The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Where did you get that image?

Because the bstrong thing she is holding is from the early days of corona in NYC and Massachussetts.

https://www.necn.com/entertainment/bethenny-frankel-making-a-mark-in-history-during-covid-19-outbreak/2249389/

Although I see she is sending stuff to Ukraine right enough.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bethenny-frankel-ukraine-attack-russia-aid

It's an image from Medyka in Poland from today, can't remember which site it was on now tbh

Guest Brockvillenomore
8 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

When things improve, I will be there acknowledging it, and hoping for more. The improvements so far (for me) has been the demise of Deans construct in virtually its entirety. I can only imagine what the new Board continue to find under every stone they turn over.

On the pitch, change isn’t happening at the pace we would like, but we have to hope things will improve soon. I can’t buy into any chat of results having improved other than defeats haven’t been as comprehensive as earlier in the season. Now, I am not seeing things as binary. It’s not success or failure. Things can take time.

The breakdown of Q2 and Q3 is interesting because it tells the true story of what has happened, and the parallel between the two is remarkable.

Q2 11 points from the 9 games.

We beat: East Fife, Dumbarton & Clyde

We drew with Peterhead & Alloa

We lost to Cove, Montrose, QP and Airdrie

Q3 11 points from 9 games

We beat East Fife Dumbarton & Alloa

We drew with Peterhead & QP

We lost to Cove, Montrose, Clyde and Airdrie

They are close to being mirror images of one another, and for me, show no improvement so far…….but that’s not to say Q4 won’t be better. Chat that “results have improved & this is what a turnaround looks like” are not backed up by the facts. That’s the objective bit. The subjective bit on performances is up for grabs.

You're looking in the wrong place. Roll the quarters up and  look at the underlying stats. Previous managers record was averages of 1.29 points per game, 1.2 goals scored per game and 1.5 conceded.

Post the window opening MR's averages are 1.56 points per game (20% improvement), 2.1 goals per game (80% improvement) and goals conceded 1.3 per game, an improvement of 13%. Over goals scored / conceded the improvement is nearly 100%.

The trend is unquestionably an upward trajectory, the question is will it be enough......

You'd hope with home games against the three teams above us we'd pick up more than the zero MR managed post window,,,

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

You're looking in the wrong place. Roll the quarters up and  look at the underlying stats. Previous managers record was averages of 1.29 points per game, 1.2 goals scored per game and 1.5 conceded.

Post the window opening MR's averages are 1.56 points per game (20% improvement), 2.1 goals per game (80% improvement) and goals conceded 1.3 per game, an improvement of 13%. Over goals scored / conceded the improvement is nearly 100%.

The trend is unquestionably an upward trajectory, the question is will it be enough......

You'd hope with home games against the three teams above us we'd pick up more than the zero MR managed post window,,,

By mentioning points then I presume you mean league games? If so Rennie’s record stands at 1.4 points per game and Sheerins is 1.38. 

Again, I’m not saying Rennie should be sacked(as I said with Sheerin near the end) but to suggest things have been vastly different in the league is untrue. 

4 hours ago, champions said:

4 4 2 could maybe work?

Gk - mutch 

D - Williamson/wilson, mills, watson, mccan

Cm - Telfer, Jacob's

RM/LM - morrison, kabia

St - griffiths, dowds

With everyone fit that is absolutely the way I would set the team up. If we can squeeze in an upgrade on Jacobs before midnight that would be delightful 

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn09 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on Mills? I think he’s been alright, better than what we have I think not that, that is very hard. His inexperience shows but he will get better with time. 

He actually reminds me a wee bit of Brough……..a bit naive, prone to the odd mistake, and despite being surrounded by mediocrity with Paul Watson his only reliable reference point, he is doing ok, and dare I say it, improving. He could quite quickly become our best defender…….for 9 games.

1 hour ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Going for post window is just muddying the waters. It was MR who made the quarterly claim. As someone said “it’s points that count”, and on that measure, there is no improvement. Look at Q2 and Q3. They are virtually identical. Your goals scored/conceded improvement of nearly 100% has brought us how many more points in Q3 over Q2……..none.

I am no statto, but you are clearly deep into it, but the ones that matter is points, and for the layman, points per quarter is a neat (and accurate) way of assessing it. Being not beaten as badly, but still being beaten by the same teams is perhaps a progress of sorts…….but there’s not enough there to say things are getting meaningfully better. Something like 20 points or more in Q4 would be a meaningful measure.

Its too easy to head down the road of lies, damned lies and statistics.

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So I presume that's it regarding signings. Disappointing as we are still desperately light in the middle of the park . Never mind we've got Gary Miller.

Can’t wait for him to get a one year extension 😬

41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So I presume that's it regarding signings. Disappointing as we are still desperately light in the middle of the park . Never mind we've got Gary Miller.

I guess I was desperately hanging on for a late night midfield rabbit from the hat, but sadly no. You would think that out there somewhere midfielders were available, but none that matched what MR wanted.

That’s fair enough. He said he wouldn’t sign players for the sake of it, they had to bring something better. I think we all saw the “better” bar as being set quite low, so it’s disappointing. In terms of the back 3, he has brought in an entirely new one in the shape of Watson, Mills, and ATS.

In terms of the front line, Dowds Kabia and Griffiths represent a completely new unit too (even though Dowds was ours).

In midfield, we got Kieran Jacobs. Just (probably) one player away from being a competent L1 side.

Defensive discipline (wing backs who are in reality, 90% wing, 10% back) coupled to a central midfield that blows warm and cold (but mostly cold), and it’s not difficult to see where our issues lie.

Maybe the much maligned Jamie Wilson is going to be our saviour…..

48 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I guess I was desperately hanging on for a late night midfield rabbit from the hat, but sadly no. You would think that out there somewhere midfielders were available, but none that matched what MR wanted.

That’s fair enough. He said he wouldn’t sign players for the sake of it, they had to bring something better. I think we all saw the “better” bar as being set quite low, so it’s disappointing. In terms of the back 3, he has brought in an entirely new one in the shape of Watson, Mills, and ATS.

In terms of the front line, Dowds Kabia and Griffiths represent a completely new unit too (even though Dowds was ours).

In midfield, we got Kieran Jacobs. Just (probably) one player away from being a competent L1 side.

Defensive discipline (wing backs who are in reality, 90% wing, 10% back) coupled to a central midfield that blows warm and cold (but mostly cold), and it’s not difficult to see where our issues lie.

Maybe the much maligned Jamie Wilson is going to be our saviour…..

Not the first time a dud has been transformed with a positional change Hughes being a good example. 

14 hours ago, FalkirkBairn09 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on Mills? I think he’s been alright, better than what we have I think not that, that is very hard. His inexperience shows but he will get better with time. 

I think he's looked decent so far, which means he'll probably be dropped when McKay is available again.  

15 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

By mentioning points then I presume you mean league games? If so Rennie’s record stands at 1.4 points per game and Sheerins is 1.38. 

Again, I’m not saying Rennie should be sacked(as I said with Sheerin near the end) but to suggest things have been vastly different in the league is untrue. 

No it isn’t. We are still stinking to watch but we are certainly picking up more points than the previous games with Sheerin at the helm. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
25 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No it isn’t. We are still stinking to watch but we are certainly picking up more points than the previous games with Sheerin at the helm. 

How do you work that out?

Sheerin 22 points in 16 games= 1.375/game

Rennie 14 points in 10 games= 1.4/game

If Rennie was to continue in the same form then another 6 games would give him a total of 22.4 points which would be rounded to 22 points, the exact same as Sheerin!

Regardless of discrepancies in the PPG between the two managers, there is more that remains the same than is different.

We still cant lay a glove on teams above us, we havent climbed into the playoff places, we are still welded to a formation and a style regardless of how a game is unfolding.

0.25 ppg better off doesnt negate being in the same league position, with the same problems, and the same pish fitbaw on a Saturday.