The Falkirk FC Thread

26 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Enjoy your wee spell in the sun.

Once your manager moves on you will revert to your normal position of trying to avoid following Brechin out of the league.

I'm loving it.
We've been in the same position as Brechin where we had to endure week after week of humiliation. You have to suffer the lows to appreciate the highs. At this present tim, there's only one team from yesterdays game following Brechin and it aint us. I think you guys need a reality check if you think you are big team. You guys aren't even a big fish in the small pond that is League 1.

8 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

I'm loving it.
We've been in the same position as Brechin where we had to endure week after week of humiliation. You have to suffer the lows to appreciate the highs. At this present tim, there's only one team from yesterdays game following Brechin and it aint us. I think you guys need a reality check if you think you are big team. You guys aren't even a big fish in the small pond that is League 1.

Impressive head loss given the result yesterday. Ooft 

C03A4A8F-7C19-4CF1-934C-164083BE560A.jpeg

9C0EE8D9-ED07-49DE-A4F3-5C2C8A27BE50.jpeg

Just as the introduction of ATS couldn’t compensate for McKay & Hall, the introduction of Jacobs isn’t enough to compensate  for Nesbitt, McGuffie, Telfer and Miller.

Two of them have to go (in truth, three of them need to go). Jacobs, Morrison, Telfer (if he can actually get his act together) plus the addition of another midfield enforcer type should be enough.

What has been proven over and over is that a midfield trying to accommodate Telfer McGuffie and Nesbitt is a midfield that will ensure we lose again, and again and again. In truth, you would probably be better playing a 5 5 formation and be done with the lot of them.

13 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

I'm loving it.

At least two Lego figures and a rattle launched out of the pram there. What’s it like when you lose?

55 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Relegation talk is a nonsense to be honest.

The recruitment so far has been good, the players brought in are a serious improvement, the problem is there are still too many non performers / donkeys left over from the Sheerin team.

Another strong midfielder and striker and we will certainly be competitive against the teams above us.

Can we get them though?

Most likely we won’t get the required players in, though I imagine we expect more from Mills and Jacobs after a bit longer with the squad. Watson I’d think would get better too (although already comfortably better performance than the guys he’s displaced). 

Agree with most of sentiment about the midfield, just not good enough really yesterday. 

The Mo done more when it counted but for me nothing to fear. Wasn’t like they had us under the the kosh the whole game, not even close to that. Both teams were poor in the 2nd half IMO. Seasons form till now they should have been looking to blow us away - We’d have been pumped with the team prior to the window so we have to take this as progress.

Guest FFC1965

The only positive from yesterday is that we'd have been pumped under Sheerin.  

We've improved, but we're still short of the standard required to make a credible promotion playoff challenge.  

Montrose reminded me of a L1 version of FFC under Houstie - not pretty on the eye but effective.  

We need a few more horrible players 

At this stage my money would be on Airdrie going up via the playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

We've improved, but we're still short of the standard required to make a credible promotion playoff challenge.  

Montrose reminded me of a L1 version of FFC under Houstie - not pretty on the eye but effective.  

You forgetting we drew 2-2 with Montrose under Sheerin earlier on in the season? Played a lot better that day than we did yesterday that's for sure.

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

We actually drew 2-2 away to Montrose under Sheerin. 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

We actually drew 2-2 away to Montrose under Sheerin. 

Yep, that was the day Sheerin openly stated on camera that he was disappointed at having to go two up front in order to salvage a point from being 2-0 down. He said he wanted to get results by gaining territory or some such nonsense. That was the day I had my first major misgivings about him as a manager.

As somebody who loves messing about with and sometimes restoring old motorcycles, there’s huge parallels with what Rennie is faced with.

I have had bikes where you think “just a wee fettle and a wipe down with an oily rag plus maybe paint the petrol tank, and it’ll be good to go”. You do that, then it’s “the new tank makes the seat look crap, so I better change that too”. Before you know it, it’s a complete dismantle as everything you improved makes something else stand out as being crap.

Rennie got the front line looking capable, and of course, the defence looked even more awful. Some changes there, and now the penny has dropped that some of the defensive issues and a lack of service for the front guys is because the midfield is crap.

Think he has brought 5 in, and probably another two or three needed. A full on overhaul yet again.

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Probably go Morrison and Nesbitt in a 442, mins you Morrisons distribution is woeful. I would maybe stick with the 5 at the back and play Jacobs and another ball winning midfielder who can actually pass with Telfer sitting in behind the front two in the no. 10 position in a midfield 3.  I would prefer McCann and Williamson as the two wing backs in the back 5 with Watson, ATS and Mills in the middle.

I can't see Rennie break from 3/5 at the back for now, like Sheerin he has signed players to play the formation he wants, three centre halves signings tells me he will hang his reputation at Falkirk on it. A little movement on it I'd prefer as it can be an unforgiving formation at times. The key is the full backs, if they ain't on it it's a struggle creating.

It's a pity Dixon wasn't on the bench yesterday, that might have made all the difference.

24 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

You forgetting we drew 2-2 with Montrose under Sheerin earlier on in the season? Played a lot better that day than we did yesterday that's for sure.

We got lucky that day, it was 2 going on 5 for Montrose until Sheerin had a brain fart going two up

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

I can't see Rennie break from 3/5 at the back for now, like Sheerin he has signed players to play the formation he wants, three centre halves signings tells me he will hang his reputation at Falkirk on it. A little movement on it I'd prefer as it can be an unforgiving formation at times. The key is the full backs, if they ain't on it it's a struggle creating.

It's a pity Dixon wasn't on the bench yesterday, that might have made all the difference.

We got lucky that day, it was 2 going on 5 for Montrose until Sheerin had a brain fart going two up

My thoughts entirely 

17 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

As somebody who loves messing about with and sometimes restoring old motorcycles, there’s huge parallels with what Rennie is faced with.

I have had bikes where you think “just a wee fettle and a wipe down with an oily rag plus maybe paint the petrol tank, and it’ll be good to go”. You do that, then it’s “the new tank makes the seat look crap, so I better change that too”. Before you know it, it’s a complete dismantle as everything you improved makes something else stand out as being crap.

Rennie got the front line looking capable, and of course, the defence looked even more awful. Some changes there, and now the penny has dropped that some of the defensive issues and a lack of service for the front guys is because the midfield is crap.

Think he has brought 5 in, and probably another two or three needed. A full on overhaul yet again.

The signing and where we got them shows our standing in the great scheme of things.

2 x Livingston fringe player loans. Pars reject. Hull City teenager, Returned loan.

Hopefully this puts an end to the money talks we are a big club nonsense. The quality we want will have better options.

Next few games will make or break Rennie & Millers future at FFC as making the playoffs will be their benchmark.

1 hour ago, PortyMo said:

I'm loving it.

Was it something I said?

30 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Not for me we actually could have won the game had we took our chances. Ruth had two in the first half and one right at the end of the game. Nesbitt also rattled the bar from about 5 yards out. We dominated that game and if it hadn't been for Telfer trying to play football in his own box or Brad Mckay nodding it down to them for their second goal we may have won it.  Was the one game Mcdaid actually bothered to turn up. You don't need to watch them but I can guarantee our highlights from that day were a lot longer than 4/5mins.

Edited by FFC 1876