The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83

I hope the club are working on keeping Rennie for next season, his first transfer window is pissing all over what we have done recently. 

Feels good to have a competent man in charge 😎

2 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I hope the club are working on keeping Rennie for next season, his first transfer window is pissing all over what we have done recently. 

Feels good to have a competent man in charge 😎

To think that bawsack Holt had an entire summer, access to the club scouting "infrastructure", and never managed anything like this, speaks volumes of the lost wages to that man. 

7 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

I never really rated Watson during his first spell. He was an average Championship defender who I felt was never commanding enough in the air. Saying that, he is a far better defender than Hall and McKay combined so a very welcomed addition at this moment in time. Welcome home etc.

He got a bad name when with us, completely unfairly I think. He was perfectly serviceable in the second tier and notched a few goals too. Welcome back Paul.

Even if Watson is not the player he was when he left us, his decline will be much less than the Falkirk team his re-joins.  Good signing.  No transfer fee to pay and most of his wages will be paid by what we paid Keena probably.   Good bit of business from Rennie. :) 

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

10 minutes ago, TedCrilly said:

I never really rated Watson during his first spell. He was an average Championship defender who I felt was never commanding enough in the air. Saying that, he is a far better defender than Hall and McKay combined so a very welcomed addition at this moment in time. Welcome home etc.

I think a lot of us can agree on that. He then however went on to finish 2nd with Dundee United & then won the league the following year with them so I'm happy to admit I was wrong on that one and even happier to see him back at our club.

Watson was fine when he was next to someone who was taking the lead in the pairing (Grant, McCracken) and telling him exactly what to do, but was hopeless when paired next to a dumpling like that blob Gasparotto. Would assume he'll be on the right side of the back three which might suit him if he's got a leader in the middle. Dixon can potentially fulfil that role I'd think. Just great to have McKay and particularly Hall pushed down the pecking order. Hall should never be on the pitch again IMO - one of the all time worst.

Re Keena, I've always liked the idea of him but then the reality when he was on the park was very disappointing. He is technically decent and seems to be a decent finisher around the box but he was never involved enough and doesn't have the physical attributes I'd be looking for. There's probably a level where he'd stand out as players get slower and defenders make more mistakes but he wasn't the answer for us.

Ideally I'd have another centre back, cover at RWB and a striker coming in, but the priority absolutely has to be the centre of midfield now. People seem to want a destroyer/holding player but I think we need legs in there more than anything else. Telfer is getting a bit of stick on here but what's he meant to do when he's got Gary Miller standing on the toes of the defence and whoever the out of position show pony of the week is either side of him. Liam Craig would be a great signing in isolation but would still leave us lacking a big box to box player (Ben Williamson would be the ideal type of player we need but is obviously unavailable). Telfer, Craig and a big athlete seems like a great balance to me.

I can't see us catching any of the top three so that QP game a week on Saturday is massive. I think they're the only team above us that we can realistically catch so we have to beat them at home. Gives us a little bit of time to get Watson, Kubia and hopefully one or two others into the starting XI. Not writing off the Montrose game by any means but that QP game is the biggest of our season so far.

So if all fit we'd look like a back 5 of

Watson Dixon ATS                 

Williamson                                        Mccann

Is Dixon tall/strong enough to play middle of a back 3? Not sure Watson could play middle with Dixon on the right given Dixon is left footed

Delighted Paul Watson is back, he should never have been released. I remember talking to him at the player of the year awards the season where Houston was sacked and Hartley came in. We had that good run that saw us finish 2nd (I think) on the form table after Christmas. He said the team wanted to stay and put things right. Few weeks later Hartley dismantled the full thing.

I always felt out of all our defenders, he could actually play out from that back and was comfortable with the ball at his feet. Delighted he’s back!