The Falkirk FC Thread

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Ian Murray has managed Airdrie for 3 or 4 seasons and hasn't managed to promote them. Do you think Falkirk fans would give him that long? Not a chance! 

Airdrie are currently a league one set up basically though. Few hundred fans a week and very limited budget. Getting them in the championship is over achieving.  At Falkirk we shouldn't need an over achiever just someone who can use the resources  we have properly.  That's what makes it even more unbelievable where we are and how we continually seem to get managers in that can't even seem to do the average job that's required.

I had a look at Rennie's stats there and (if they're accurate) his win rate is 44% over the various clubs that he's managed. I'd assume that a large portion of those wins too would have come closer to the end than the beginning of his tenure so I think we should stick with him next season, assuming he wants to be here, to give him the chance to bring in his own players. From what I've seen so far I'd be confident that he would improve us if given that opportunity.

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye, it's definitely just that small handful of people.

There's that delusion again.

Are you really as stupid as you come across? Just get tae f**k back to your own forum and find someone your own age to chat to there. Give everybody a break from your teenage psychology insights.

14 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I had a look at Rennie's stats there and (if they're accurate) his win rate is 44% over the various clubs that he's managed. I'd assume that a large portion of those wins too would have come closer to the end than the beginning of his tenure so I think we should stick with him next season, assuming he wants to be here, to give him the chance to bring in his own players. From what I've seen so far I'd be confident that he would improve us if given that opportunity.

Surely there would be less wins towards the end or he wouldn't be getting sacked at clubs or am I missing something here?

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I agree. I wrote earlier that he has zero charisma, and is an autocrat, and when an autocrat gets it right, it tends to be more stable and long lasting. I presume he wanted Leigh Griffiths, and so the club have stumped up accordingly. Thing is, Griffiths really isn’t the magic promotion bullet when midfield and defence are still dishwater weak.

His character doesn’t scream out “Mr Instant Fix”, so other than avoiding relegation, I think it’s fair to then question the January window signings, because clearly most of them haven’t made a great deal of difference.

At this point, his report card would say “Guaranteed no free fall to L2, but not a snowball in hell’s chance of being promoted either.” 

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I’ve seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest he should be here next season tbh.

If bringing in 7 isn’t giving him the chance to bring in his own players I don’t know what is.

I hope we do improve between now and the end of the season as the new signings bed in, but I think it would be grossly premature to offer him an extension at this stage tbh.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, you could argue that but Falkirk fans still wouldn't give him 4 years to get us promoted.

Ian Murray is getting the absolute maximum out of his Airdrie squad on a pittance of a budget compared to what we are spending. Give him the kind of cash that has been handed to various substandard management teams over the past few seasons and he sure as hell would not be taking four years to get us promoted from this league, or anything like it. He's well and truly had our number for three consecutive seasons now. Doing an excellent job. Would have him here in a heartbeat.

The BOD have been in the door for a few weeks and so has R&M. No doubt tirelessly getting a firm hold of whatever the immediate requirements are in stabilising the club.

The appointment of R&M was probably a best fit for both parties, especially with Rennies first gig in Scottish football. Like all managers signings don’t always work out, but the signing of Kabia Griffiths Watson are decent for this level.
No one knows how many players we may have targeted but been told we’re a hire and fire outfit, but that’s where we are at present.

I’ve not been overly critical but R&M got it wrong against CR. Our positional play was so poor and CR simply had a good training day if being honest.

The general attitude witnessed on Saturday could be a one off, but this has been inherent for so long. We should know our fate by the end of March with four or so games to go., like every single supporter I cling on to the hope we can make it, but as said in earlier post the grim reality is apart from one win we can’t beat any the top four so far……

Edited by Springfield

34 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The BOD have been in the door for a few weeks and so has R&M. No doubt tirelessly getting a firm hold of whatever the immediate requirements are in stabilising the club.

The appointment of R&M was probably a best fit for both parties, especially with Rennies first gig in Scottish football. Like all managers signings don’t always work out, but the signing of Kabia Griffiths Watson are decent for this level.
No one knows how many players we may have targeted but been told we’re a hire and fire outfit, but that’s where we are at present.

I’ve not been overly critical but R&M got it wrong against CR. Our positional play was so poor and CR simply had a good training day if being honest.

The general attitude witnessed on Saturday could be a one off, but this has been inherent for so long. We should know our fate by the end of March with four or so games to go., like every single supporter I cling on to the hope we can make it, but as said in earlier post the grim reality is apart from one win we can’t beat any the top four so far……

Dropping kabia was simply an utterly mindboggling decision. Pace kills sides in this league and he has it in abundance.  The fact you've then got Mr invisible hetherington on the park just compounds the issue.  Play a formation that allows you to put the most of your decent players on the park and keeps the dross to a bare minimum.

15 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dropping kabia was simply an utterly mindboggling decision. Pace kills sides in this league and he has it in abundance.  The fact you've then got Mr invisible hetherington on the park just compounds the issue.  Play a formation that allows you to put the most of your decent players on the park and keeps the dross to a bare minimum.

Was trying to keep as positive as possible with post, but your bang on. Hetherington was simply abysmal, ATS same and the overall attitude of the players was shocking. A mate said to me that the players downed tools on Saturday, not sure but beginning to think we’ve got unrest in dressing room….   

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Was trying to keep as positive as possible with post, but your bang on. Hetherington was simply abysmal, ATS same and the overall attitude of the players was shocking. A mate said to me that the players downed tools on Saturday, not sure but beginning to think we’ve got unrest in dressing room….   

Totally agree. Watson seemed to feel the the fans pain. Rennie certainly did not. Change is needed now to prepare us for next season.

1 minute ago, 1876 ffc said:

Totally agree. Watson seemed to feel the the fans pain. Rennie certainly did not. Change is needed now to prepare us for next season.

Possibly the most stupid post that I have seen on here for many a moon.

Do you want your pals back in the Boardroom as well?

26 minutes ago, 1876 ffc said:

Absolutely agree.

Rennie's had 8 league games and we have 11 left therefore we need to get a new manager in now so that we can sack him after another 8 games and the new new guy will still have 3 games left to prepare for next season!

Guest Caractacus Potts

Just to add in a bit wee bit objectivity to assess Rennie’s short tenure to the rest of our recent managers these are the stats for the first 8 league games in charge…

w    D    L     GF     GA 

MR.  3     1    4      16     12

PS.   3     1    4       11      10

MM  5    3    0       20    5

RM   2    1     5       4      9  

PHa 1     3    4       6      15

Make of it what you will. Rennie certainly not had the worst of starts but well short of Miller and McCracken at the moment. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Yesterday we played against a team who are top of the league on merit They have a settled side who have developed as a unit. We on the other hand are a team that has been recently assembled to help us from possible problems. We were never going to beat them at this stage and we will struggle against Airdrie too. All we can hope for is a gradual improvement and hope we can fire on to the play offs.

Getting pissed off with this six game turnaround some folk are expecting.

Ian Murray has taken 3+ years to get Airdrie into shape & it's taken Dick Campbell longer at Arbroath.

Those old enough will remember it took Falkirk 3/4 years to swing it round in the 70's, without changing manager 2x a season, so instant teams are a complete rarity.

12 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Getting pissed off with this six game turnaround some folk are expecting.

Ian Murray has taken 3+ years to get Airdrie into shape & it's taken Dick Campbell longer at Arbroath.

Those old enough will remember it took Falkirk 3/4 years to swing it round in the 70's, without changing manager 2x a season, so instant teams are a complete rarity.

I don’t think people are expecting miracles tbh. To be frank it shouldn’t take 4 years to get a Falkirk team capable of competing in league 1.

We’d have been as well giving M and M or Sheerin ‘more time’ if that expectation is too ambitious.