The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Problem is that free pass could be spent pissing a sizeable chunk of our budget away and have nothing to show for it. If we end up mid table will there be 1500 quid a week  still available to pay for a decent quality player next season too or is that the rainy day money used up?

It depends really. Like any business, there will be a budget set for the year and you lose it regardless if you spend it or not and this may be the same with the playing budget. 

I’m not really sure why you keep bringing up the fact we’re paying this. We could have signed two other players for the same money who may have had no impact. I believe most thought Griffiths was worth the gamble when he signed. Now that we know what we’ve got, people can’t start deciding it was a bad decision retrospectively. 

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

MR spoke about gaining 14 points in Q3 though. That isn’t true. He has manipulated the numbers by adding a win from a Q2 game to pad out the results of “his” Q3, and he shouldn’t be getting involved in stuff like that.

His spin is based on:

Q1 9 games 14 points.

Q2 8 games 8 points.

Q3 10 games 14 points

That is patently not correct. The real points tally for the 9 Q2 games is 11 points. The real points tally for the 9 Q3 games is 11 points.

He is there til the end of the season at the very least……I have no issue with that, just as I no issue with the scale of the challenge he is faced with.

Trying to spin points gained in the manner he did yesterday was for me, pre-planned, and was 100% the wrong thing to try and do.
He cannot pluck out a win from a Q2 game (even if he was head coach for the game) and add it to 11 points gained from the 9 Q3 games.

I am not screaming for his head……..far from it, but fudging numbers and hoping no-one notices is a path he must not go down. It won’t end well. All he needed to say was Q3 results were stable, and now he hopes to push on and make Q4 the most successful period of the season.

FFS does it really matter that much.

51 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Simon Stainrod was clearly unfit, overweight and well of the pace but his skill and vision more than compensated I believe Griffiths can do the same. Just like Telfer to be effective they need the right players beside them.

The games moved on since those days but Stainrod wasn't unfit, overweight or off the pace but a certain LG is

Stainrod was part of my team in the sixes comp with the police, stripped in front of us and was muscular and had a fair amount of bruises upper body,his game wasn't running it was hold up strength and skill.

LG game previously involved a lot of running, so much so that he at times played wide and of course set piece play. He has lost a yard or so off his game and he is lost without that and has zero similarities to Stainrod 

4 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Genuine question here I’m not trying to be smart or anything. 

What would be enough in your opinion for Rennie to warrant getting the job for next season? Do we need to improve anymore or do you think he should get it next season based on what he has done so far? 

I said a week ago I wasn’t getting too high when we beat Alloa and too low when we lost to Cove. I will judge things in a few weeks time. 

I keep reading people calling him this that and the other. If he was the clown some are saying or useless that others are labelling him with do you think Kenny Miller would put his coaching future in jeopardy by becoming his assistant? Remember he played for him for 18 months. 

I fully understand the frustrations. We are all desperate to see things turning. It was never going to go from where it was to Cove form even with 6 new players. If is not a great watch I agree but we are certainly in pitching for fourth now. Get Morrison, Dowds, Jaz and Griffiths up top and we will score goals between now and the end of the season.  

I believe he is speaking at the FSS meeting in a couple of weeks. I hope people go along. 

4 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Brian Rice seemed to do a pretty good Harry Potter impersonation at Alloa yesterday - he worked with the squad that he inherited and got a draw against the league leaders. It can be done. You're cutting the new board and Rennie far too much slack.

No I ain’t I am being pragmatic and sensible and not forgetting the absolute mess Deans left this club in. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Who wouldn’t want this “decent” manager. I’ve had my fill of Largs finest, up to their arses in badges and framed A4 pieces of shite to say they’ve headed a ball in a straight line and can operate a triangle etc.

There’s not one supporter that wouldn’t give all to see us with a decent manager and a decent squad and promotion this year but being honest it’s increasingly more like next season unless we hit an incredible patch of form which I can’t see with this lot:
We’re in such a Fckn mess and unless we can get someone with a wad of cash that would be able to clear the existing “couldn’t give a toss shitefest” can’t see us getting anywhere near where we need to be. 
Two managers that could do that would be Martindale and McCall. McCall I believe was approached by the club on more than one occasion ( not sure if this bod did) but politely told us no. Martindale seems to be a decent manager but he’s not giving up a SPL for a seaside league. 

Martindale? He will get a gig nowhere else. He is where he is for a very specific reason.

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

So lets get thinking about a new coach then.

I would prefer someone who can motivate, sign the right players and has vast experience. Rather than the usual suspects I'd go for someone like Jocky Scott, or Blobby Williamson maybe. Mark McGhee will be available come the summer too come to think of it.

What suggestions do you all have?

Gordon Dalziel or Billy Stark for me

Someone mentioned earlier that the BOD face a crucial three months, have they really? I’ve just listened to MRs last few post match interviews, and really struggling by his assessments. Has he been told he’s got the gig anyway? Can’t make my up mind up if he's super confident or completely out of touch? 

5 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

FFS does it really matter that much.

Of course it matters. It’s one of the few objective parameters managers are judged by. He was wrong to try and take credit for something he did not achieve. Simple as that.

Don’t know how many watched the two Bodö v Celtic games. It was maybe the best example in recent times of the importance of the Head Coach role.

It could be argued that man for man, Celtic had the more individually talented players on the park…..or at least, most of them.

The biggest thing was that Brodö didn’t really have a player who dribbled past people, and they didn’t need one because they had teamwork that was miles ahead of anything Celtic could muster. They simply passed their way up the park, and had great awareness of where their team mates would be.

It was players brought through a low budget academy system. None of the players were stars of the show. They simply all did the job that they were expected to do, and which they fully understood. It was an education.

…….oh, and all done in a town with a much smaller population than the Falkirk catchment area.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

39 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Of course it matters. It’s one of the few objective parameters managers are judged by. He was wrong to try and take credit for something he did not achieve. Simple as that.

Not to me and I’m sure a lot of other fans it’s doesn’t.

The only thing that matters at the moment is taking 3 points from games.