The Falkirk FC Thread

No, there's nothing in the diary until a trip to Montrose on Saturday. Which I'm quite happy about as the last five days have been busy with other things. 
Though if and when that changes I obviously won't be able to comment. 

I take it that means that other signings have already been photographed pending final ink on paper?…

No, there's nothing in the diary until a trip to Montrose on Saturday. Which I'm quite happy about as the last five days have been busy with other things. 
When! He said WHEN that changes!!!!!

Troosers doon lads

7 minutes ago, Albertobotswana said:

Dunno... free entry to the games!

My point is that MR will do a fantastic job for us and I truly hope that he will get us up this year or most likely next season. 

We have a history of losing our best managers to SPL teams who should be doing better. Aberdeen are one such team at this exact moment. 

Obviously if he was a FFC fan, I would expect him to go as far as he can with us (realistically SPL) before moving on.

We have been on the crest of a wave before when the rug was pulled!!

I don't believe that Martin Rennie will be our manager next season. He has a six month deal and, when he joined, the BOD put out a statement saying something along the lines of 'thanking Martin for helping us at this time' or words to that affect. I really hope I'm wrong but I can see him going back to America as that's where his family is.

7 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Hallmarks of a troll 

Lol, a troll since 2009 and only comments on FFC and watches nearly every game.

I would think that past history of us losing good managers to under achieving teams in the SPL is a concern. At this moment we have one of the most promising managers within Scotland, an underachieving Aberdeen and an American link.

Regarding my opinions on us winning the league... is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Probably not. Did we beat Ajax? Too fucking right we did!!

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

In our current predicament, 4th place will more than do.
Little difference between 2nd and 4th…and that includes paltry prize money.
No point setting unrealistic targets…..

Absolutely 100% correct.

The play-offs are more than achievable and I agree that Cove are on course to walk this league.

As a Falkirk fan, I will continue to believe that Cove will crumble and throw it all away.

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't believe that Martin Rennie will be our manager next season. He has a six month deal and, when he joined, the BOD put out a statement saying something along the lines of 'thanking Martin for helping us at this time' or words to that affect. I really hope I'm wrong but I can see him going back to America as that's where his family is.

He said in one of his first interviews that it's a great chance to break into the european management scene as when you are from europe you don't hold American or South Korean football in high regard and likewise they don't hold Scottish football in high regard. I doubt he'd say that if he wasn't looking to be here permanently. It's essentially his chance to put himself in the shop window so if he does exceptionally well he'll get a better offer than us at the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If he is looking for real recognition or to go into the history books as a great manager, he has to get a job in Europe. 

Falkirk in L1 is a great way to start this. We (on paper) should be walking this league and our history suggests quarter finals, semis or if the draw is kind, cup finalists.

Get us prompted into the SPL and a good season or two. Get to a bigger club within Scotland then into the EPL or championship level. 

This is my take on things.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I believe, from Sheerin's time at least, Wednesday was a day off for the players. So hopefully Rennie & Miller are spending today signing up some quality players.

Nah, in Sheerin's time their day off was a Saturday.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

35 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No, there's nothing in the diary until a trip to Montrose on Saturday. Which I'm quite happy about as the last five days have been busy with other club jobs. 

I am sure signing players at this time of year at not in people’s diary till the last minute so keep yourself free BB just in case 😉

Feet on the ground for me regarding where we go from here. QP are obviously the first target. Get to them and pass them then we can think about those above them. Winning the league IMO would be extremely difficult if not nigh on impossible from here. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

On 24/01/2022 at 04:37, Back Post Misses said:

Loving the fact so few rumours are coming out. We have had years of lose lips sinking our ship. 

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am sure signing players at this time of year at not in people’s diary till the last minute so keep yourself free BB just in case 😉

Great to see it’s just a limited number of people leaking stuff. Long may this continue. Much better than the previous mob telling anyone who batted their eyes.

1 hour ago, Albertobotswana said:

Pretty sure he was an Aberdeen fan, his brother was and they hung around with at least 2 Aberdeen fans. (Larbert esp South Broomage was a smaller place in those days).

Add in the American link with Aberdeen, can you see the risk?

Might be wrong but, there wasn't a huge FFC following at Larbert High.

Fundamentally who cares who the manager supported as a kid.
However... his 2 brothers were Aberdeen fans but Martin was a Falkirk fan and IIRC I never saw him with Aberdeen kit (but do recall him wearing a Falkirk tracksuit).

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Scale of that collapse is actually worse than I remember when it’s laid out like that, despite it not being pretty M&M at least had us grinding out results and sitting top on course for promotion before GH arrived. Also no coincidence our collapse coincided almost perfectly with the arrival of Gary Holt! 

The arrival of the esteemed Holt, wasn’t lost on me. Almost to the day he arrived we imploded. 

1 hour ago, Albertobotswana said:

Pretty sure he was an Aberdeen fan, his brother was and they hung around with at least 2 Aberdeen fans. (Larbert esp South Broomage was a smaller place in those days).

Add in the American link with Aberdeen, can you see the risk?

Might be wrong but, there wasn't a huge FFC following at Larbert High.

He prefers Dr Pepper to irn bru too...

19 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Feet on the ground for me regarding where we go from here. QP are obviously the first target. Get to them and pass them then we can think about those above them. Winning the league IMO would be extremely difficult if not nigh on impossible from here. 

Personally I think the rest of the season could be deemed a success if we regain some credibility in order to allow us to attract the correct players for next season.

To get out of this league I view there are 3 ways: a) spend big bucks b) 'organically' grow a team over a number of years or c) augment a semi-decent squad with a few loan players who are a class above.
I think c) in our position is probably the best approach - we've tried and failed with a) and we do not have the patience for b).

One concern I've had is the number of high profile failures for loan players, going back to Irving/Moore from Hearts and Ruth from Aberdeen.
If we don't provide a stable/supportive environment to attract these players then I think that will set us back.