The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don’t think that’s true in most cases. Yes, there are exceptions like McAllister and Megginson but I’d say the vast majority of part time players would take a full time contract if offered.

Good youngsters in particular want to progress in the game and that means going full time.

The other thing is that the exceptions tend to have a good career/business where they’re currently based so they’re not going to give that up to move to the central belt.

I totally disagree with this. A lot of players are playing part time because they choose too as they’re financially better off doing so. Of course there will be younger guys who’ve maybe had to drop down the divisions after being let go by an academy or guys working there way up through the pyramid leagues, however, Id say the majority are playing part time because it suits them

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Think he’ll want to bring the club from the depths of darkness.

As mentioned he’s in the job five minutes and maybe didn’t imagine the enormity of task of getting us out this league. 

Bit early to call any shots but I’d imagine he wants to be here more than the six months.

Of course he does but I think the end of season contract suits both parties success for him will be the playoffs even if we dont go up.

If he does that they will offer him the gig. Looking what he did in Canada and Korea he is a good system and structure organiser on and off the park so the long term plan could be him stepping up in time handing over to Miller.

Of course he does but I think the end of season contract suits both parties success for him will be the playoffs even if we dont go up.
If he does that they will offer him the gig. Looking what he did in Canada and Korea he is a good system and structure organiser on and off the park so the long term plan could be him stepping up in time handing over to Miller.
Said this a while ago. The poor management team have been left with an unenviable task in trying to get this gang anywhere. The winter window has very little opportunities. I would love to see what Rennie could do with a full summer restructure. He has improved us as an attacking force but we will achieve nothing apart from MAYBE a play off spot with our defence options

1 minute ago, BooBairn said:

Had the previous board been this slow in January with regards to signings, they would be getting lambasted. 

Bizarre that we’ve yet to add a couple more players to this current incredibly poor squad.

Certainly looks like we've tried to get DGW, Fox, Craig and Reynolds (a new spine) but failed to get any over the line (thankfully in DGW case).  

Could be that we were never in for any of them but I doubt MR would have wanted to go into last weeks game with no reinforcements far less another game this week.  

Fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow. 

Just now, Proudtobeabairn said:

Certainly looks like we've tried to get DGW, Fox, Craig and Reynolds (a new spine) but failed to get any over the line (thankfully in DGW case).  

Could be that we were never in for any of them but I doubt MR would have wanted to go into last weeks game with no reinforcements far less another game this week.  

Fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow. 

Previous board said they tried for Scott Robinson, Oli Shaw etc… ultimately it still isn’t good enough. 

Gotta find a way to get the desired quality coming to us if we’re gonna get out this league. No reinforcements shortly and our season will be over by the end of January. 

44 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

Previous board said they tried for Scott Robinson, Oli Shaw etc… ultimately it still isn’t good enough. 

Gotta find a way to get the desired quality coming to us if we’re gonna get out this league. No reinforcements shortly and our season will be over by the end of January. 

All damage that has been done by previous boards. We need to rebuild our reputation as it’s in tatters. 

I don’t get why people are getting upset that we haven’t signed anyone yet. If they rushed into a few signings as soon as the window opened and they turned out to be poor, fans would be quick to say they should have been patient to get the correct quality in. Feel like they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t with some of our fans. 

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

All damage that has been done by previous boards. We need to rebuild our reputation as it’s in tatters. 

I don’t get why people are getting upset that we haven’t signed anyone yet. If they rushed into a few signings as soon as the window opened and they turned out to be poor, fans would be quick to say they should have been patient to get the correct quality in. Feel like they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t with some of our fans. 

If they get the right players in few will complain.  The main thing is we get the right quality in for the second half of the season. If it's taking a bit longer then so be it as long as it does happen.

46 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

But it is a hard sell due to the clubs track record and what we have to offer. We ain't a very marketable employer and its all self inflicted.

History of 3 season of hire and fire players and managers

Crap playing squad, league and league position

Management team on contract to end of season

Like it or not these will be factors in signing the standard of player we require. That quality of player will have a higher standard and a more stable club offering a deal.

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

But it is a hard sell due to the clubs track record and what we have to offer. We ain't a very marketable employer and its all self inflicted.

History of 3 season of hire and fire players and managers

Crap playing squad, league and league position

Management team on contract to end of season

Like it or not these will be factors in signing the standard of player we require. That quality of player will have a higher standard and a more stable club offering a deal.

Let’s not forget Deans blaming the supporters too. 

7 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’m maybe out on a limb here but if Rennie and Miller were willing to stay past this season I would be having these talks with them now, the new board may be doing this. From what I’ve seen there is definitely an improvement in the way we are playing, we are creating far more clear cut changes and barring the defensive frailties we could have beaten Airdrie.

I appreciate where you’re coming from with this and don’t necessarily disagree, but I’m also naturally cautious. You had folk on here in August wanting Sheerin tied up long-term because we’d scraped past Airdie and beaten East Kilbride. 

Plenty of excuses being thrown out there - Covid, winter shutdown, 5 subs in the premier league, the plastic pitch, the fact we are a circus…

The facts are our management team told us there would signings this week. You can’t say that if you’ve not got them over the line so I expect a few announcements tomorrow.

If nothing materialises then it’s really poor from all involved. 

1 minute ago, JulioBairn said:

The facts are our management team told us there would signings this week. You can’t say that if you’ve not got them over the line so I expect a few announcements tomorrow.

Did they actually say that? I’m genuinely asking and not being facetious because if they did I didn’t catch that.

13 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Did they actually say that? I’m genuinely asking and not being facetious because if they did I didn’t catch that.

Kenny Miller when asked used the word “imminent”. My take on that is deal/deals are done or nearly done. 
Clearly something has happened, which they did not expect. 

Martin Rennie also said when asked about recruitment after the Airdrie game “I’m confident that next week we’ll have some good news”

Not a guarantee of signings but not a clever thing to say if there’s no signings. Suggests they are struggling to get deals done. Still got tomorrow tho…