The Falkirk FC Thread

13 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Craig, Jakubiak, Neilson & Mochrie all on the bench tonight. 

Jakubiak got on last night so can't see us getting him, especially with Cummings away and Griffiths doing hee-haw for them.

The two guys at United are more gettable and would be great additions, imagine they will be looking for loans to the Championship though 

With Craig joining that should be the starting 11 sorted. A midfield 3 of Craig, Morrison and one of Telfer/ Nesbitt/ McGuffie.

We're still desperately short on cover in defence and up front though. With the others that have come in already I don't think we need anything special, just better than Hall/ McKay and Ompreon/ Wilson 

1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

With Craig joining that should be the starting 11 sorted. A midfield 3 of Craig, Morrison and one of Telfer/ Nesbitt/ McGuffie.

We're still desperately short on cover in defence and up front though. With the others that have come in already I don't think we need anything special, just better than Hall/ McKay and Ompreon/ Wilson 

shouldn't be hard to find someone better then Ompreon or Wilson.

6 minutes ago, LowerLeagueFC said:

shouldn't be hard to find someone better then Ompreon or Wilson.

Taking the glass half full view to its extreme limit but we are now creating more chances so it should mean that Wilson or Ompreon find it easier to score.

Ridiculous thing to say, sorry.

Without trying to burst any bubbles, do we really expect Watson to start on Saturday?  I'm not sure if he's been training with anyone since leaving Scumvermin and he certainly hasn't played any competitive matches so his fitness and match sharpness could be an issue.  Although an unfit and 'blunt' Watson would still be better than the three stooges of Hall, MacKay and Lemon, will our saviour MR take that risk?

Personally I'm not seeing Morrison as an option in a midfield three. He's a bit of a blunt object and is at his best when he's taking defenders on directly. I don't see him having the necessary balance in his play to complement an older Liam Craig or Gary Miller and Charlie Telfer who looks a bit overwhelmed as it is.

Nesbitt and McGuffie flit in and out of play a bit too much for my liking to go into that three as well.

Morrison is a striker in this 3-5-2 or an option off the bench. Nesbitt is a potential option in games against the weakest sides in the division in a midfield three. McGuffie is a player I don't particularly rate anyway but I think he's very much a square peg for a round hole in this formation.

If it's to be Liam Craig, Telfer and one other than I really think we need a third player in who can go box to box and is more physical in their style of play. Alternatively, I view all of our other options as being flawed to a lesser or greater extent unless Hetherington comes back as a new player.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Personally I'm not seeing Morrison as an option in a midfield three. He's a bit of a blunt object and is at his best when he's taking defenders on directly. I don't see him having the necessary balance in his play to complement an older Liam Craig or Gary Miller and Charlie Telfer who looks a bit overwhelmed as it is.

Nesbitt and McGuffie flit in and out of play a bit too much for my liking to go into that three as well.

Morrison is a striker in this 3-5-2 or an option off the bench. Nesbitt is a potential option in games against the weakest sides in the division in a midfield three. McGuffie is a player I don't particularly rate anyway but I think he's very much a square peg for a round hole in this formation.

If it's to be Liam Craig, Telfer and one other than I really think we need a third player in who can go box to box and is more physical in their style of play. Alternatively, I view all of our other options as being flawed to a lesser or greater extent unless Hetherington comes back as a new player.

I agree re Morrison, he doesn't really fit in to the 3-5-2 as he isn't a striker or a 10. Definitely best on the right, the problem is we don't really have anyone to play on the left if we go 4-4-2. As you say McGuffie has been poor there (mainly I think due to his lack of pace) but has improved a bit when playing more centrally. I'd still have Morrison in the starting 11 every week though.

Nesbitt and Telfer should thrive if played in the right position, but having them both in the team at the same time leaves us quite lightweight as you say.

Still plenty to work on for Rennie in terms of our shape and overall balance of play, but for me he's off to a decent start in that he's identified the players that weren't good enough and signed improvements.

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He'll be an improvement on what we have but definitely not the sole solution to our problems in midfield given he's not going to add any energy in there. 

It’s energy we need, we need a big mobile ball winner that will protect the defence and do the simple things like give the ball to the creative players like Telfer, Craig doesn’t fit the bill as far as I’m concerned. 

3 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

It’s energy we need, we need a big mobile ball winner that will protect the defence and do the simple things like give the ball to the creative players like Telfer, Craig doesn’t fit the bill as far as I’m concerned. 

It's not energy we need, it's strength and composure and the ability to pass a ball. Someone to win the the tackles and give the service. Nesbitt is like a duracell bunny, all the energy in the world but like a headless chicken sometimes. 

17 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I agree re Morrison, he doesn't really fit in to the 3-5-2 as he isn't a striker or a 10. Definitely best on the right, the problem is we don't really have anyone to play on the left if we go 4-4-2. As you say McGuffie has been poor there (mainly I think due to his lack of pace) but has improved a bit when playing more centrally. I'd still have Morrison in the starting 11 every week though.

Nesbitt and Telfer should thrive if played in the right position, but having them both in the team at the same time leaves us quite lightweight as you say.

Still plenty to work on for Rennie in terms of our shape and overall balance of play, but for me he's off to a decent start in that he's identified the players that weren't good enough and signed improvements.

Really don’t agree that Morrison is best out wide as his crossing is abysmal.

Played in the 10 role his running would pull defenders all over the place and create space for the two up front to exploit.

22 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:
It's not energy we need, it's strength and composure and the ability to pass a ball. Someone to win the the tackles and give the service. Nesbitt is like a duracell bunny, all the energy in the world but like a headless chicken sometimes. 

I get what you are saying but without energy they will struggle to be in the right place to be able to win the tackles, protect the defence and give the service to the likes of Telfer who in my opinion has the composure and ability to make telling passes. 
Liam Craig is not that type of player

Edited by grumpyoldman