The Falkirk FC Thread

I actually think Rennie might be accepting of going into the Montrose game with Dowds, Kaiba and Watson as his anchor points for now. Sure, he will be looking for more, but that “score one goal more, concede one goal less” mantra (if it works out that way) might be enough to turn those 2-3 and 1-2 defeats into 3-2 and 2-1 wins.

On 24/01/2022 at 21:20, ebobsboy said:

You just hope if Watson is partnered with either of them he isn't dragged down to their level quickly. Watson solid enough as he is isn't blessed with pace to cover their f**k ups. 

Watching you guys against us last week, your  problems are more  midfield than defence. Ok admit we are powder puff upfront so no real challenge for the defence but your midfield was as bad as ours- no creativity, no energy, side ways  or backward passes- cant see you winning against the top half with that midfield- you must be looking to add players in that department- your forwards now a threat but only limited threat if they don't get the ball early - other than 40 yard cross field passes…

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I actually think Rennie might be accepting of going into the Montrose game with Dowds, Kaiba and Watson as his anchor points for now. Sure, he will be looking for more, but that “score one goal more, concede one goal less” mantra (if it works out that way) might be enough to turn those 2-3 and 1-2 defeats into 3-2 and 2-1 wins.

Up until it went south when we got rid of Houston we were never really a defensive team, we always tried to attack as we more or less always has a frontline with some firepower but since Housties departure we haven't had a manager who had a good eye for a player Hartley with his Jan window was about it other than that the rest has been dross.

2 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Wishful thinking but if we went on an absolutely class run no reason as to why we couldn’t get second. Need Jaze and Anton to get 20 -25goals between them - look what happened last year when Thistle had a good January and brought in players like tiffoney. 

Finishing 2nd or 4th basically makes not a jot of difference in this playoff system. Would still need to beat two of 2nd bottom champ, 3rd or 4th in League 1 over 2 legs. Basically zero incentive to finish 2nd over 4th.  

The only slight incentive of finishing second (not that we will) is that you avoid Championship side until the next round (if you make it). If we have a good enough side, then ultimately the difference is slight.

Right
Later today we must sign an experienced defensive midfield thug. Defence looks better with Watson and Dixon being in there. Attack with Dowds and Kabia looks good. Now the midfield. we are too lightweight and lack leadership. If not Craig then someone with dig and command required Make it happen.

I’ve no doubt there’s at least two maybe three to come in. A bit more reassured that Rennie Is identifying the correct pedigree we require, and stopped the scandalous ritual of signing mediocre shite/incumbents. My slight concern and previously posted we’re waiting on traffic moving at the top end to conclude ours…..still a few days 😉

10 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Wishful thinking but if we went on an absolutely class run no reason as to why we couldn’t get second. Need Jaze and Anton to get 20 -25goals between them - look what happened last year when Thistle had a good January and brought in players like tiffoney. 

People keep quoting ' look what Partick done ' going on that run to win the league. It was only made possible by a catastrophic collapse by the team at the top...who happened to be us.

Doubt a fall of that magnitude has happened before or will again. Disastrous stuff from bod, through Holt, the management team and certain players. Have to be thankful we are rid of the vast majority of them.

22 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

People keep quoting ' look what Partick done ' going on that run to win the league. It was only made possible by a catastrophic collapse by the team at the top...who happened to be us.

Doubt a fall of that magnitude has happened before or will again. Disastrous stuff from bod, through Holt, the management team and certain players. Have to be thankful we are rid of the vast majority of them.

Just got to hope Hartley & "Mitch" get back in contact again

34 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

It was "Morton-esque" in feel. Need to check the stats for that, but I fear it would be too sanity-destroying to undertake.

24 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was "Morton-esque" in feel. Need to check the stats for that, but I fear it would be too sanity-destroying to undertake.

Falkirk From January window

P12 W3 L7 D2 GF12 GA19 GD-7

8 points out of a total 36 

Partick from January window

P12 W7 L1 D4 GF31 GA11 GD+20

25 points out of 36

Bearing in mind Particks only loss was against Montrose on the last day once the league was already won with zero to play for. 

Some coincidence that Gary holts tenure began in the January as well. 

So I think it was a mixture of both us being shite and them getting a great run of results. 

Aye you are right that was a sore one to look up 

1 hour ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Only starting collapsing when the bus driver came in saying 'I'm not here to be the next manager' then being manager only a couple months later.  

I think I could've forgiven it all if he wasn't such an arrogant w**k. Away on open goal lapping it up in the summer.

Mind in his first spell he came in days before the Scottish cup semi final. Alex Smith was interim and had won something like 4 games out of 4. Any sensible c**t would've let Smith take charge but not oor Gary! 

After the Clyde game last season we were 7 clear of Partick (who had a game in hand) and 8 clear of Airdrie. We then lost 6 of our last 7 and finished 8 behind Partick and 6 behind Airdrie.

The gap to Airdrie isn't insurmountable, but as others have said the advantages to finishing 2nd over 4th is pretty small. I suppose it gives us the second leg at home for the semi and possibly the final if the championship team lose. There's still a lot longer to go this season but I'd take 4th place right now given our defensive problems.

1622698700_ScreenShot2022-01-26at09_10_38.thumb.png.3b9ecb6ecc2c58a321a6a9c77268f3d8.png

14 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Falkirk From January window

P12 W3 L7 D2 GF12 GA19 GD-7

8 points out of a total 36 

Partick from January window

P12 W7 L1 D4 GF31 GA11 GD+20

25 points out of 36

Bearing in mind Particks only loss was against Montrose on the last day once the league was already won with zero to play for. 

Some coincidence that Gary holts tenure began in the January as well. 

So I think it was a mixture of both us being shite and them getting a great run of results. 

Aye you are right that was a sore one to look up 

Scale of that collapse is actually worse than I remember when it’s laid out like that, despite it not being pretty M&M at least had us grinding out results and sitting top on course for promotion before GH arrived. Also no coincidence our collapse coincided almost perfectly with the arrival of Gary Holt! 

8 hours ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Right
Later today we must sign an experienced defensive midfield thug. Defence looks better with Watson and Dixon being in there. Attack with Dowds and Kabia looks good. Now the midfield. we are too lightweight and lack leadership. If not Craig then someone with dig and command required Make it happen.

Any specific reason why the signing must be later today? Have you got any info?