The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm involved in FSS and this is my own opinion not the organisations.

There is no doubt that increases in membership follow good news stories eg Holt going led to a spate of sign ups. My guess is that many more people will join up when (if) we start winning again. There is huge disillusionment around the club - we have lost c. 500 - 750 off the gate from the start of the season.

The FSS first trench of money was paid in (£6k) and will be given to the club each quarter. There should be news soon about the B4L I hope. There are elections for the committee and the Board Members coming up and anyone who is a member by 11 Feb can vote/stand. The more people who stand for election the better - the point of FSS is to be democratic and accountable.

As for publicity - social media eg Facebook, Reddit, etc is the main outlet but we have handed out 2,000 leaflets at home games and have other printed standing orders for those who don't want to sign up online. There are regular email updates about what is happening which are sent to members and then a few days later put up on the website. If you go to https://falkirksupporters.org/#about then you can see what has been happening. Additionally if you want to join or know someone who wants to join then please send them this link: https://falkirksupporters.org/subscribe/

Thanks for the comments on FSS membership and marketing.  First a personal comment - I do hope we'll get our numbers up to several times where we are now, but I still don't think 330+ (and the 165 - less overlap and opt-outs from B4L) takes it well over 400 in the first 2 months of operation.  Maybe I'm unambitious but I think that's a good start.

The poster above has mentioned how we've communicated.  There has also been a couple of Falkirk Herald articles, several programme articles and stuff on the official website and social media channels.  I spoke at the AGM too.

Of course we need more and better comms, though, so I'm not for a second being defensive.  Yes to a Twitter account - we don't have that yet.  We could put out more on Facebook.  And we need to find better ways of reaching people who aren't on social media and/or rarely use the interweb.  All very fair points.

I do hope we get good people with ideas stepping up for the elections.  It's crucial we have people with the skills and enthusiasm to get this right.  There are currently 9 of us on the cttee and it can be a slog sometimes.  And don't forget we're just a steering committee to get it off the ground - it's up to the wider Bairns support what direction it goes in next.

Really welcome the debate and ideas though.

3 hours ago, Brockvillenomore said:

Hope so @StuartA and thanks also to @Dawson Park Boy. I see positive input and communication from FSS but worryingly zero from BFL. Arguably the exact opposite tbh.  It sounds like contact details of the BFL members haven’t been shared with FSS? Is this right? This is worrying as there’s elections for various roles (including the main board positions) due within a matter of weeks and it looks like my automatic membership of FSS isn’t in my place? What can I do about this? 

Thanks.  We're just waiting for BFL to canvass their members on FSS membership.  For GDPR reasons, BFL will ask their members if they want to opt out of FSS membership, rather than just presume everyone wants to take it up.  We need this to happen so BFL members can participate in the election.  The cut-off date is 11 February.

I'd say contact the BFL committee to chivvy it along.  I'd love to just add people, but we don't have the details and confirmation, so are a bit powerless until we get the list.

14 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Thanks for the comments on FSS membership and marketing.  First a personal comment - I do hope we'll get our numbers up to several times where we are now, but I still don't think 330+ (and the 165 - less overlap and opt-outs from B4L) takes it well over 400 in the first 2 months of operation.  Maybe I'm unambitious but I think that's a good start.

The poster above has mentioned how we've communicated.  There has also been a couple of Falkirk Herald articles, several programme articles and stuff on the official website and social media channels.  I spoke at the AGM too.

Of course we need more and better comms, though, so I'm not for a second being defensive.  Yes to a Twitter account - we don't have that yet.  We could put out more on Facebook.  And we need to find better ways of reaching people who aren't on social media and/or rarely use the interweb.  All very fair points.

I do hope we get good people with ideas stepping up for the elections.  It's crucial we have people with the skills and enthusiasm to get this right.  There are currently 9 of us on the cttee and it can be a slog sometimes.  And don't forget we're just a steering committee to get it off the ground - it's up to the wider Bairns support what direction it goes in next.

I might be stating the obvious but would a wee speech at half time at a home game be worth doing?

A facebook or twitter post will attract a few hundred views within an hour possible - many of which people will just flick passed. If you do a half time speech then you have a captive audience of 3000+ straight away.  Maybe get the FFS guys doing a wee 10 second challenge to get peoples attention and have a bit of a laugh and strategically do it during a game we are actually winning! (i know, i know...). You spoke very well at the AGM Stuart but that wasn't necessarily accessible to your average fan who only attends at 3pm on a Saturday and the speech naturally won't come across as passionately on a leaflet 

Just a thought. 

Theres several circumstances which have impacted the number signing up, especially Covid which has kept fans away from normal routines. However take tomorrow, even with the changes Rennie has made, the majority of fans attending will probably accept anything other than a defeat as good and acceptable. 
Unfortunately that’s where we are and for me it’s very hard to accept. Mediocrity……….

Theres no connection to any of the players ( leaving out Rennies intake) as we’ve managed to assemble squad after squad of jobbers, and players not fit to wear the jersey.

Until we get a decent standard of player(s) I’ve no doubt we’ll see an uptake in stadium numbers, people signing up and a general “good feel factor” around the club.

Bloody hell it’s been so hard to watch for the past three years.

38 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Try sharing your Facebook page on as many of the local gossip pages and free selling pages as possible, by doing that you can very quickly reach a lot of people, not all will be interested but it’s worth a try

Edited by grumpyoldman

2,806*
400*
500*

*Capacity restricted due to Covid-19

I actually think attendances have held up remarkably well considering we are in the middle of our 4th disastrous season on the park. Will be interesting to see what the crowd is vs Queens Park.

In the original BTB scheme we hit 950 sign-ups in Feb 2019 after 2-3 months. We had just climbed out of the relegation places after being bottom at Christmas so there was a fairly optimistic feeling around the club generally. 

The current FSS has been going for around 2 months so to already be at 330 is pretty good given our current situation. Coming out the other side of the pandemic coupled with better performances on the park will see those numbers shoot up 

6 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

2,806*
400*
500*

I actually think attendances have held up remarkably well considering we are in the middle of our 4th disastrous season on the park. Will be interesting to see what the crowd is vs Queens Park.

In the original BTB scheme we hit 950 sign-ups in Feb 2019 after 2-3 months. We had just climbed out of the relegation places after being bottom at Christmas so there was a fairly optimistic feeling around the club generally. 

The current FSS has been going for around 2 months so to already be at 330 is pretty good given our current situation. Coming out the other side of the pandemic coupled with better performances on the park will see those numbers shoot up 

We include season ticket buyers who don’t turn up in attendance figures so hard to get a true measure. This Saturday v Queens Park is a good direct like for like game - see if we can hit the 4k

47 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Cheers Stuart - so what about my suggestion around stalls outside the stadium on match day ??

I am sure a local bank would send colleagues with iPads along to sign people up on the day ?

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

On 01/02/2022 at 17:24, superandy_07 said:

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2022/01/21/falkirk-fc-supporters-match-day-entry-guide/

I take it this is no longer valid since the guidance has changed to events with over 10K?

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2022/02/03/how-to-watch-falkirk-v-queens-park-2/

Please note that Covid Passport and Lateral Flow Test checks will not be carried out but we do strongly encourage all fans to test before arriving at The Falkirk Stadium.

16 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Cheers Stuart - so what about my suggestion around stalls outside the stadium on match day ??

I am sure a local bank would send colleagues with iPads along to sign people up on the day ?

Yeah, sorry missed that.  I think there was an idea for us to use the old Ladbrokes booth inside the stadium at one stage, then that went sideways because of COVID.  We can re-heat that.

There was also a plan to take directors and staff around the pubs, like the event we did at Behind the Goals before lockdown again.  We'll be moving that forward again.  Face to face is important.

Keep the ideas coming - we need them!

2,806*
400*
500*

I also wonder how many UK based are watching Falkirk TV on a Saturday? I reckon there would be more than a few of us (I include myself on occasion) who find it easier to watch on the box in comfort rather than travel (a fair distance in my case) to watch the game when the weather is terrible and the team is too…..

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

I'm involved in FSS and this is my own opinion not the organisations.

There is no doubt that increases in membership follow good news stories eg Holt going led to a spate of sign ups. My guess is that many more people will join up when (if) we start winning again. There is huge disillusionment around the club - we have lost c. 500 - 750 off the gate from the start of the season.

The FSS first trench of money was paid in (£6k) and will be given to the club each quarter. There should be news soon about the B4L I hope. There are elections for the committee and the Board Members coming up and anyone who is a member by 11 Feb can vote/stand. The more people who stand for election the better - the point of FSS is to be democratic and accountable.

As for publicity - social media eg Facebook, Reddit, etc is the main outlet but we have handed out 2,000 leaflets at home games and have other printed standing orders for those who don't want to sign up online. There are regular email updates about what is happening which are sent to members and then a few days later put up on the website. If you go to https://falkirksupporters.org/#about then you can see what has been happening. Additionally if you want to join or know someone who wants to join then please send them this link: https://falkirksupporters.org/subscribe/

BfL has just handed over £31k.

I think as well as the really good points already made there's still a trust issue to be established with the board. Not this board per se as they're inheriting the sins of their fathers.

But you could list 20 complete fuckups the boards of the last 10 years have done from incorrectly calling fans racist and threatening,  to blaming them for the dreadful standard of player they recruited, the MacKinnon tap up, Hartley's super scout, allowing vermin to work at the club in various capacities etc etc. 

The current people have made a really good start.  The more their decisions mirror those of the fans, and the more there's tangible evidence that Patron and FSS membership isnt just tokenism I think the more fans will join and pledge.

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Theres several circumstances which have impacted the number signing up, especially Covid which has kept fans away from normal routines. However take tomorrow, even with the changes Rennie has made, the majority of fans attending will probably accept anything other than a defeat as good and acceptable. 
Unfortunately that’s where we are and for me it’s very hard to accept. Mediocrity……….

Theres no connection to any of the players ( leaving out Rennies intake) as we’ve managed to assemble squad after squad of jobbers, and players not fit to wear the jersey.

Until we get a decent standard of player(s) I’ve no doubt we’ll see an uptake in stadium numbers, people signing up and a general “good feel factor” around the club.

Bloody hell it’s been so hard to watch for the past three years.

Cove Rangers humiliated Falkirk by showing how to do it with a squad assembled that has had a stable core of players in the crucial positions.

4 managers and near 70 signings over 4 seasons is the reason we have not attracted the required quality. Simply we are seen as a club in a mess and not a reliable and trustworthy employer.

That will take time to rectify so the management and signing should be based on promotion next season.

21 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Which is excellent - here's the link for BFL's page on the FSS website: Falkirk Supporters’ Society | BAIRNforLife

Edited to add: a stretch target, but Falkirk fans could be investing £100k in the club this season, what with this payment and projected FSS subs.  Needs to increase a wee bit, but not far off.  Patrons already invested around about £200k, which made all of this possible in the first place, so the more the other "leg" can bring in, the more chance we have of making this last.  To me, that's the bigger picture.  It's all about working together.

Edited by StuartA
Poor spelling

Guest Brockvillenomore
24 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Quality. What happens with this? Shares or as before. I seem to remember it was shares. Not sure tbh. 

Just now, Brockvillenomore said:

Quality. What happens with this? Shares or as before. I seem to remember it was shares. Not sure tbh. 

Agreement confirmed at B4L's AGM was shares held in FSS pot, and all B4L members also get FSS membership.  So more bang for everyone's buck.  FSS also promotes B4L - see webpage above.