The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I am getting really old now. As my mate said to me last night, “a decade ago, and this performance would have turned you into a seething mess. Now you just sit and shake your head and laugh at the bad bits.”

This was my reaction last night. I burst out laughing when Peterhead scored.

2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Speaking to 2 of my mates tonight that’s me done for the season. I never thought I’d see the day that they would rather spend the day with the missus than go to the football. 🤦‍♂️

Th always that microcosm of hope you miss something but in reality you know it's it's just death by a thousand cuts. 

37 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I managed a wry smile and a weary shake of the head.

Truly stinking defending.

The strange thing is, the comical defending that leads the goal…..Mutch’s weird effort at kicking the shot away, the defender then slicing it across for the guy to score…..none of the real comic cuts come across on the camera as it did actually being there. We were sat in the Benny T section, so roughly in line with the 18 yard line, and it truly was a laugh/ shake your head in disbelief moment.

My friend is a Celtic ST holder, and I don’t think he bought into my describing some of the goals we had gifted away…..right up until the 9th moment last night.

He had a good laugh at McGuffie trying to take a quick free kick and simply kicking it straight out of play a few yards ahead of himself. Like I said, this season we could probably have a Danny Baker comic cuts video of our very own.

The  other thing my mate couldn’t get was anything resembling a 3-5-2……he tried to work out a shape, but there was none. He pointed out to me that one CB was in a position 5 yards ahead of the second guy who was also 5 yards ahead of the third guy……absolutely no communication or discipline.

He also thought it was just plain weird watching every single Falkirk player back for a corner with absolutely no chance of an out ball.

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I managed a wry smile and a weary shake of the head.

Truly stinking defending.

That defending is what really annoys me. It’s basics. It’s nothing to do with tactics or what the coaches are doing. It’s literally basic stuff that’s expected of any player playing at even a semi professional level

9 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Of course I could be wildly off the mark here (not), but I think you may just have had something to say if we were forced to play Wilson or Ompreon if either Dowds or Kabia were injured. I've a feeling that another striker may have become the most pressing area if that was the case! :rolleyes:

We'd still have been far better off than before the window with either of them up front and could still have brought someone in they didn't have to be on 1500 a week. A loan striker would have done and use that cash to strengthen where we really needed it. Instead we've got a 1500 quid a week striker struggling for a game and our midfield and defence are still shit.

Not often anyone agrees with @Shadwell Dog but I do concerning Griffith. It increasing looks like a mistake.

He's gone from being described as someone who'd score for fun to someone who with better service would score for fun. 

As we have witnessed all season we are not a team renowned for providing that to strikers so unless he regains his sharpness against East Fife, for me, his signing was folly as he'll have same goal tally as Ompreon and Wilson at considerably more expense.

40 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Not often anyone agrees with @Shadwell Dog but I do concerning Griffith. It increasing looks like a mistake.

He's gone from being described as someone who'd score for fun to someone who with better service would score for fun. 

As we have witnessed all season we are not a team renowned for providing that to strikers so unless he regains his sharpness against East Fife, for me, his signing was folly as he'll have same goal tally as Ompreon and Wilson at considerably more expense.

Tell me how he can score for fun without the ball.

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

This was my reaction last night. I burst out laughing when Peterhead scored.

I burst out laughing when we played a ball up the line and it hit off one of our players for a throw in. Summed up the last 5/6 years.

15 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Your argument is nonsense, our supply to ALL of our front players is very poor.

So without addressing that issue, we hired Griffiths on that money to score us goals 🤨

The argument made for exceeding the wage any other player gets was that he should be capable of making - and scoring - his own chances. None of which he looks likely to do in his current state.

40 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

In the modern game which involves high press from the front; can you afford to carry someone of Griffiths fitness and attitude levels? Peterhead were hunting in packs against us but that needs to be bought in from every player and starting from the front. If you’re not in optimal condition then you will struggle no matter what league you’re in. 

Come on, are you trying to say Scottish League One is in the modern game.

It's the utter wilderness  

50 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

He's had the ball. To suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Are you at the wind up? He’s had approximately two hours of football spread across three games and he’s barely had a fkn sniff. Two free kicks from distance and the odd scrap to work with does not constitute having the ball. He was unlucky with a shot he pulled just wide against Peterhead but other than that, he’s been starved of service. He’s an easy target for folk (probably the same ones who sang about Aidan Keena’s massive cock) but it’s absolutely mental questioning his worth given the utter shite he’s surrounded by. Give the guy a chance ffs.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We'd still have been far better off than before the window with either of them up front and could still have brought someone in they didn't have to be on 1500 a week. A loan striker would have done and use that cash to strengthen where we really needed it. Instead we've got a 1500 quid a week striker struggling for a game and our midfield and defence are still shit.

Aye, that's all very well but don't try to deny that you would have been moaning your head off if we had strengthened in midfield but hadn't brought in a striker because you, I and everyone else know that would have been the case.

You will simply moan at something, anything, because that's what you do. I realise that you can't help it but it would be good if you could go and do it somewhere else.

On Griffiths, I personally wasn't too keen on bringing him in because it was likely that he would be expensive and was unlikely that he would have been the same player that left Celtic. However, if, and it's a big if, Rennie can get him properly fit and motivated he'll definitely be an asset as he's shown that he's still got something in the game time that he's had so far. He still has a good touch and, as we saw on Tuesday, hasn't lost his shooting ability. I don't think he's 'struggling for a game', I just think that Rennie's using him as he sees fit. If it was me I'd use him a 2nd half substitute after Dowds and Kabia have tired out defences, although I think he may play from the start on Saturday as Kabia didn't look too fit when he went off.

I'm not sure that any of it makes much difference though as it looks like Putin wants to rule the world!

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

. I don't think he's 'struggling for a game', I just think that Rennie's using him as he sees fit. If it was me I'd use him a 2nd half substitute after Dowds and Kabia have tired out defences, although I think he may play from the start on Saturday as Kabia didn't look too fit when he went off.

Looking at the way Kabia was carried off on Tuesday and the pain on his face as he tried to walk, I'd be very surprised if he is fit soon. Although my fingers are crossed as he has been the one shining light in Rennie's signing spree.

......and I know this one is going to get pelters, but I would play Ompreon as a wing back or wide player on the right....not as a centre forward. He had the full back on toast earlier in the season(Dumbarton or Airdire ? when Morrison was absent) and slung in some good crosses on one of his rare starts, until they kicked him off the park before half time.  Might be worth another chance in this position from the start on Saturday just to check if it was a one off  ?

Guest TedCrilly
21 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

He's got a bad injury I'm sure and would struggle to see any game time before the end of the season.

He’s played 4 games for Morton since leaving Dunfermline. Obviously a 6 month gamble but a cheap one and a position we desperately need.

4 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

He’s played 4 games for Morton since leaving Dunfermline. Obviously a 6 month gamble but a cheap one and a position we desperately need.

Fair enough. Was sure I had heard he was injured at the time of leaving Dunfermline otherwise I agree that he would have been someone I wanted to play with us.

54 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Looking at the way Kabia was carried off on Tuesday and the pain on his face as he tried to walk, I'd be very surprised if he is fit soon. Although my fingers are crossed as he has been the one shining light in Rennie's signing spree.

......and I know this one is going to get pelters, but I would play Ompreon as a wing back or wide player on the right....not as a centre forward. He had the full back on toast earlier in the season(Dumbarton or Airdire ? when Morrison was absent) and slung in some good crosses on one of his rare starts, until they kicked him off the park before half time.  Might be worth another chance in this position from the start on Saturday just to check if it was a one off  ?

Ompreon is absolutely shite. And I mean at football in general. If we doing something like that I'd give Wilson a shot at rwb. Awful at finishing which is why he gets slated as a forward. Always thought it was just his horrific finishing that let him down. Ompreons first touch is going out the park