The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Russ said:

His last game was away to Montrose where he saved a ball a penalty and generally had a decent game. He was dropped the next week.

He may have saved a penalty but his general play was poor if remember correctly. Pretty sure it was a loose throw from him that led to one of their goals.  Montrose is a decent away day so my memory is hazy 

Guest Caractacus Potts
12 hours ago, Springfield said:

Another incumbent identified by our departed DOF.

Part of a process sanctioned by a BOD, which leaves us with a bunch of absolute shite.

If someone was to ever manage to find their reports on the 20 point profiles of each player Holt brought in then that would be gold. 

Guest TedCrilly

I rate Mutch as a better keeper but he wasn’t unfairly dropped at the time. I’d guess he’d have been back in goal if he hadn’t picked up an injury. Looking back, Mutch cost the goal and defeat against QP then was a shambles (as was everyone) against Alloa. The first goal against Dumbarton between those two displays was very questionable as well. I remember it being a surprise to most that he got a start against Montrose.

3 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

I think it’s clear we need a new goalkeeper, defence is murder but a better keeper would improve us massively 

I reckon priority should be centrehalfs mind you.  Improve them and you might see your keeper gaining a bit of confidence and improving somewhat. Improve  the keeper though and the poor bugger will still have hall and Mackay in front of him. 

Thinking back, yes, Mutch had become less than dependable. One of his stand out gaffs was the Cup game we won up at Gayfield. The goal he gave away that day was like something from a 14 year old school goalie.

The guy was suffering from a major confidence crisis when he was dropped, and Martin is now in exactly the same place……I think the duffers in the defence haven’t helped either.

Thinking back, yes, Mutch had become less than dependable. One of his stand out gaffs was the Cup game we won up at Gayfield. The goal he gave away that day was like something from a 14 year old school goalie.
The guy was suffering from a major confidence crisis when he was dropped, and Martin is now in exactly the same place……I think the duffers in the defence haven’t helped either.
A good back line improves the keeper or a decent keeper gives the back line confidence. We have neither which is our problem

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Mutch isn't much of an upgrade on Martin.  A solid experienced keeper would make less mistakes and also organise the defence better.  

I've been one of Mutch's biggest critics, seen him pull of world class saves in the reserves then throw one in afore he became our No1. His brief starts afore that always had a blunder in him but he did have a purple patch for a period. He may have went more forward if we had an experienced keeper in, the majority have been similar aged keepers or ones with not a great deal of experience.

Just now, Bigbri Bairn said:
32 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

A good back line improves the keeper or a decent keeper gives the back line confidence. We have neither which is our problem

A good defence can make a goalie even when he is substandard, the reverse can't happen week in week out.

The amount of one on ones we give to the opposition is criminal, any keeper is onto a hiding to nothing in those situations.

Guest Ecosse83
2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I reckon priority should be centrehalfs mind you.  Improve them and you might see your keeper gaining a bit of confidence and improving somewhat. Improve  the keeper though and the poor bugger will still have hall and Mackay in front of him. 

Don’t see why we can’t prioritise both positions!