him warming up the bench, I’d stick him in the middle of the park, can’t be any worse than what’s available at present.

48 minutes ago, Springfield said:

(Kabia) If he’s fit there’s absolutely no way we can think about having him warming up the bench, I’d stick him in the middle of the park, can’t be any worse than what’s available at present.

Did dowds not play a wider role at Arbroath?  Thought I read an Arbroath fan saying that but might just be imagining it.🤣

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Ecosse83

Play all 3 up top. Let Griffiths play in the middle and have the other 2 switch a bit and cause havoc. It’s high time we played to the strengths in the team and accept other parts are going to be weaker. 

14 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Play all 3 up top. Let Griffiths play in the middle and have the other 2 switch a bit and cause havoc. It’s high time we played to the strengths in the team and accept other parts are going to be weaker. 

Agree, was only referring to the scenario that Rennie doesn’t go with the three upfront. For me it’s a no brainer. We’ve nine games with nothing to lose. Couldn’t give two Fcks if we lose two/three goals as long as we’re scoring more and winning games.

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Always look back at the Killie away game, huge support high expectations and completely outclassed. Never felt so low after that one.For me it’s went from half decent to a shitefest ever since.

The infamous director interview on TV about 15 mins after the 4-0 drubbing,  and season after season of disappointing nearly ……….

I fully understand the BODs latest press release, but be warned and it’s not rocket science, we need a decent first eleven and don’t give a Fck how we afford it, this is our last chance. 

Totally agree with you on the Killie away game. Bullied mentally and physically on the park that day. Always look back from there and think we have went downhill and turned into a clusterfuck of a club since.

You will need to remind me of the directors interview that day, it turned into a bit of a mess later and memory is a bit hazy

Edited by kemlinbairn

33 minutes ago, kemlinbairn said:

Totally agree with you on the Killie away game. Bullied mentally and physically on the park that day. Always look back from there and think we have went downhill and turned into a clusterfuck of a club since.

You will need to remind me of the directors interview that day, it turned into a bit of a mess later and memory is a bit hazy

Martin Ritchie on finding the correct business model, if I recall we were needing to bring in additional revenue of 300K just to break even each season. 

1 hour ago, kemlinbairn said:

I mind Houstie saying how we needed to get more physicality in the side and then signing Alex feckin Harris.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I mind Houstie saying how we needed to get more physicality in the side and then signing Alex feckin Harris.

I mind Houstie playing and managing us in over 350 games with total passion, commitment, effort and dignity. Maybe it’s my age though and because I’m a nostalgic bugger who thinks very highly of Houstie as a player, coach, manager and man.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Martin Ritchie on finding the correct business model, if I recall we were needing to bring in additional revenue of 300K just to break even each season. 

Not much has changed then, unless we sell a player, get a decent cup run or do one of these concerts the club still has a similar black hole to fill each year. Was one of the reasons Campbell & Lang used for closing the academy as a cost saving measure which ironically then hindered our ability to produce said player sales to fill that financial hole. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I mind Houstie playing and managing us in over 350 games with total passion, commitment, effort and dignity. Maybe it’s my age though and because I’m a nostalgic bugger who thinks very highly of Houstie as a player, coach, manager and man.

Everyone does!

But you can't deny his recruitment went south at a rate of knots from summer 2016.

7 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Not much has changed then, unless we sell a player, get a decent cup run or do one of these concerts the club still has a similar black hole to fill each year. Was one of the reasons Campbell & Lang used for closing the academy as a cost saving measure which ironically then hindered our ability to produce said player sales to fill that financial hole. 

This club has made error after error in the past decade, but closing the academy was simply outrageous. The decision has set us back years. 

Sorry if you’ve seen this already but just want to try and help spread the word about our 1997 reunion night at Behind the Wall. Should be a good night and profits from ticket sales will go to MND Scotland and the Chris Mitchell Foundation.

Please share this to anyone not on social media who you think may be interested in attending. 

This is the link for tickets…

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/legends-lock-in-tickets-255278092647

2 hours ago, kemlinbairn said:

Our race was run in the Hibs games. Killie were all over us in the home game and we were very fortunate to get away with a clean sheet and a late goal (albeit a very well worked one) past that diddy MacDonald. We were running on fumes by the second leg and Magennis was kryptonite to the centre backs we had. 

The next season was an underrated Falkirk team I thought. We had some really good attacking options and strolled to second place fairly easily. We lost two horrendous goals to Dundee United in the semi final second leg which was a proper bottle job with that horror show Watson/Gasparotto centre back combo. Hamilton always get underestimated and I'm about to do it again, but I think we'd have beaten them over two legs. Sibbald was in the form of his life that season and we had a habit of scoring at least once in every game. The aforementioned centre back partnership may have ended up costing us but I'd have given us a better chance than the year before.

Typical Falkirk that we peaked in those years where the Championship was impossible to win, rather than this season for example. It was the same in the top flight when we peaked when the OF, Hearts and Aberdeen were all strong and doing well in Europe. St Johnstone and Inverness for example were a couple of years behind our cycle and benefitted for it for a decade plus when Rangers went bust and the two Edinburgh clubs were a shambles.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Our race was run in the Hibs games. Killie were all over us in the home game and we were very fortunate to get away with a clean sheet and a late goal (albeit a very well worked one) past that diddy MacDonald. We were running on fumes by the second leg and Magennis was kryptonite to the centre backs we had. 

The next season was an underrated Falkirk team I thought. We had some really good attacking options and strolled to second place fairly easily. We lost two horrendous goals to Dundee United in the semi final second leg which was a proper bottle job with that horror show Watson/Gasparotto centre back combo. Hamilton always get underestimated and I'm about to do it again, but I think we'd have beaten them over two legs. Sibbald was in the form of his life that season and we had a habit of scoring at least once in every game. The aforementioned centre back partnership may have ended up costing us but I'd have given us a better chance than the year before.

Typical Falkirk that we peaked in those years where the Championship was impossible to win, rather than this season for example. It was the same in the top flight when we peaked when the OF, Hearts and Aberdeen were all strong and doing well in Europe. St Johnstone and Inverness for example were a couple of years behind our cycle and benefitted for it for a decade plus when Rangers went bust and the two Edinburgh clubs were a shambles.

Pretty spot on.

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Muirhead at right back had an absolute stinker that night too.  If we'd had Peter grant at his best we'd have never lost that second leg.We only lost 4 games all season the year before  with Hibs and rangers in the league. Compare that to Kilmarnock who could win the league having already lost 8 games and Arbroath are blooming top.  Our side that season would've cruised promotion playing today.

Edited by Shadwell Dog