The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Nobody is suggesting that McKay and Hall are an option.
Hartley seems to be getting deals done, successful manager is he, why did we ever sack him

We sacked him because for one reason or another he ditched the very successful formula he'd used at every other team he had managed to instead do something completely and utterly different with us. Now whether it was his idea , or he was just told he had to go with the flow has never really been 100 percent confirmed but given that at every other team he's been successfull at before or after us  he's never used that method my money is very much on it being the latter. 

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's the best way to do it even in the modern game. You put the mileage and effort in and you get results.  This player profile nonsense is a load of complete tosh.

Jesus! 

I like your passion but that is outrageous. Player profiling is what pretty much every club does. We’re not the odd ones out here but we sure as hell will be if we take up your strategy

5 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Jesus! 

I like your passion but that is outrageous. Player profiling is what pretty much every club does. We’re not the odd ones out here but we sure as hell will be if we take up your strategy

You need to see the players in the flesh though.  It's one thing  identifying players but managers need to go and see the players in action not watch them on a TV screen.  I'd like to think we've flung our net a bit wider than simply David Goodwillie, Reynolds and Craig. They aren't exactly players noone else could uncover.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

22 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Jesus! 

Aye, but using player profiling has been a f*cking disaster for us, hasn't it? If it's the "right" way to do it now but we're shite at it, maybe we should go back to doing things the "old fashioned" way - look at players in the flesh and talk to them to convince them to sign for us? And has been said before, how often did JJ go to look at one player and ended up signing another because he saw them playing really well? You don't get that with Liam Corr and his statistics. By the way, is Corr still here?

3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I have been told that the signings we make will make the fans go wow and not in a bad way,but no names were given.

This was from the same guy that told me Rennie was getting the managers job a day before he was announced.

You filthy filthy animal 

Nobody is suggesting that McKay and Hall are an option.
Hartley seems to be getting deals done, successful manager is he, why did we ever sack him

You appear to have forgotten that it was Hartley and his mate that signed us a team of jobbers and for me is a very big part of why we are where we are now…….

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Aye, but using player profiling has been a f*cking disaster for us, hasn't it? If it's the "right" way to do it now but we're shite at it, maybe we should go back to doing things the "old fashioned" way - look at players in the flesh and talk to them to convince them to sign for us? And has been said before, how often did JJ go to look at one player and ended up signing another because he saw them playing really well? You don't get that with Liam Corr and his statistics. By the way, is Corr still here?

When you mean disaster using the Mitch method of trying the Brentford model if that mean signing duds that were well short of what's needed and failing spectacularly then yes we f**ked it.

Holt has managed to surpass that in his signings with his moneyball (did he even watch the film) with players that can play 3 positions which I think to him mean his own position on the field, the subs bench and the treatment table.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

You appear to have forgotten that it was Hartley and his mate that signed us a team of jobbers and for me is a very big part of why we are where we are now…….

You can add MK and BSLM to that as well as part of that reason

57 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Likes of JJ and Brown and  Hughes and Rice used to drive up and down the uk sourcing players.  Not sure managers are as willing to put the mileage in for recruitment these days unfortunately.

Pretty harsh taking a pop at rennie for not travelling the length and breadth of the country sourcing players. The guy has only been in the door a month and its nigh on impossible to plan scouting missions due to covid call offs.

Scouting some random in the backwaters of England strikes me as a real slow burner of a strategy. We need guys that the manager knows will come in and hit the ground running.

You can add MK and BSLM to that as well as part of that reason

The question related to why we got rid of Hartley. However he was the biggest problem for me because his signings and the closing of the academy sent us down and left us in a mess.
The other failed managers you mentioned couldn’t reverse the downward trend rather than create the problem in the first place imo….

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

The question related to why we got rid of Hartley. However he was the biggest problem for me because his signings and the closing of the academy sent us down and left us in a mess.
The other failed managers you mentioned couldn’t reverse the downward trend rather than create the problem in the first place imo….

By the time of the sacking of Hartley they were just throwing darts and hoping one of them hit treble 20 when they were just adding to the issue with lack of continuity the closest they got to it was when the season got prematurely ended because of Covid which I still think we would have won.I think the closing of the academy was definitely just adding to the catalogue of failures and poor decision making.

Watched Telfers pre EF interview and interestingly he sounds as if he is having a dig at the defence (rightly so) as he brings it up a few times.

Edited by AL-FFC

By the time of the sacking of Hartley they were just throwing darts and hoping one of them hit treble 20 when they were just adding to the issue with lack of continuity the closest they got to it was when the season got prematurely ended because of Covid which I still think we would have won.I think the closing of the academy was definitely just adding to the catalogue of failures and poor decision making.

Watched Telfers pre EF interview and interestingly he sounds as if he is having a dig at the defence (rightly so) as he brings it up a few times.

Totally agree. I believe we would have went up rather than Raith, but it’s history now anyway.
I’m so frustrated that here we are still hoping to sign players. The ongoing saga that sinks us deeper and deeper into the mire. No consistency, no long term planning, and no one at the club that you feel a true affiliation with anymore.
Really, 4-5 years on if we had kept the academy we may very well have players at the club to avoid worrying about what McKay and Hall are going to do next….

Its continuity that's costing us another squad rebuilding and being saddled with 2 jobbers on 2 and 3 yr deals (cheers for that one GH).  Justing hoping that Rennie and Miller are that bit of continuity and that we can build from that.

I would rather we took our time to get the right ones in that just sign someone for the sake of placating us lot.

No one needs to come out and say a word to how the hunts going, who we are interested in and I can see both sides of that as we could lose out to another club but the other one is folk just want something/one to talk or moan about.  End of the day we really don't need to know really and they don't need to tell us.

I wasn’t suggesting that we shouldn’t have got rid of Hartley. I was replying to SD on what he deemed to be the criteria for being a successful manager,ie getting deals done

I wasn’t suggesting that we shouldn’t have got rid of Hartley. I was replying to SD on what he deemed to be the criteria for being a successful manager,ie getting deals done

Well I guess signing a bunch of jobbers could count as “getting deals done” [emoji16]

But I get what you mean, however the clear distinction has already been said on here. Cove are going up to the championship next season, whilst we are seen to be stumbling from one disaster to another and getting through players like confetti.
It’s not really a difficult choice for a footballer is it?…