The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

In his last 15 games Sheerin amassed 12 points. 
Rennie has had 9 games since the window opened and 14 points. 
I am not saying it is great far from it but results have improved. 
I will be like this IMO for the last 9 games, some good, some bad, some indifferent. This is not a 5 minute fix

In his last 9 league games Sheerin got 12 points.

In his last 15 league games Sheerin got 21 points!

In all his 16 league games in charge Sheerin got 22 points 

Rennie has had 10 games in charge and got 14 points. 

Before yesterday Sheerin had got more points than Rennie in his first and last 9 league games in charge.. Results haven’t improved. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

23 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

In his last 9 league games Sheerin got 12 points.

In his last 15 league games Sheerin got 21 points!

In all his 16 league games in charge Sheerin got 22 points 

Rennie has had 10 games in charge and got 14 points. 

Before yesterday Sheerin had got more points than Rennie in his first and last 9 league games in charge.. Results haven’t improved. 

Sheerin didn’t get sacked for the performances he had at the start of the season. He was sacked because the performances fell off a cliff and the results were just as bad culminating in a 6-0 defeat to Queens Park. The downward trajectory doesn’t just change because a new manager comes in. When it’s as bad as it was, it takes time to reverse that and I don’t think it has been, which doesn’t help with the poor personnel we have. 

Now I’m not advocating that Rennie gets the job next season, however, I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on the dreadful team he inherited. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Don’t know how many watched the two Bodö v Celtic games. It was maybe the best example in recent times of the importance of the Head Coach role.

It could be argued that man for man, Celtic had the more individually talented players on the park…..or at least, most of them.

The biggest thing was that Brodö didn’t really have a player who dribbled past people, and they didn’t need one because they had teamwork that was miles ahead of anything Celtic could muster. They simply passed their way up the park, and had great awareness of where their team mates would be.

It was players brought through a low budget academy system. None of the players were stars of the show. They simply all did the job that they were expected to do, and which they fully understood. It was an education.

…….oh, and all done in a town with a much smaller population than the Falkirk catchment area.

Very insightful post.

While I might be getting ahead of myself considering that we are currently languishing in league 1 but if / when we return to the championship Falkirk FC would do well to ask the likes of Bodo/Glimt or any other similar successful Norwegian or maybe Icelandic teams if they would be kind enough to let us visit them to study their coaching methods (in fact study everything about how they run their clubs).

You can stick Largs up your arse.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Serious suggestions only please.

Gentleman, the answer is surely staring us in the face. If Rennie decides to return to the States at the end of the season then Kenny Miller  is a shoe in to be appointed as manager with Leigh Griffiths as his assistant. With the Old Firm connection in place we won’t have any problem in recruiting better quality players. The board, for once, deserve great credit for having the  foresight in getting all their ducks in a row in readiness for next seasons successful promotion push.

Sheerin didn’t get sacked for the performances he had at the start of the season. He was sacked because the performances fell off a cliff and the results were just as bad culminating in a 6-0 defeat to Queens Park. The downward trajectory doesn’t just change because a new manager comes in. When it’s as bad as it was, it takes time to reverse that and I don’t think it has been, which doesn’t help with the poor personnel we have. 

Now I’m not advocating that Rennie gets the job next season, however, I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on the dreadful team he inherited. 

Nobody is judging him on that though. What he is being judged on is results, performances, signings, tactics, team selections and ability to change a game. All of which so far are suspect at best.

A comparison that I can’t help but make is that with Dougie Imrie at Morton. Took over a dreadful team after they got fucked 6-1 at home to Inverness he signed 2 players a right back on loan from Hearts and Wilson on a free from Dunfermline after the window ended and he’s completely turned them around. The same poor squad of players that were getting slaughtered under Gus McPherson pretty much and he’s turned their form and season around from a team looking like they were going down to now there’s no chance of that happening. Just shows that if you get the right manager in even if you don’t have a strong squad they are able to get more out of them.

Guest Caractacus Potts
58 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I’m only addressing stats that were wrong and stating that results have not improved. 

Rennie was hired for his ability to turn things around. I’m not saying I want him gone but he has a lot to prove to me that he has what it takes to properly turn things around. 

As for results being just as bad as performances under Sheerin, his last 5 league games he got 7 points. Rennies last 5 he has got 8 points, before yesterday that was 5 points. Performances haven’t been great either. 

Clearly the Queens Park game was the match that done it for Sheerin but given the past 10 games if we got gubbed by Clyde on Saturday then I’m sure the majority of fans will be calling for Rennie’s head. He can’t afford many more bad results, not if performances remain just as bad anyway. 

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Very insightful post.

While I might be getting ahead of myself considering that we are currently languishing in league 1 but if / when we return to the championship Falkirk FC would do well to ask the likes of Bodo/Glimt or any other similar successful Norwegian or maybe Icelandic teams if they would be kind enough to let us visit them to study their coaching methods (in fact study everything about how they run their clubs).

You can stick Largs up your arse.

I totally agree. Be it a “transitional” Roma team or not, the result last time around was Bodö 6-1 Roma. They are certainly doing lots of things right, and this was after selling three of their leading players.

4 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

In Cove’s last 5 games if I’m correct they have 1 win and 4 draws. The win against us. How can 4 other teams manage to get a draw against them and we put in an absolute pitiful performance? 

Because we'd lost before we walked on the park. It's in their heads they're going to lose, reinforced by negative tactics. 

14 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Not to me and I’m sure a lot of other fans it’s doesn’t.

The only thing that matters at the moment is taking 3 points from games.

It does to me, and I’m sure to a lot of other fans it does. Get how pointless your post is? You not being fussed that the Head Coach is prepared to claim something to be true that isn’t……that’s your choice, but it’s not mine.

At the end of the day, it’s numbers/stats that will decide whether or not he is successful. It will be the real numbers, not the ones he chooses to make up.

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Clearly the only sensible solution is to bring John McVeigh out of retirement.

Assisted by Ray Stewart or Tom Hendrie 😆

In all seriousness, I've seen the Scottish FA (Largs) coaching derided more than once on here but it's the envy of many and some of the world's top coaches are alumni. 

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It does to me, and I’m sure to a lot of other fans it does. Get how pointless your post is? You not being fussed that the Head Coach is prepared to claim something to be true that isn’t……that’s your choice, but it’s not mine.

At the end of the day, it’s numbers/stats that will decide whether or not he is successful. It will be the real numbers, not the ones he chooses to make up.

Your getting wound up over something incredibly minor. Let it go ffs. It will be irrelevant when he's back in the US come June.

27 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

And the only number that matters is the points total at the end of the season.

That’s how he will be judged.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, grumpyoldman said:

And the only number that matters is the points total at the end of the season.

That’s how he will be judged.

It’s a key factor but he’ll be judged by more than that. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
27 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:
48 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:
It’s a key factor but he’ll be judged by more than that. 

I remember a very successful Arsenal team that they called Arsenal 1 -0 because that was usually the score. Fans loved them. It's all you need for 3 points

Think anyone would take us consistently winning 1-0 but that’s been far from the case.

When things improve, I will be there acknowledging it, and hoping for more. The improvements so far (for me) has been the demise of Deans construct in virtually its entirety. I can only imagine what the new Board continue to find under every stone they turn over.

On the pitch, change isn’t happening at the pace we would like, but we have to hope things will improve soon. I can’t buy into any chat of results having improved other than defeats haven’t been as comprehensive as earlier in the season. Now, I am not seeing things as binary. It’s not success or failure. Things can take time.

The breakdown of Q2 and Q3 is interesting because it tells the true story of what has happened, and the parallel between the two is remarkable.

Q2 11 points from the 9 games.

We beat: East Fife, Dumbarton & Clyde

We drew with Peterhead & Alloa

We lost to Cove, Montrose, QP and Airdrie

Q3 11 points from 9 games

We beat East Fife Dumbarton & Alloa

We drew with Peterhead & QP

We lost to Cove, Montrose, Clyde and Airdrie

They are close to being mirror images of one another, and for me, show no improvement so far…….but that’s not to say Q4 won’t be better. Chat that “results have improved & this is what a turnaround looks like” are not backed up by the facts. That’s the objective bit. The subjective bit on performances is up for grabs.