The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Still feel we need a goalie, another midfielder and a striker.  Chances of us getting them in in time to make a difference though seem slim.  We've gone to Airdrie and Montrose and lost by the odd goal so I wouldn't say we're a country mile behind them. Crazy defending has cost us at least a point in both games.  Formation needs sorted out to get the best out of who we do have. I don't feel the 3 5 2 will do that until we have more steel in the middle of the park . ATS injury is a cut fortunately and Dixon surely must be closer to getting that bloody cast off. We have absolutely feck all on the bench to replace either of our two starting strikers though with Keena away. Wilson and ompreon are simply filling shirts. You know your times up when the manager doesnt put you on when the teams needing a goal and your a striker on the bench. Seems crazy to get rid of Keena and leave yourself with that pair in reserve. Surely another forward must be incoming. If miller starts next week against bloody qp then questions really need to be asked. 

We are 14 and 15 points behind them  both respectively which would suggest they are far better teams. We also have 4 points out of a possible 18 against them.

Montrose and Airdrie are far better than us at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We are 14 and 15 points behind them  both respectively which would suggest they are far better teams. We also have 4 points out of a possible 18 against them.

Montrose and Airdrie are far better than us at the moment.

Overall this season yes but in the two recent games you wouldn't say we were a country mile behind either. We're not getting thrashed 4 or 5 zip by them and both games were on their patches.  Do the basics defensively and you're picking up points in both those games.  Second half yesterday we were poor but Montrose weren't exactly Brazil either.  I didn't see anything that would say with a couple of more additions we couldn't get a result against either at the TFS.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Overall this season yes but in the two recent games you wouldn't say we were a country mile behind either. We're not getting thrashed 4 or 5 zip by them and both games were on their patches.  Do the basics defensively and you're picking up points in both those games.  Second half yesterday we were poor but Montrose weren't exactly Brazil either.  I didn't see anything that would say with a couple of more additions we couldn't get a result against either at the TFS.

Agree with this and as I posted earlier yesterday was a team assembled at the last moment and will certainly improve even with a few more days to learn each other’s names never mind to bind into a functioning unit.

Definitely  need a ball winning midfielder to play alongside Jacobs who was easily the best midfielder yesterday and another striker.

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Agree with this and as I posted earlier yesterday was a team assembled at the last moment and will certainly improve even with a few more days to learn each other’s names never mind to bind into a functioning unit.

Definitely  need a ball winning midfielder to play alongside Jacobs who was easily the best midfielder yesterday and another striker.

Take Gary Miller out and you'll see a vast improvement straight away if you ask me. Goal a game Gary and not in the positive sense.

36 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I’m just at the point where we I’m accepting that Montrose with 14 more points, less than 1/3 of the number of defeats and a GD of 22 better than us might just be better than us.

When you watch the highlights you realise we had ample opportunity to double our lead in the first half and then gave away a stupid goal for the second. I was very disappointed driving back yesterday but we are not that far off I think. I think Hall gets a harder time than he should here but he needs to be replaced now - the ball went through him on the way to their scorer as he ran back and that happens far too often. 

Guest TedCrilly

Did Rennie honestly play Miller LCB and McGuffie LWB? That is up there with the poorest left side of a team I’ve witnessed at Falkirk. 

Montrose are a far better side than us unfortunately with both Ballantyne's having the cigars out for most of the game. We also have absolutely nobody of Gardyne’s quality in our squad.
Well beaten.

Even if we make 4th I can’t see this squad doing anything in the playoffs. 

Edited by TedCrilly

6 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

When you watch the highlights you realise we had ample opportunity to double our lead in the first half and then gave away a stupid goal for the second. I was very disappointed driving back yesterday but we are not that far off I think. I think Hall gets a harder time than he should here but he needs to be replaced now - the ball went through him on the way to their scorer as he ran back and that happens far too often. 

We are miles behind them. We cannot beat any team that is not absolutely shite.
Yes we had chances and yes we made mistakes for their goals…that’s what we do. They took their chances and make less mistakes than us which makes them a better team than us. 
The league table and the number of points they have taken from us show they are better than us, not the number of chances each team create over 90mins. 

22 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

How many pints did you have before the game? Hall wasn't even playing. The striker ran off Gary Miller, which isn't a surprise to be honest, then Paul Watson fucked up the clearance before it fell to Johnston for Montrose. 

Jacobs got stuck in when he came on and actually tried to play a bit of football whilst the rest of the team were playing hoofball. Noticed he was barking at Mills & Williamson after the 1st Montrose goal as well asking the latter why he was so far up the park. 3-5-2 worked for a bit to steady us when Rennie first came in but I think it's just a hinderance now. With better players in we can afford to change back to 4 at the back.

I'd be going with the below for the next game and hopefully we'll see another midfielder & striker in before it.

Mutch
Williamson Mills Watson ATS
Morrison Telfer Jacobs Mccann
Dowds Kabia

Edited by FFC 1876

I think most would agree that with the current squad, even if we got to the play offs, we would be spat out at the first time of asking.

It might yet prove to be the case that where does Rennie actually start in order to get things turned around? For me, he has a decent defence in there now, but they are exposed by having a really poor midfield offering them absolutely zero protection.

Dowds and Kaiba have the potential to be fit for purpose up front, but yesterday they too were exposed by a midfield that simply is unable to provide decent service to them. Unfortunately, Jacobs was too little too late. Just as ATS wasn’t enough on his own to fix the defence, Jacobs (on his own) will never be enough to fix a midfield that cannot defend or attack. It’s going to need the departure of both Miller and probably Nesbitt to turn things around.

So here we are yet again………thrashing around in aJanuary effectively trying to fix a squad that is a complete and utter mess.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Kinda resigned (already) for another season in this league. Playoffs would mask yet another mediocre set of players we’ve assembled & seen since Houston.

Although Rennie has brought in five or so ain’t convinced unless we uncover a gem or two today, or Februarys loan we will get promoted.

Hope I’m wrong, but not sure I was watching the same game as some posts suggest we weren’t far away - are those posters having  a bloody laugh ? 
Montrose looked fitter, more resilient and a player who put our full midfield to shame…

Ad posted new squad 5.6.7 in summer again……

Edited by Springfield

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m just at the point where we I’m accepting that Montrose with 14 more points, less than 1/3 of the number of defeats and a GD of 22 better than us might just be better than us.

They were better than us yesterday although not by a massive amount . We've been brutal so far this season so it's no rocket science that up to now they've been a better side. That doesn't mean with a couple of additions of the right quality we won't be better than them the next time the clubs meet. It wasn't a vast chasm between the two sides that made me think ach we've got no.chance of getting anything off them later in the season even if we improve by adding another couple.

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Hall???

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Kinda resigned (already) for another season in this league. Playoffs would mask yet another mediocre set of players we’ve assembled & seen since Houston.

Although Rennie has brought in five or so ain’t convinced unless we uncover a gem or two today, or Februarys loan we will get promoted.

Hope I’m wrong, but not sure I was watching the same game as some posts suggest we weren’t far away - are those posters having  a bloody laugh ? 
Montrose looked fitter, more resilient and a player who put our full midfield to shame…

Ad posted new squad 5.6.7 in summer again……

We could've and should've been 2 or 3 up before they scored.  We then gifted them two goals. Second half both sides were pretty poor to be honest with few clear cut chances created by either side. Didn't help that the manager kept the same formation for far too long. Montrose were the better side but they weren't a park length ahead of us like qp were the day of the trouncing.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I actually disagree in the sense that this has been the whole season for me. We may have been poor but no team has looked great. Was always going to be the case of a team pulling away if they managed to string a few results together and unfortunately that occurred while we had our worst run. 

I thought the Dumbarton game was a turning point but there’s still considerable  improvement to be done and a lot for Rennie to prove his worth. Still needs a lot more time though to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I actually disagree in the sense that this has been the whole season for me. We may have been poor but no team has looked great. Was always going to be the case of a team pulling away if they managed to string a few results together and unfortunately that occurred while we had our worst run. 

I thought the Dumbarton game was a turning point but there’s still considerable  improvement to be done and a lot for Rennie to prove his worth. Still needs a lot more time though to do that. 

We're still a couple of players away from being truly competitive if you ask me but getting miller to feck would be a start and make a huge difference. He shouldn't be playing for your local pub side never mind us. Another midfielder and a striker with a bit more experience and i could see us starting to get better results. As you say there's no truly outstanding sides there's a group that are well organised give nothing away, a group that are complete dross and us who are a bit better than the dross at the moment but don't do the basics well enough to get results against the better sides.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We had 5 new players in from Sheerin’s team yesterday if you include Dowds and the reality is there is no improvement. That’s nearly half a new team.

It doesn’t seem to matter who we sign, there seems to be little passion or fight about them. 

People who are targeting the play offs are being unrealistic I think - we are not good enough.

We are in this league for the long haul and the reality is teams like Cove, Airdrie and Montrose are far, far better football teams than us now.

I'm amazed fans are still targeting promotion. If we avoid relegation that will do for me. 

We need a huge increase in quality.. recruitment so far looks better but not 'better enough'. We're still at best a mid level League One club. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

The league table never lies,unless it's cut short 😄

We are simply competing for 4th now anything higher would give Rennie the keys to Falkirk. If we can improve, then anything can happen in the play offs.

In recent years I'd say Montrose and Airdrie have under performed in the play offs, TBF our record league up ain't good too but it can be a lottery with either the team in form or just that bit more in class or strength in depth that makes a difference.

I bet Queens park make a managerial appointment this week

Can’t say I was shocked we lost yesterday, they are a better football side than us currently and the league table speaks for itself. Where it sticks in the throat is that 2nd half performance. Not even near the level required. 

Are we the 4th best team in the league? It’ll be between us, Queens Park & maybe Clyde. Next week is huge imho. 

Hopefully we will still get a couple of improvements into the starting X1. It’s certainly needed. 

12 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The league table never lies,unless it's cut short 😄

We are simply competing for 4th now anything higher would give Rennie the keys to Falkirk. If we can improve, then anything can happen in the play offs.

In recent years I'd say Montrose and Airdrie have under performed in the play offs, TBF our record league up ain't good too but it can be a lottery with either the team in form or just that bit more in class or strength in depth that makes a difference.

I bet Queens park make a managerial appointment this week

Exactly. It's all about getting fourth place and improving to a stage where we are better than we are just now.  By May it won't matter a feck how many points we're behind 3rd or 2nd it could come down to just two games with either of those sides you never know. It also won't matter a feck that Montrose or whoever were better than us the now  it will all be about who is the better side come may. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog