The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, MrDust said:

When someone in any profession admits they don't know if they can fix it more than once, then they should not be in the job they hold.

Hence why his job became untenable, poor form, no change and a complete thrashing. 

Won’t matter what Rennie says if lessons don’t seem to be getting learned on the pitch and if we were to get thrashed tomorrow night then the tide will change massively on him. That’s just football. 

53 minutes ago, kiddy said:

The guy's arrived at the beginning of the window, having spent 10+ years coaching abroad. Trying to scrape signings, out of free agents/players released & loans at this time of year is hard enough, without this sides current predicament.
Folk like you are best ignored.

Well then we should've brought someone in with more experience of managing in Scotland FFS.  We've signed a striker on 1500 quid minimum a week to get mid table in league one and get pumped off cove and some folk seem quite happy about that. What's the point if as you say we are having to scrape together the rest of the signings and shouldn't expect the manager to be able to get us competing after bringing in 6 players and dowds. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

He has had a good transfer window considering how difficult it must be to attract good players to a club largely perceived to be a shambles.

The new BoD have a huge task to not only get the club back on solid footing but to project competence to the outside world.

Recruiting Watson, Kabia, Jacobs and Griffiths would have been good business at any time whilst we are at this level.

I would like to see the youngster from Hull get game time and obviously we still need a ball winning midfielder.

We failed to address the real issues though in the complete lack of leaders on the pitch. That should've been the number one priority. Getting a defender and midfielder in that can give the others playing around them confidence . To really make a fist of it we needed those types of players not a striker on 1500 quid a week .

If the opposition have a corner kick, and we have Griffiths, Kabia and Dowds on the half way line, how many opposition players would be in our half for the corner kick? The brave ones would have four in the box, and one outside it.

Five of them would be back on the half way line.

My concern that there was absolutely no attempt to upset the apple cart on Saturday. It looked like a very real case of being beat before a ball was kicked, and then bemoaning the performance afterwards, when clearly, what he put on the park on Saturday was an attempt at damage limitation.

The real quality we possess is in our front three. Play them. No doubt Kloppe has been told in the past that it’s madness to play with a front three, and Mané, Salah and Firmino can’t be on the park at the same time.

Here we are 12 levels down, and no doubt the same is being said about Griffiths, Dowds and Kabia. For heaven’s sake, try and make it work.

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If the opposition have a corner kick, and we have Griffiths, Kabia and Dowds on the half way line, how many opposition players would be in our half for the corner kick? The brave ones would have four in the box, and one outside it.

Five of them would be back on the half way line.

My concern that there was absolutely no attempt to upset the apple cart on Saturday. It looked like a very real case of being beat before a ball was kicked, and then bemoaning the performance afterwards, when clearly, what he put on the park on Saturday was an attempt at damage limitation.

The real quality we possess is in our front three. Play them. No doubt Kloppe has been told in the past that it’s madness to play with a front three, and Mané, Salah and Firmino can’t be on the park at the same time.

Here we are 12 levels down, and no doubt the same is being said about Griffiths, Dowds and Kabia. For heaven’s sake, try and make it work.

Remember Gordon Strachan talking about lessons he learned in football and this was even after his time at Celtic where he had already been in the management game for many years. He said you should always adapt your formation to the players at your disposal. Not sure why it took him so long to learn that as seems pretty obvious from the outside.

That’s exactly what Rennie has to do, as you say. Dowds, Kabia and Griffiths and Morrison are our 4 best players. CM is out but the other 3 have to start. 

Remember when McCall started Sammy, Coyle and Miller vs Hearts. Can you imagine many modern managers being that brave?

Edited by Caractacus Potts

54 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We failed to address the real issues though in the complete lack of leaders on the pitch. That should've been the number one priority. Getting a defender and midfielder in that can give the others playing around them confidence . To really make a fist of it we needed those types of players not a striker on 1500 quid a week .

Who says it wasn’t the priority? I’m pretty sure they’ll have tried to get that type of player in

6 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Who says it wasn’t the priority? I’m pretty sure they’ll have tried to get that type of player in

That's the constant story though unfortunately. We need to change that to get out of this league. We've failed to get the players we need in window after window after window . You'd surely think that if we're able to offer wages of 1500 quid a week we could've got a decent centrehalf or centre mid in who can lead by example instead of signing LG.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Remember Gordon Strachan talking about lessons he learned in football and this was even after his time at Celtic where he had already been in the management game for many years. He said you should always adapt your formation to the players at your disposal. Not sure why it took him so long to learn that as seems pretty obvious from the outside.

That’s exactly what Rennie has to do, as you say. Dowds, Kabia and Griffiths and Morrison are our 4 best players. CM is out but the other 3 have to start. 

Remember when McCall started Sammy, Coyle and Miller vs Hearts. Can you imagine many modern managers being that brave?

Telfer is a far better player than Morrison imo

Will be interesting tomorrow to see what's changes, if any, are implemented from Saturday.

It was said a few weeks ago when Watson signed that defending starts from the front and yet our backline appears as exposed as ever.

As we can all see that means the midfield isn't doing it's job and that needs rectified.

Peterhead are fighting for their survival and our midfielders will need to break up their possession and snuff out the hope they will come with. It's evident we need to work harder out of possession as Saturdays poorly conceded goals show.

If MR doesn't know or realise his best team by now he and the BoD need to clarify the intention for next season managerially as to me, the players and manager no longer have "skin in the game" and our season ends in a whimper.

Guest TedCrilly

I may be in the minority but I think both Telfer’s ability and attitude/lack of desire are being wildly exaggerated both ways here. He’s technically a good player who should be in the Championship but he doesn’t have the physical attributes to go further, imo. I also don’t doubt he gives 100% either. He goes missing in games but with our incredibly unbalanced midfield that’s pretty easy to do. Application in games could be better but I never feel it’s down to a lack of effort. If anything he’s doing too much in a deeper role to affect games as he should be.

Edited by TedCrilly

4 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

I may be in the minority but I think both Telfer’s ability and attitude/desire are being wildly exaggerated both ways here. He’s technically a good player who should be in the Championship but he doesn’t have the physical attributes to go further, imo. I also don’t doubt he gives 100% either. He goes missing in games but with our incredibly unbalanced midfield that’s pretty easy to do. Application in games could be better but I never feel it’s down to effort. If anything he’s doing too much in a deeper role to affect games as he should be.

Sorry disagree, not questioning his ability in any way, but stand by my post. Maybe he should watch a Crunchie video……..

I've noticed we bring 11 men back to defend at corners and it gets right on my tits for the following reasons:
1. If we clear it there is no outball, or any chance to counter attack. Therefore it's getting recycled straight back in to our box for a free second hit 
2. We are a small team, we'd be much better off leaving one of Griffiths/ Telfer/ Morrison/ McGuffie etc up the park and making the opposition leave another player back. 
I don't mind Rennie making mistakes with team selection or getting every signing bang on the money at this early stage but the above is absolutely schoolboy stuff. Get it sorted Martin

was there anyone on the front post though

5 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I've noticed we bring 11 men back to defend at corners and it gets right on my tits for the following reasons:

1. If we clear it there is no outball, or any chance to counter attack. Therefore it's getting recycled straight back in to our box for a free second hit 

2. We are a small team, we'd be much better off leaving one of Griffiths/ Telfer/ Morrison/ McGuffie etc up the park and making the opposition leave another player back. 

I don't mind Rennie making mistakes with team selection or getting every signing bang on the money at this early stage but the above is absolutely schoolboy stuff. Get it sorted Martin

We used to do the same through Housties time as well.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Two of our biggest games that will shape our season, let’s hope we get a vast improvement…….here’s bloody hoping 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. You have still not sorted your midfield and if you try to play thro that midfield that is madness. Also midfield imo is Peterhead’s strongest area of the team  with Brown there. Therefore I cant see there being any change,  ie another  loss.  Hope i am wrong , as want them no further  away from us after tomorrow’s game!

Edited by Its not only a game