The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

It astounds me that somebody looked at ATS and said he would be an improvement on what we have. I've yet to see him sprint, his hands dangle out in front of him when he runs and his actual use of the the ball is pitiful. He is also a complete shitebag.

Can’t remember if it was on here but sure someone said he was signed after a terrific performance in a friendly with fife neighbours. Watched him at Alloa at very close range, his general positioning and awareness was shocking. 

Of the six brought in, Jaze is a major pleasant surprise, Griffiths is Griffiths, Watson is a steadying influence (I hope), Jevon Mills definitely has something about him, Jacobs hasn’t really been on it, but he hasn’t played a lot of football in the last year, ATS has so far, been the one WTF?

My biggest concern is the ability to play a back three with wing backs effectively, because when it’s McGuffie and Williamson, there isn’t a defensive gene in their bodies. We really can’t be gambling with a “work in progress” system when we need to win half a dozen of our remaining games. Just look at our results against Cove Airdrie and Montrose…..if by some miracle we made the play offs, and beat the 9th placed Championship side, any of the three L1 sides would be stifling a laugh with FFC rocking up with a “same again lads” 3-5-2.

They have beaten that set up so many times this season that they will know how to dismantle it yet again.

I think I said something similar when Sheerin was in charge but, although I am sceptical about Rennie, if we go through the next six games getting 12-14 points or something like that then that will show improvement.

Contrary to what people think, I don't actually want Rennie to fail, nor did I want Sheerin to fail.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Of the six brought in, Jaze is a major pleasant surprise, Griffiths is Griffiths, Watson is a steadying influence (I hope), Jevon Mills definitely has something about him, Jacobs hasn’t really been on it, but he hasn’t played a lot of football in the last year, ATS has so far, been the one WTF?

My biggest concern is the ability to play a back three with wing backs effectively, because when it’s McGuffie and Williamson, there isn’t a defensive gene in their bodies. We really can’t be gambling with a “work in progress” system when we need to win half a dozen of our remaining games. Just look at our results against Cove Airdrie and Montrose…..if by some miracle we made the play offs, and beat the 9th placed Championship side, any of the three L1 sides would be stifling a laugh with FFC rocking up with a “same again lads” 3-5-2.

They have beaten that set up so many times this season that they will know how to dismantle it yet again.

As much as ATS frustrates me, one poor out six is decent movement in the market, particularly January.

I think the one that got away ie midfield is hurting us more than the percentage of buys.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not at all. You see not every club has the same level of budget in this league.  If the team with the biggest budget spends it as well as it possibly could then they will go up.  For instance in the top flight hearts you would say have done pretty well with their budget this season but are still 21 points off Celtic. Not every club has aspirations of going up. Some will be happy just to avoid relegation.  Some will be happy with mid table, some the playoffs others promotion is the only goal.

And then there's Falkirk 🤭🤭🤣🤭🤭

7 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

As much as ATS frustrates me, one poor out six is decent movement in the market, particularly January.

I think the one that got away ie midfield is hurting us more than the percentage of buys.

Agreed. The players brought in ARE better than what was there yet they're not performing as such. I agree that the failure to bring in a midfield anchor is what's fucking us at the moment. The 3-5-2 would be fine IF we had brought in that midfielder.

Next year’s league will be harder to get out of. We’ve potentially going to have Kelty, QOS and Dunfermline coming in and I’m sure a much improved Alloa. Given we’ll have a smaller budget and probably a hybrid setup then it’s looking like we’ve found our level.

What a complete disaster the last few years have been.

7 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm still far from convinced that Rennie is the man for the job.  He's got a lot of work to do between now and may to change that. We don't want another Pressley situation where he failed misey but was simply given the job anyway.

Same here. He's not convinced me at all. Certainly nothing to merit a contract beyond the end of this season. If his remit was to keep us up fair enough, if it was to get us promoted then he's failing miserably. 

5 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The problem is are they the players we were crying out for? Watson is a decent enough defender but not the organiser  we need unfortunately and neither obviously is the young boy from hull.  Jacobs is another midget who will give his all but not the leader and physical presence we need. Up front we are fine although I'm still not sure the money spent on Griffith's wouldn't have been better spent on the afore mentioned defender or midfielder.

3 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Absolutely agree with that. Midfield has let us down big time……and actually, it’s not the players that we have to blame…..it’s our eejit of a SD and Sheerin for landing us with four of the same player, and zero of the type we needed.

1 hour ago, brokeville said:

Next year’s league will be harder to get out of. We’ve potentially going to have Kelty, QOS and Dunfermline coming in and I’m sure a much improved Alloa. Given we’ll have a smaller budget and probably a hybrid setup then it’s looking like we’ve found our level.

What a complete disaster the last few years have been.

Always look back at the Killie away game, huge support high expectations and completely outclassed. Never felt so low after that one.For me it’s went from half decent to a shitefest ever since.

The infamous director interview on TV about 15 mins after the 4-0 drubbing,  and season after season of disappointing nearly ……….

I fully understand the BODs latest press release, but be warned and it’s not rocket science, we need a decent first eleven and don’t give a Fck how we afford it, this is our last chance. 

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Same here. He's not convinced me at all. Certainly nothing to merit a contract beyond the end of this season. If his remit was to keep us up fair enough, if it was to get us promoted then he's failing miserably. 

Presumably his remit was to get us to the playoffs.

As much as I'm not convinced by him I think judging him based on getting us up or not would be very harsh, given the shambles he inherited.

If he get us comfortably fourth or third and performances / results have significantly improved then that's all that can realistically be expected of him.

Always look back at the Killie away game, huge support high expectations and completely outclassed. Never felt so low after that one.For me it’s went from half decent to a shitefest ever since.
The infamous director interview on TV about 15 mins after the 4-0 drubbing,  and season after season of disappointing nearly ……….
I fully understand the BODs latest press release, but be warned and it’s not rocket science, we need a decent first eleven and don’t give a Fck how we afford it, this is our last chance. 
Problem is a decent team on paper does not always equate to a decent team on the park. Some of our current crap have decent enough Cv's

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The problem is are they the players we were crying out for? Watson is a decent enough defender but not the organiser  we need unfortunately and neither obviously is the young boy from hull.  Jacobs is another midget who will give his all but not the leader and physical presence we need. Up front we are fine although I'm still not sure the money spent on Griffith's wouldn't have been better spent on the afore mentioned defender or midfielder.

It’s impossible to say, but it was Griffiths who got us 3 points last Saturday, that’s for sure. Will he be the difference in up and coming games? We shall see.

January is difficult for many reasons, but when you are looking for six players and and two or three leaders as well as fitting instantly into the dressing room (and maybe even improving the mood) then that task makes Holt’s “mission impossible” look like the absolute dawdle that it actually was.

16 hours ago, Gaz said:

Presumably his remit was to get us to the playoffs.

As much as I'm not convinced by him I think judging him based on getting us up or not would be very harsh, given the shambles he inherited.

If he get us comfortably fourth or third and performances / results have significantly improved then that's all that can realistically be expected of him.

Rennie having 9 games hints earlier on about having a consistent first 11 then on the 9th game makes 6 changes, also add the 10th game to break away from a formation that's clearly not been working is what I'm judging him on so far. 

I will also add the one signing that has been 1000% easily our best, he drops to fit in the unfit option.

All far too early to fully judge our winter window signings but I'll be surprised if they make the impact I'd hoped, again a lot determines on Rennie avoiding a 3-5-2 for me to give what we have, a chance of success.

Edited by MrDust

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

Rennie having 9 games hints earlier on about having a consistent first 11 then on the 9th game makes 6 changes, also add the 10th game to break away from a formation that's clearly not been working is what I'm judging him on so far. 

I will also add the one signing that has been 1000% easily our best, he drops to fit in the unfit option.

All far too early to fully judge our winter window signings but I'll be surprised if they make the impact I'd hoped, again a lot determines on Rennie avoiding a 3-5-2 for me to give what he have, a chance of success.

I think from a man management sort of view with dropping Jaze he is looking or hoping to sway Dowds to stay after the cluster that is Holt saying Wilson was an upgrade on hm as well as Ruth, in that sense give him as much game time in the hope to sway his decision to staying when Jaze heads back to Livvy failing that see if we can get Jaze on a season long loan..

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

I think from a man management sort of view with dropping Jaze he is looking or hoping to sway Dowds to stay after the cluster that is Holt saying Wilson was an upgrade on hm as well as Ruth, in that sense give him as much game time in the hope to sway his decision to staying when Jaze heads back to Livvy failing that see if we can get Jaze on a season long loan..

I can't see him having dowds future on his mind just now. He needs to win games to try and get us in the mix otherwise if he does stay he's going to have to work with a reduced budget. He'll play the two front men he thinks will win games and that's that.