The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:
1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:
Ahhh the good old days

I remember when Gornik played at Brockville and Lubanski scored a couple. Dream of us reaching the heights where big teams want to play friendlies against us instead of a game against Camelon Juniors

46 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Still have newspaper clippings about the Texaco Cup games against Coventry City. Was it Setterington that scored? Went to the away tie and was a disappointed 12 year old on the way up the road.

The longer that we stay in this shithole of a league, what we are inevitably going to see are more and more posts like these, reminiscing about the good old days - depressing as f*ck!

Makes me think of the lyrics in the theme tune for "Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads":

Oh what happened to you?
Whatever happened to me?
What became of the people we used to be?
Tomorrow's almost over, today went by so fast
It's the only thing to look forward to, the past

Anyway, I was at the Gornik and Coventry games too! 😉

1 hour ago, Bigbri Bairn said:
2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:
Ahhh the good old days

I remember when Gornik played at Brockville and Lubanski scored a couple. Dream of us reaching the heights where big teams want to play friendlies against us instead of a game against Camelon Juniors

They absolutely read us our horoscope that night. Didn’t they go and gubbRangers at Ibrox shortly afterwards? Lubanski was so far ahead of everyone else.

22 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Having 3 at the back really doesn't make a difference as to whether a formation is attacking or defensive. It is what it in front of them that matters

For example:

3 at the back with one holding mid and 2 forward thinking/creative players = attacking

3 at the back with 2 sitting midfielders = defensive.

The role of the wing back is typically the same regardless.

Stats say otherwise currently, 111 games to score 9 goals previously, we did it in our last 3 games

Edited by MrDust

11 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

The alarm bells will be ringing if we still have McKay and Hall at the end of the window as a starting pair, everyone keeps yapping about the playoffs if the recruitment is pants it'll be the ones at the bottom of the table. 

It’s going to be a real challenge to recruit players in this window outside 6 month loans given our manager is effectively on a 6 month trial. That’s not the managers fault btw, it was the approach the new board have taken - time will tell if it’s the right approach or not.

Unless we bring in a quality spine to the team, we will probably just about avoid the relegation playoffs but I think talk of the promotion playoffs is premature.

43 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s going to be a real challenge to recruit players in this window outside 6 month loans given our manager is effectively on a 6 month trial. That’s not the managers fault btw, it was the approach the new board have taken - time will tell if it’s the right approach or not.

Unless we bring in a quality spine to the team, we will probably just about avoid the relegation playoffs but I think talk of the promotion playoffs is premature.

Good post, more or summaries the last few pages.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t necessarily agree with this. Most players will sign a contract knowing there is a very good chance they’ll outlast the manager. Even if Rennie was on a 2 year deal, players would sign knowing that if things go wrong he could be out by the summer

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Todays hopefully the day emoji1696.png

Hope so, I've been refreshing this and the COYB page for the past week. 

I'm desperate for us to sign someone but I'd much rather Rennie took his time because I'm fed up of us signing quantity over quality. 

11 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

I’ll confidently tell you we were never in for Reynolds, you are never gonna get someone of that age to relocate for the wages we can offer. 

I'm sure I read he stays in broughty ferry. Surely wouldn't need to relocate from there.

We're not looking at an entire rebuild at the moment to be very competitive in this league. Airdrie weren't streets ahead on saturday and they're second top. 3 decent signings and we should be able to get results against anyone in league one . Fans are looking for something positive to invest in. Whether that's next year's season ticket  or joining the supporters society they want to see something palpable from the new board and manager.  If we just freewheel from now till may your not going to get much enthusiasm for either.

Guest Caractacus Potts
25 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

If we were in for Reynolds, which we don't know if we were apart from hearsay, we probably missed out because he might fancy playing in the Championship next season with Cove rather than slugging it out down here in league 1 with us, which is looking likely

That’s a fair point. Cove look odds on to win the league and bar a miracle, there’s no chance we’ll get automatic promotion. 

26 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

If we were in for Reynolds, which we don't know if we were apart from hearsay, we probably missed out because he might fancy playing in the Championship next season with Cove rather than slugging it out down here in league 1 with us, which is looking likely

I'm fairly sure he lives in or very near Aberdeen too.

Likewise Gardyne, who's from Dundee and signed for Montrose.  You'll find 95% of players in the Championship and League One sign for a club based on personal circumstances or knowing someone at the club who they class as a friend.

We are all well down the line with targets

the people coming in will be sooner rather than later.

12+ days since Kenny Miller uttered those quotes

As Dick Campbell would say, with those estimations KM can come and measure my carpets 🙄📏