The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Also, you cant be seriously telling me you think these ladies would potentially give up playing football for a one shot, 30 second mention on STV News?

I mean, theres no way you believe that?

Sadly their is people who do that. The amount of people supposedly boycotting the major supermarkets because they advertise in the daily mail and yet are still alive as all the major supermarkets do and are still going strongly.

People are principaled when it suits them

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

My take is that he is saying the lassies are not really interested in Goodwillie and they just want a wee bit of publicity.

Shite.

So again, why did it take a media uproar when he signed for Raith for it to then become an issue for them when he has spent the last 4 years or so at Clyde. 

Don't try to say its because they have just suddenly changed their mind and realised how awful his crime was. Everybody knew what he was then and now. 

It shouldn't take some media coverage for folk to make the correct moral decision when its been staring them in the face all that time. How can that not be grasped?

Edited by latapythelegend

I am absolutely delighted to see the backlash against a rapist, and heartened to see that women now feel they will be taken seriously and have their opinions listened to about something like this.

Five years ago they'd have been met with "whatever love, get back in the kitchen" whereas now they have almost overwhelming support.

Again though it's worrying the amount of people who are portraying him as a victim who just wants to get on with his life. The amount of folk who say "he was proven innocent" 🙈

On 01/03/2022 at 12:53, Proudtobeabairn said:

Wouldn't mind seeing what he could offer in place of Williamson, who has been rank rotten the last few games.  

Agree. The boy runs & tackles all day. I hear he's the fittest 1 in the squad. Can't be an worse...

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I am absolutely delighted to see the backlash against a rapist, and heartened to see that women now feel they will be taken seriously and have their opinions listened to about something like this.

Five years ago they'd have been met with "whatever love, get back in the kitchen" whereas now they have almost overwhelming support.

Again though it's worrying the amount of people who are portraying him as a victim who just wants to get on with his life. The amount of folk who say "he was proven innocent" 🙈

And yet look at all the women's football posts on Facebook and is met by that patter.

42 minutes ago, GooseLips said:

Why are you struggling to grasp that these woman now feel empowered and emboldened enough to make a stand after witnessing the support their counterparts in Kirkcaldy received? Amazingly you can’t even see the irony in your posts, it’s accusations of attention seeking, looking for media coverage etc that may have put these teams off speaking out previously.

Was that empowerment not there 6 weeks ago? If they walked out before this kicked off nobody would have questioned it.

I wouldn't stand in the way of any form of progression and promoting the views of woman but FFS it shouldn't take some media coverage for that to happen. 

5 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Was that empowerment not there 6 weeks ago? If they walked out before this kicked off nobody would have questioned it.

I wouldn't stand in the way of any form of progression and promoting the views of woman but FFS it shouldn't take some media coverage for that to happen. 

I have no idea whats in this for you, but think about this... How many of that Clyde ladies team would have joined Clyde after Goodwillie did. Perhaps as teenagers. Would they have been as wordly wise as they are now.... Would they have even known the full story about what he did? How could they have felt in a position to join up then do something like this? 

Honestly I have literally no idea why you would have an issue with a group of people acting in the correct way EVEN IF they previously fell short of that*

*Subjectively speaking of course

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Goodwillie is a despicable c**t who should never be allowed on a football park again and I am so glad we didn’t sign him. I however don’t get why nothing was said/done about him playing for Clyde for the past 5 seasons.

I think several people who simply didn’t go to Broadwoodbthese past five years. It didn’t feel like a boycott as such……people quietly didn’t go. His story slipped from the public consciousness over the years.

As well as the act, the premeditated planning involved in his discharge from bankruptcy coupled to his move to RR…….all carefully thought through so his victim couldn’t get a penny, just exacerbated matters.

Another element brought into focus came from the pictures of him seen playing for Clyde…….sponsored by NL Leisure……which is North Lanarkshire Leisure utilising Council owned amenities. Even now, if you go to the NL Leisure website, the top banner is North Lanarkshire Council………ouch. Hence the sudden moves by the Council to extract themselves from any ongoing complicity.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I have no idea whats in this for you, but think about this... How many of that Clyde ladies team would have joined Clyde after Goodwillie did. Perhaps as teenagers. Would they have been as wordly wise as they are now.... Would they have even known the full story about what he did? How could they have felt in a position to join up then do something like this? 

Honestly I have literally no idea why you would have an issue with a group of people acting in the correct way EVEN IF they previously fell short of that*

*Subjectively speaking of course

I have nothing in this. I just voice my opinion, I respect anybody else who does so. As long as conversation is respectful then conversation is always worth having.

Every player who signed for Clyde whether male or female would have been aware of Goodwillie being at the club and the circumstances surrounding him no matter how vague their knowledge may have been. They wouldn't be long getting the picture.

I have absolutely no issue with people voicing there opinion on the issue and I fully back it. The boy deserves to be out of football for what he done.

My honest opinion is that everybody jumping on the bandwagon now when it is under the spotlight doesn't sit right with me when the same level of uproar and condemnation would have been equally as adequate at any point within the last 4 years and would have been equally supported by me and the vast majority of people.

46 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I have nothing in this. I just voice my opinion, I respect anybody else who does so. As long as conversation is respectful then conversation is always worth having.

Every player who signed for Clyde whether male or female would have been aware of Goodwillie being at the club and the circumstances surrounding him no matter how vague their knowledge may have been. They wouldn't be long getting the picture.

I have absolutely no issue with people voicing there opinion on the issue and I fully back it. The boy deserves to be out of football for what he done.

My honest opinion is that everybody jumping on the bandwagon now when it is under the spotlight doesn't sit right with me when the same level of uproar and condemnation would have been equally as adequate at any point within the last 4 years and would have been equally supported by me and the vast majority of people.

If he had never been transferred to Raith would there be the same amount of uproar?

More than likely everything would have carried on as it has been for the last five years.

As you say he doesn’t deserve to be in football and Clyde should never have given him the opportunity 5 years ago.

Glad that NLC and the ladies team have spoken out against Goodwillie and it now looks like his career is over.  I have no idea why even DGW himself thought it would be a good idea to try and continue playing after the RR outcry.  There was no way going back to Clyde would be the same as before with little or no uproar.  

The fact we had allegedly agreed terms and he had completed his medical with us before Raith offered 10k more at the last minute on 31st will forever be one of the biggest pieces of good luck in our history and almost a monumental disaster for the new guys.  Had that gone through, I think we'd have been done.   

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is nothing like the NB offer in terms of structure. 

My point is that we now have a board run by fans which is the direction the NB bid would have taken us.  As you've said, some of the NB group are now patrons but at a much lower investment.  Could there be a deal to be done that increases those individuals investment either through sponsorship, FSS share purchase or some other route that unlocks the some of the cash they were preparing to invest as part of NB?  

I think FSS is great but we're going to struggle to increase membership much in the short term unless we either face financial oblivion (ie a put up or the club goes out of business scenario) or we start winning again and we ride the good times wave.  

Guest TedCrilly
20 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The fact we had allegedly agreed terms and he had completed his medical with us before Raith offered 10k more at the last minute on 31st will forever be one of the biggest pieces of good luck in our history and almost a monumental disaster for the new guys.  Had that gone through, I think we'd have been done.   

That’s absolutely wild if true.

I believe that I haven’t a clue if we made approaches for him or not.

Anyway, he won’t be at Broadwood on Saturday. Three points. We need three points, not one, not none. We need three points.

4-4-2 and we just might get them. Playing 3-5-2 with Williamson and McGuffie as wing backs doesn’t translate into 5-3-2 when we don’t have the ball. It either becomes 3 v 4 in a breakaway situation, or 6 or 7 back in complete headless chicken mode.

We need something simple and understandable. If Jaze is back, have him as one of the midfield 4, but using his pace to burst through. Clyde haven’t come up against him before, so for Saturday, he LG and Dowds are unknown enemy territory, so let’s get after it.

Have any of you ever known someone that was accused of rape but you know didn’t actually do it?
I do!

He pulled a younger girl than he was, took her home and spent the night with her, the alcohol wore off and she got the “aww naws “ and ran out screaming. The house was like an episode of CSI and he got taken away in a white boiler suit. The PF threw it out but what a time he had, life changing.

Now I’m not for a nano second saying DGW didn’t do it as i wasn’t there and I don’t know him, the co accused or the girl but I think you should get all your ducks in a row before he’s burnt at the stake.

Again though it's worrying the amount of people who are portraying him as a victim who just wants to get on with his life. The amount of folk who say "he was proven innocent" [emoji85]
NLC saying its his lack of remorse or care that's the problem. Just how I feel. People who abuse and don't acknowledge what they have done and don't show feelings for the victim can never be rehabilitated. Bin