The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Just watched the interview and not sure what game he was watching with his analysis.
We were told by the new BOD in newsletter that we are trying everything possible for the play offs and a chance of promotion. With that in mind, listening to Rennie, he’s either

1.super confident we can still achieve

2.already has the backing of the BOD to rebuild in summer

3. Or simply completely out his dept 

i'll take option 3 please

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

Do you think it is really beyond comprehension that a manager can be identified as being hopelessly out of his depth after only a couple of months?

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely not, no.

So if you acknowledge that it is perfectly possible for a manager to quickly identify themselves as not being up for the job relatively quickly, then surely you have to also admit that it's possible for a club to f**k up its manager appointments several times in a row, as we have?

We have went into the most challenging few years of our recent history appointing a succession of managers with absolutely no* managerial experience. It's been obvious fairly early on that none of them were cut out for it.

We punted Hartley after three games when it was obvious his summer policy had failed miserably. No-one ever shouts that he should have been given more time, yet we persevere with rookie managers when it's obvious they're hopelessly out of their depth.

*I'm aware Rennie has managerial experience but not in Scotland. He doesn't have the in-depth knowledge of the Scottish leagues, particularly the lower leagues.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

So if you acknowledge that it is perfectly possible for a manager to quickly identify themselves as not being up for the job relatively quickly, then surely you have to also admit that it's possible for a club to f**k up its manager appointments several times in a row, as we have?

We have went into the most challenging few years of our recent history appointing a succession of managers with absolutely no* managerial experience. It's been obvious fairly early on that none of them were cut out for it.

We punted Hartley after three games when it was obvious his summer policy had failed miserably. No-one ever shouts that he should have been given more time, yet we persevere with rookie managers when it's obvious they're hopelessly out of their depth.

*I'm aware Rennie has managerial experience but not in Scotland. He doesn't have the in-depth knowledge of the Scottish leagues, particularly the lower leagues.

Barry Ferguson is looking for a new club to destroy.

Looks like he's too late then 🤣

So next season we are going to need entirely new strikers, some competent midfielders, defenders who can actually defend and maybe we could stick with Mutch as we don't want to replace the entire team.

Probably a manager too.

Can't wait....

I just can't fathom the logic that we stick with a manager completely out his depth because... we've previously punted managers completely out their depth?

That makes absolutely no sense to me, but worryingly seems to be what loads of folk believe.

11 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Whatever strike force we manage to muster up next season, it will not be as good as Griffiths, Dowds, Kabia. 

Sobering thought on what’s ahead. Massive Strategic change required. Yes burst the bank (privately or our major shareholders) approach someone like Jack Ross and give him the keys to the building. I would gladly back this up and even if the plan would be two/third year I’m sure the club would be supported. Can’t go down the route of last five years or we won’t have a support or a club to support. Two players looked like they cared last night, absolutely appalling.

15 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Sobering thought on what’s ahead. Massive Strategic change required. Yes burst the bank (privately or our major shareholders) approach someone like Jack Ross and give him the keys to the building. I would gladly back this up and even if the plan would be two/third year I’m sure the club would be supported. Can’t go down the route of last five years or we won’t have a support or a club to support. Two players looked like they cared last night, absolutely appalling.

I agree the summer and appointments/recruitment of players is probably going to make or break our future as a club. If we get it wrong again we are probably humped for a long time if that isn’t already the case. It will be interesting to see the ST numbers, a decent manager and some signings early doors could make the difference. I don’t think Jack Ross would touch us with a barge pole just now.

Last night was awful but I feel to say only two players looked like they cared is a tad harsh. I though Kabia, Mutch, Mills and Dowds were okay but the rest were utter shite.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

On 17/12/2021 at 16:52, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

It’s getting to the stage that Rennie should just depart and let Miller take over for the rest of the season, certainly can’t get any worse!

Be very careful what you wish for. Rennie is getting all the flack but this situation has Kenny Miller written all over it. Came to Livingston and all of a sudden we were trying to play ( very unsuccessfully ) from the back. Attempted to break up a team that had just been promoted to the premier league to play his way with complete disaster. Luckily he was found out quickly and binned.Looks to me as if Miller has been bending Rennies  ear to get his philosophy forced on the team.

We are again being subjected to a inexperienced manager with "a way of playing" and it doesn't matter if that way works or not. How a manager can watch that second half and not change the formation is ridiculous. The gaps in midfield have been obvious in the Montrose, Cove and last nights game. Teams just run through us - we give them space everywhere on the park. Nonody can put a tackle in worth mentioning. Peterhead looked more comfortable and assured on the ball, they passed round about our team and harrassed our players whenever we had the ball. I was angriest ive been in a while leaving that game last night. Still not really calmed down. We are awful. How Rennie can stick that formation after recent weeks is unbelievable.

1 hour ago, TedCrilly said:

It’s definitely a recruitment issue rather than a lack of budget. Airdrie signed McCabe, Easton and McInroy during the summer who would all sleepwalk into our midfield. McInroy obviously a loan signing but the other two will be on a weekly wage that is well within our budget. Murray is also a far better manager than our crop meaning he gets the best out of the squad and has signed players with a purpose to the squad.

Case in point being Leon McCann, who was quite easily the best left back in the league within the wonderful world of Murray-ball.

I may be coming across as a "guid fitba man" here, but IMO having a way of playing only works for coaches who have an unlimited amount of funds / resources to recruit exactly who they want. Hence why managers at AAA+ clubs have ways of playing - they can identify players that fit their system and just, well, buy them.

At our level, you don't have those choices. Ergo, you sign the best players available to you and find a system to fit them.

1 minute ago, Ross B said:

We are again being subjected to a inexperienced manager with "a way of playing" and it doesn't matter if that way works or not. How a manager can watch that second half and not change the formation is ridiculous. The gaps in midfield have been obvious in the Montrose, Cove and last nights game. Teams just run through us - we give them space everywhere on the park. Nonody can put a tackle in worth mentioning. Peterhead looked more comfortable and assured on the ball, they passed round about our team and harrassed our players whenever we had the ball. I was angriest ive been in a while leaving that game last night. Still not really calmed down. We are awful. How Rennie can stick that formation after recent weeks is unbelievable.

The midfield problems are so obvious  to everyone except the management team and of course has a huge influence on both   attack and defence. Hopefully you don't do something daft and get a loan signing in before Saturday!Would even fancy our midfield vs your  no 6 and the very wee guyMcGuffie..

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I may be coming across as a "guid fitba man" here, but IMO having a way of playing only works for coaches who have an unlimited amount of funds / resources to recruit exactly who they want. Hence why managers at AAA+ clubs have ways of playing - they can identify players that fit their system and just, well, buy them.

At our level, you don't have those choices. Ergo, you sign the best players available to you and find a system to fit them.

i agree, it's all about winning at the end of the day, no matter how you do it. 

2 minutes ago, Ross B said:

We are again being subjected to a inexperienced manager ...

Inexperienced in Scottish football but a CV that trumps many. 

I think the Rennie situation has got to come to a head but it's the personnel not the formation at fault here. 

He can be criticised for the recruitment - along with others - but if your midfielders aren't prepared to run, harry and jockey then no formation will succeed. 

Evident at Peterheads goal the lack of dig and desire to win the ball back from Nesbitt, the original culprit with a loose pass; Telfer giving up the chase and Miller retreating which pretty much invited then onto the defence.

It's not silky footballers we need but jobbers at least willing to do the dirty work.

12 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

The midfield problems are so obvious  to everyone except the management team and of course has a huge influence on both   attack and defence. Hopefully you don't do something daft and get a loan signing in before Saturday!Would even fancy our midfield vs your  no 6 and the very wee guyMcGuffie..

No they are well aware of the midfield issues but have not managed to get personnel in they want 

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

No they are well aware of the midfield issues but have not managed to get personnel in they want 

It’s a shame Rennie isn’t aware how bad his formation and style of play is. Not to mention his poor and quite frankly bizarre substitutions. Guys useless! 

Edited by Ecosse83

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

A mix between the both I think. McKinnon's first season down here being an obvious argument against your method.

One of the main complaints that season being that it was a squad of individuals as opposed to a team.